Early Draft Grade

Largent80

Reaction score
Yeah, It's EARLY, however....

A tone was set. Especially on defense. Hard hitting players that love playing the game selected across the board.

The good news is that transcended to offense.

Time will tell how this shakes out but I have a real good feeling of this class, and this is before UDFA.

Grade B

AgentDib

Reaction score
Our competition going into training camp is still a bit light at edge/speed rush but looks pretty good everywhere else.

I don't think grades make any sense until we see the rookies in live NFL games.

chris98251

Reaction score
AgentDib":25z1x0ge said:
Our competition going into training camp is still a bit light at edge/speed rush but looks pretty good everywhere else.

I don't think grades make any sense until we see the rookies in live NFL games.

We will have more to add to the conversation I am betting in a couple weeks.

Rat

Reaction score
I'd go with a solid B too. We got a lot of good-to-great players, but we really needed to upgrade the pass rush through this draft, and I'm not convinced we did. I wasn't a big fan of the first two trade downs, although I expect some disagreement on that. I wonder what kind of quality we might have missed out on with those early moves; I doubt we'll ever hear if Schneider and Carroll really got who they were targeting with them.

I would have taken Parris Campbell where we drafted Blair, and then might have targeted a safety with one of those two third rounders (wouldn't have traded up for Metcalf in that scenario). Keep in mind though, I'm a big-ass Buckeyes homer.

James in PA

Reaction score
B sounds about right. Very good haul especially for what we started with before the Clark trade. Probably most excited about the Blair and Metcalf picks. I would have given them an A if they would have landed one more stud DE.

The national media? No doubt we’ll get plenty of C and lower grades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getnasty

Reaction score
I like rounds 4-7 way more then i did 1-3. I'd give them a C but only time will tell how we did.

12thbrah

Reaction score
I think the FO did an amazing job this draft.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/sethwalder/status/1121999094803836928[/tweet]

sdog1981

Reaction score
The first thing everyone needs to remember is bad teams get good draft grades because they draft players that people in the media know. So for about a decade, the Lions and Cardinals would get A's and B's for there draft grades and they would win 5 games a season.

So my report card looks like this:

The Auto F group. These GMs are bad and they will always pick the wrong player.

NY Giants
Cardinals
Raiders
Buffalo

The Lowest score is a B group. These are teams that just win 10 games a season, they find good players in the draft in every round.

New England
Pittsburgh
LA Rams
Eagles
Seahawks
Saints

Then the other teams all get Cs

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm seeing a lot of attitude and passion in this group that makes the 2013-2017 groups look positively milquetoast (known exceptions aside). I think it's going to end up being a B+ draft in retrospect, maybe higher.

AgentDib

Reaction score
chris98251":1bysox12 said:
Agreed. I might be a broken record on how often this regime adds veteran FA DL depth, but that's because it's clearly a major component to their strategy at DL. Pete just loves a deep rotation with tons of experience.

sutz

Reaction score
AgentDib":3k3uages said:
chris98251":3k3uages said:
Agreed. I might be a broken record on how often this regime adds veteran FA DL depth, but that's because it's clearly a major component to their strategy at DL. Pete just loves a deep rotation with tons of experience.
Perhaps because it is rare for DL to offer major contributions in their rookie season. So we drafted a couple of DL and I agree with others that we'll be hitting the FA market for a vet or two. Without the Clark contract, we should have a bit of cash to spend.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Early grade?

The answer is a solid “A”

It’s easy to be frustrated if they didn’t pick who you wanted but we’re really talking about a bunch of stuff on paper and a handful of video clips.

There is a butt load of potential in this class for the Seahawks. If half of these guys live up to half of their potential, and 1-2 do live up to it, we will look back as this class being one of the best ever.

I’m big on LJ &DK, imagine if they both pan out. That potential alone makes the early grade a “B”.

How can we not give the FO an early “A”

Obviously the final could be an “F” but that’s 3,4, 5 years away.

This is MHO, YMMV
GoHawks.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
In terms of how they turned 4picks into 11 garners them an A+! The way they manipulate and maneuver through the draft is off the charts. We can’t really even begin to grade the players they picked until at least training camp and preseason games when we can see them in action against their peers on an even playing field. If we try to grade them before that, we are basing our subjectivity on how they rank according to their mock draft statuses. I’m happy with the positions they addressed. I’m hopeful that a handful of these guys will be good players. Check back in a couple years.

quadsas

Reaction score
Based on obvious potential, this could be A+ draft. Therefore B+ is fair, drafting is all about putting yourself in position to succeed, and I think John and Pete did a great job this year. Sadly Penny is still on the team, but we got a bunch of picks regardless, all Day 1 and 2 picks actually seem solid, unlike in previous years when you would kinda go ehhhhhh

Yxes1122

Reaction score
This is another draft with a consistent theme. They went violent. And more than that I think it’s an indicator of what they think they need to win in this league.

I think Seattle is one (good) draft away from a rebuilt team. We now have a lot of depth at LB and secondary which is the first time we could say that in years. We have depth at RB, OL, WR as well.

The lack of pass rush this year is going to hurt. A lot. So get ready for frustrating losses because QBs had all day. But Seattle has a lot of young guys that are going to get a lot of reps this year. I like that. Rasheem Green badly needed to add weight to his frame last year (he was 21) and so did Jacob Martin. Neither have Frank Clark’s ceiling but Chris Clemons? Maybe. We’ll learn a lot about Pete’s new vision this year.

I give this draft a B. I would rather take all the quality depth they added to this team over a Montez Sweat or Jeffery Tillerly. Preseason might actually be fun again.

Own The West

Reaction score
I liked this draft. Even if we only get 2-3 starters out of it, I’d give it an A.

This offense has been painful to watch since Beast left and we went from smash mouth to finesse offense.

And, as the LOB aged and got injured, we turned soft on D as well.

We’ve got a bunch of guys now that will run over you if they can’t run by you. It reminds me of Pete’s first years when, even if you beat us, you’d lose the next week because you were still recovering. I look forward to that brand of football again.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I don’t get the Penny hate on this board. I thought he showed amazing ability once he got his chance and he’s a nice addition to a one-two punch with Carson. Despite losing Davis, I still think we are going to steamroll teams on the ground.
I don’t grade drafts until they start playing. I do like it when the media gives us poor grades. Remember 2012?
Right now, the grades are too high from the media. I am superstitious like that. :laugh:
My favorite pick of the draft is DK.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":vf8gwbrs said:
I don’t get the Penny hate on this board. I thought he showed amazing ability once he got his chance and he’s a nice addition to a one-two punch with Carson. Despite losing Davis, I still think we are going to steamroll teams on the ground.
I don’t grade drafts until they start playing. I do like it when the media gives us poor grades. Remember 2012?
Right now, the grades are too high from the media. I am superstitious like that. :laugh:
My favorite pick of the draft is DK.

No kidding huh? He was a Rookie, behind a running back that mowed defensive players over, got a buttload of yards after contact, and wore down defenses. Plus there was Mike Davis who played well and was also a veteran player. Both of the starting running backs had experience pass blocking so it is expected that they get the initial reps.

Rashad Penny got injured early on so that put him behind, but when he got his chances...Holy Shit! Those run reverses he pulled off were phenomenal!

To quote "Juice's" comment for "Hollywood," " Bless 'em My Boy! "

chris98251

Reaction score
But But this player was there instead...…………………………….

Latest posts