Earl in town

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Bell is typically pretty touchy. I stopped following him a year ago.

Jville

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1knec8w0 said:
Jville":1knec8w0 said:
This all reminds me of the gossip columnists that grew up around celebrities during the golden years of Hollywood. Same thing happen to the NFL. I suppose Earl Thomas was/is something of a celebrity. So it follows he would attract an audience of gossip about his every move and statement. It may not be meaningful news but interest in gossip follows him everywhere.

Social media has blurred the lines for sure. But IMO Bell is out of line, like this is some affront to journalism.

This is sports now, this is news fans care about, even if Bell thinks it's sensationalistic. Rappaport didn't mislead, he just said Earl was spotted at Seatac.

Btw, this is a good thing. Gimme me all the news 24/7 in live time, and let me parse through it and decide if it's good or not. Bell sounds like an old curmudgeon writer that wants us all waiting until the morning paper to arrive to read his hot take on something that happened two days ago.

Bell is just reflecting on his thoughts about days gone by and what once was. No harm in that. Different reporters for different audiences along with different play by play announcers and different current event outlets. Diversity is good. We can all pick and chose.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jville":3dj8i1uw said:
Sgt. Largent":3dj8i1uw said:
Jville":3dj8i1uw said:
This all reminds me of the gossip columnists that grew up around celebrities during the golden years of Hollywood. Same thing happen to the NFL. I suppose Earl Thomas was/is something of a celebrity. So it follows he would attract an audience of gossip about his every move and statement. It may not be meaningful news but interest in gossip follows him everywhere.

Social media has blurred the lines for sure. But IMO Bell is out of line, like this is some affront to journalism.

This is sports now, this is news fans care about, even if Bell thinks it's sensationalistic. Rappaport didn't mislead, he just said Earl was spotted at Seatac.

Btw, this is a good thing. Gimme me all the news 24/7 in live time, and let me parse through it and decide if it's good or not. Bell sounds like an old curmudgeon writer that wants us all waiting until the morning paper to arrive to read his hot take on something that happened two days ago.

Bell is just reflecting on his thoughts about days gone by and what once was. No harm in that. Different reporters for different audiences along with different play by play announcers and different current event outlets. Diversity is good. We can all pick and chose.

But that's the thing, I don't think Bell wants diversity.

He's like to go back to an antiquated time where we're all reading the paper waiting on reporters like Bell to give us the facts and stories.

Rappaport and others know that in order to stay up with social media and connect with fans, they have to Tweet and report things like this..........because as I said, fans do care about an Earl sighting at the airport.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":f15sy1l1 said:
Jville":f15sy1l1 said:
Sgt. Largent":f15sy1l1 said:
Jville":f15sy1l1 said:

He's like to go back to an antiquated time where we're all reading the paper waiting on reporters like Bell to give us the facts and stories.

Rappaport and others know that in order to stay up with social media and connect with fans, they have to Tweet and report things like this..........because as I said, fans do care about an Earl sighting at the airport.

Disagree!!

Bell was not going after Rappaport, he was going after twitter blowing up on the original post and all the stupid BS speculation about absolutely nothing! He was on 950 this morning and pretty much said that.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vhjpalp said:
Jville":1vhjpalp said:
Sgt. Largent":1vhjpalp said:
Jville":1vhjpalp said:

Oh you mean a time when you had actual facts and collaberation before you released a story as not to ruin a reputation and be liable for something reported incorrectly. Yeah those were bad times indeed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":3dm7teys said:
Oh you mean a time when you had actual facts and collaberation before you released a story as not to ruin a reputation and be liable for something reported incorrectly. Yeah those were bad times indeed.

I think you mean corroboration.

Rappaport didn't report anything inaccurately. In fact he explained that Earl's daughter was starting school.

Bell's the one who decided to get butthurt about the Tweet, and I expect it had more to do with Rap scooping him on his turf.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3nh3nxu0 said:
Bell is typically pretty touchy. I stopped following him a year ago.

He's pretty full of himself, that's for sure. And for someone bemoaning the modern state of journalism, he sure likes retweeting his columns multiple times a day.

Good writer, though.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":29kqafz4 said:
chris98251":29kqafz4 said:

I think you mean corroboration.

Rappaport didn't report anything inaccurately. In fact he explained that Earl's daughter was starting school.

Bell's the one who decided to get butthurt about the Tweet, and I expect it had more to do with Rap scooping him on his turf.

Yes your correct, damn spell checker :)

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":1qwbbq4e said:
Sgt. Largent":1qwbbq4e said:
Jville":1qwbbq4e said:
Sgt. Largent":1qwbbq4e said:

This!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jazzhawk

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
getnasty":6jafz6w9 said:
Sgt. Largent":6jafz6w9 said:
KitsapGuy":6jafz6w9 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1036692333008379904[/tweet]

Sounds like sour grapes from Bell that Rappaport scooped the story..........and maybe he's only back for his daughter, and maybe he's getting ready to report.

Either way, this is news. Earl's holding out, so fans would want to know if Earl landed in Seattle.

Agreed! Get off your high horse Bell you would have done the same thing had you been the first to it.
Turns out he WAS here to show up for work.

Rocket

Reaction score
toffee":k1bo0dse said:
chris98251":k1bo0dse said:
Sgt. Largent":k1bo0dse said:
Jville":k1bo0dse said:

This!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep... been sayin' that for YEARS

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2sogj8q3 said:
getnasty":2sogj8q3 said:
Sgt. Largent":2sogj8q3 said:
KitsapGuy":2sogj8q3 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1036692333008379904[/tweet]

Sounds like sour grapes from Bell that Rappaport scooped the story..........and maybe he's only back for his daughter, and maybe he's getting ready to report.

Either way, this is news. Earl's holding out, so fans would want to know if Earl landed in Seattle.

Agreed! Get off your high horse Bell you would have done the same thing had you been the first to it.
Turns out he WAS here to show up for work.

Bell wants you to wait for HIM to report that Earl showed up to report.................three days later when he writes about it in the paper.

Like I said, sour grapes cause he got scooped by a national reporter.

Latest posts