Elite.

Red Beard

Reaction score
If it hasn't been stated already....

Even when we lose, we were in position to win going all the way back to the beginning of last year. Our worst loss since the beginning of last year has been by 7 points, one possession to the 49ers down in San Francisco. Elite teams find ways to win when everything seems to be going wrong. Blowout wins every other week would be nice, but I'd rather save those for the playoffs and put an exclamation point on our season.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I would define Elite as top 5.

Without actually looking up the stats, I'm guessing:

Run D. Check
Pass D. Check
Scoring D. Check
Total Yards. Check

Running Offense. Check
Passing Offense. _______
Scoring Offense. ______
Total Yards. ______

Check all the blanks and then we can be Elite on both sides of the ball.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
No.

Or maybe.

Since the term "elite" is entirely subjective.

But if you take the general assumptions that people make from the use of the term or the context in which it is generally used? No.

The short explanation is that even SB teams generally don't get considered elite. You have to win consistently, including championships or be so obviously dominant over the competition over some period of time that you separate yourself. Elite implies best of breed, and you don't get that label after a few low tier playoff wins. A team that hasn't even won a divisional playoff round certainly does not get it if a team that wins a SB doesn't.

Elite is subjective but it is generally reserved for teams that are consistently better than the competition AND in the NFL consistently either in the SB or making it deep into the playoffs with at least one IF NOT MULTIPLE SB wins. That is not etched in stone, but is usually the underlying assumption when terms like that are used.

We have had a very good team for a relatively short period of time, that was dominant for the latter half of one year (last year). That does not pass the sniff test in using the label Elite but it doesn't mean it cannot be earned with some wins over time.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Aros":1tydu7c1 said:
Are we "Elite"? It's an honest question because I don't even know what the parameters and definition is of being an Elite NFL team. For me, I think an elite team is one that wins the majority of their games (obviously) and is loaded top to bottom with talented players who show up on game day. Personally, I think the Seahawks are an Elite team but I'm curious to hear what others think and what defines "Elite" for you.
I'd say we're definitely are on the cusp of being an "ELITE" team, I mean, they are finding ways to win, even with injuries to top key players.
I believe we go over the top when we get a few more of those injured players back in the tizzy fray a little later in the Season, and we don't draw any more injury hits.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Rocket":2xbzxn55 said:
SacHawk2.0":2xbzxn55 said:
Elite, potentially historic if all cylinders are firing.

We just need to change a few plugs and adjust our points.
Lol points how bout we rip that sucker out and put in a MSD ignition!

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I've gotten the uncomfortable feeling lately that word has gotten out around the league on how to beat, or at least slow down and counteract the Seahawks attack on both sides of the ball. You know damn well that the very talented coaches on every team that we play this season have spent countless hours in the film room looking at our tendencies and figuring out ways to stop us. And so far it looks like they've been having success, but they don't quite have the horses to stop us with our stacked roster. And you gotta say we've had our share of luck as well, at least in a couple of those wins. I just keep holding out hope that we mirror last year, and come out smokin' for the last 8, especially with our missing pieces coming back. I, for one, am looking forward to it!

kearly

Reaction score
There are two factors in play: how good a team actually is and how well they play on any given Sunday.

Jacksonville was within 2 points of Denver deep into the 2nd half, at Denver. Denver is such a vastly better team that the difference in on field play vs. potential play would have to enormously favor Jacksonville to even be in that situation.

Right now the Seahawks are an elite team. But performance wise, there are issues. I do not automatically tie performance to quality of team. If you need another example, consider last year's Chiefs vs. this year's Chiefs.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":267cckaw said:
Elite, potentially historic if all cylinders are firing.
We're elite now--screw the damn cylinders. We'll just be MORE elite when the cylinders are all back in play. Just like some hogs are more EQUAL...

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Of course we're elite. 13-3 in our past 16, with the 3 losses being by 3 pts, 2 pts, and 6 pts, all on the road. Absolutely freaking dominant at home + good on the road = ELITE. Plus, I don't think there's a person here who doesn't think we'll be better than ever as the season winds down

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like for a lot of people being elite is a lot like having that "IT" factor. You know you have it when you see it but it's hard to quantify.

rsm650

Reaction score
Like many people said before in other threads, our OL is pretty bad. Elite teams can protect their QB consistently. I've seen our OL occasionally give Wilson enough time to make reads instead of taking off immediately, but it's not nearly consistent enough. We're really missing Okung and possibly Giacomini. Even before, with the OL healthy, we struggled half the time to protect Wilson. That being said, our D, QB, and RB are pretty elite, while our WRs are around average. Since you asked if the Seahawks were elite in general, then no they are not (that is if they aren't playing at Clink ;) )

seabowl

Reaction score
SonicHawk":usw38u21 said:
No, but we're damn close.

We very well could have had 3 or 4 losses if not for the incredible play of our QB. We are far far far away from elite. Can't even believe that word was even posed for a question. Denver is the only elite team as of now and even they are questionable.

firebee

Reaction score
My idea of an elite team is a team that's capable of competing for Super Bowls for the next 5-10 years... a team expected to be in the playoffs for the next 5-10 years. A team that can still win games with half their offensive line missing and star defensive players missing because they have a QB that makes great decisions, a smashmouth running game and an opportunistic defense with good fundamentals. Are we an elite team... I'd say yes.

cacksman

Reaction score
chawx":14ncpefg said:
At no point will the Seahawks drop below the 3rd or 4th best team in the league, and, for the most part, should hover around 1st and 2nd, I think that pretty much puts us in the "Elite" category.

Pete summed it up when he said, "we're learning while we're winning" ...that's a very scary thought for the league as well as the teams in our division.

THIS. Yes we are elite.

plyka

Reaction score
Aros":3n348l8m said:
Are we "Elite"? It's an honest question because I don't even know what the parameters and definition is of being an Elite NFL team. For me, I think an elite team is one that wins the majority of their games (obviously) and is loaded top to bottom with talented players who show up on game day. Personally, I think the Seahawks are an Elite team but I'm curious to hear what others think and what defines "Elite" for you.

Yeah, the Hawks are elite. There is no team that has a 5-1 record which is not considered elite in my book. The question is not elite / not elite, but SB caliber or not. This team can win it this year --just let that sit with you for a sec --this team CAN win the Superbowl this year! Something we haven't been able to say since 2005, and before that, perhaps forever. It's great. They CAN WIN IT! But not with how they are playing now, and this is the rub. This is why so many people are unsatisfied. Not that the Hawks are not great, but if the Hawks had to go through the playoffs today, playing the way they have, I don't see how they would win the SuperBowl.

The Defense is best in the league. The offense has the ability to be top 5. But they really need to cut down on the mistakes and open up that attack. It's the passing game which is lacking. It's the offensive coordinator which needs to open it up, tell Russell to take a few more risks, and attack the entire field. The HAwks simply do not attack the middle of the field with passing. It's almost as if they are too scared to give it a go, and I don't understand why.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Elite to me means the best of the best. It still has some sorting out to do, but we are in the conversation.

No doubt.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
seabowl":2qzn41oz said:
We are far far far away from elite. Can't even believe that word was even posed for a question. Denver is the only elite team as of now and even they are questionable.

Well excuse me Your Highness for proposing a question that clearly by the response was a valid topic of conversation. Sorry it was such a disappointment to you.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
rsm650":2z3d9kmd said:
Like many people said before in other threads, our OL is pretty bad. Elite teams can protect their QB consistently. I've seen our OL occasionally give Wilson enough time to make reads instead of taking off immediately, but it's not nearly consistent enough. We're really missing Okung and possibly Giacomini. Even before, with the OL healthy, we struggled half the time to protect Wilson. That being said, our D, QB, and RB are pretty elite, while our WRs are around average. Since you asked if the Seahawks were elite in general, then no they are not (that is if they aren't playing at Clink ;) )

I think our recievers would be considered a lot more highly if the O line gave RW the time to survey the field, and, hopefully Russell isn't getting into some bad habits because of this. He has not seen open recievers more times that I care to remember because of this. Even though we'll be drafting 32nd next year, we need some new blood on the oline.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
No, they are not elite, but let me explain that. I view elite as being upper-class; an insolent social tier that doesn't associate or concern itself with matters of the common man.

On the contrary, most all of our players bring their lunch box to work, stay grounded and work hard at their craft. They actually listen to coaches/vets and realize what it's going to take to get to that next level of play. They are very much a blue-collar, tough-as-nails team that stays very real about opponents...and that's part of why they don't lose games by more than a touchdown. They underestimate no one and give them the respect they deserve. To truly love and be a student of the game, you have to appreciate what an opponent can bring and also appreciate the struggles that will inevitably happen to get wins in this league.

Although they keep it real, this IS a very prideful and confident bunch, but I don't confuse this with being 'elite' We have a scrappy team that never gives up and can beat anybody, but something about the word 'elite' just doesn't set right with me. They are good, but not out of touch.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
We ARE Elite.

The Seahawks are missing key players on their O-Line, there still trying to figure how every one fits into the defensive front 7, and the Seahawks biggest off-season acquisition Percy Harvin hasn't played a single snap.

Several key players are under-performing as well.

The Seahawks let go or let walk much of their veteran talent in Michael Robinson, Leon Washington, Frank Omiyale, John Moffitt , Alan Branch, LeRoy Hill, Marcus Trufant, and Antoine Winfield.

The 4th youngest team in 2012 was still the 4th youngest team in 2012 despite most of the team getting a year older.

Seahawks has had a difficult schedule with three 10 am road games plus battling quality defenses in almost every game.

The brash of injuries to the O-line have made life difficult for the rest of the O but statistically they are chugging a long and making the best of a bad situation.

Despite all these challenging adverse circumstances, the only team Seattle has really lost to is themselves.

To play as horrible as the Seahawks have at times yet still have the toughness to overcome and posting a 5-1 record....that's pretty much elite.

Its sending a message that the Seahawks can play some of their worst football imaginable at times however they can still compete and win games in spite of it.

Latest posts