Eating crow : our defense

Chawker

Reaction score
My opinion earler this year was not very favorable to our defense and I need to say how wrong it was to ridicule the players and coaching staff. After todays performance the defense is operating like a well greased machine and are playing up to a standard that we all can be proud of.

Cheers

Mick063

Reaction score
Kyler Murray didn't look dysfunctional against Minnesota. Daniel Jones looked like a world beater against Jacksonville a week ago. I'm starting to move away from the "its the competition" idea as a partial explanation for the defensive reversal because.........

People that openly criticized the defense three weeks ago were not wrong.

The only explanation for the complete reversal is coaching. The defensive line simply does not look like the same unit. The coaches did something to turn it all around. It may be the best coaching feat I have witnessed in the 50 years I have been watching pro football.

Can Bruce Irvin make that much difference?

Anyone know the status of the safety that hobbled off? I think he is one of the key parts for all of this.

Nunya

Reaction score
Kyler Murray didn't look dysfunctional against Minnesota. Daniel Jones looked like a world beater against Jacksonville a week ago. I'm starting to move away from the "its the competition" idea as a partial explanation for the defensive reversal because.........

The only explanation for the complete reversal is coaching. The defensive line simply does not look like the same unit. The coaches did something to turn it all around. It may be the best coaching feat I have witnessed in the 50 years I have been watching pro football.

Anyone know the status of the safety that hobbled off? I think he is one of the key parts for all of this.
If you are talking about Ryan Neal, it was just cramps. He tried to fight through it and re-entered the game, but the cramps still hampered him.

Polk738

Reaction score

I would contribute it to a few things:

1. The defensive line is running more of thier traditional alignments with less two gapping and more single gapping, this makes the D-line more aggressive and less "reactive" against the run, saw a perfect example of this today when Bruce Irvin had enough of Daniel Jone's bs and threw him into Barkley getting a huge TFL.

2. The secondary is playing MUCH better, Ryan Neal has been a huge addition and it just looks like they are communicating better, Tariq might already be scaring QBs to throw his way, he didn't get much thrown at him and I think he only gave up one catch.

3. The pass rushers are set out wider, I think this gives them more speed to beat tackles to the point of attack- DT has looked much improved and Chenna is feasting as well

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Cody Barton is still garbage.
garbage eh? as they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure...

...except for cody barton 😭. nobody will want him when we discard him. i wonder if teams will laugh at us still playing barton after 8 horrific games. he's gotta be PFF's worst graded player so far. dammit, pete.

Polk738

Reaction score
He MIGHT turn it around, I mean....I think I actually saw LJ Collier make a play today so obviously strange things can happen on this defense apparently

Rainger

Reaction score
My opinion earler this year was not very favorable to our defense and I need to say how wrong it was to ridicule the players and coaching staff. After todays performance the defense is operating like a well greased machine and are playing up to a standard that we all can be proud of.

Cheers
Well done, but stay strong when they have a bad game because it will come. However this D will continue to gel and improve and will be awesome next year.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I think our defense has improved, that said, we'll see next week when we play the Cards. Giants, yeah 6-1... but, they have no receivers to speak of and it was easy just to contain Barkley.