ESPN: we didn't sign Kaep in 2017 because of Russ

toffee

Reaction score
These guy on ESPN said that Hawks didn't sign Kaep in 2017 just to avoid teammates pledging their legions to Kaep.

They also said Raiders welcomed Karp in for evaluation without having to worry about Carr, they said Carr is very secured about his role.

Sounded like our locker room in 2017 wasn't at all united, and Russ wasn't secured in his role as the team leader?

It's ESPN, so click baits or they knew something that we don't?

Last edited:

Stud

Reaction score
Why sign Kap? Guy was almost always in the bottom half of the league in yards per game, yards per pass, completion %, QBR, game winning drives.

He was an average QB.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Why sign Kap? Guy was almost always in the bottom half of the league in yards per game, yards per pass, completion %, QBR, game winning drives.

He was an average QB.
One of the possible scenarios:

John had Kaep in for evaluation, that was 2017, the same year he went to scout on Mahomes. Needless to say John's attempts were vetoed by Pete.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Russ wanted zero spotlight taken from him..would hurt the brand...oh and good thing as Krapper would of been a big distraction..not that the team did anything anyway..

flv2

Reaction score
No other team signed Kaepernick in 2017 either.

...nor in 2018, or 2019, or 2020, or 2021...

Maybe there's a non-Russell Wilson reason for that. Maybe there's a reason he still isn't on a 90-man roster whilst teams are running OTAs and looking at back-ups.

Nunya

Reaction score
One of the possible scenarios:

John had Kaep in for evaluation, that was 2017, the same year he went to scout on Mahomes. Needless to say John's attempts were vetoed by Pete.
Sure, let's just throw crap against the wall and see what sticks. Let me guess....you're a sports writer.

Boohman14

Reaction score
I have no problem with Kaep's kneeling stuff but he was an asshat when he was a 49er. I didn't want to see him as a Seahawk due to the old rivalry. Also I think he would have been a distraction.

keasley45

Reaction score
Don't know why this is a surprise. It was talked about when it happened - that they didn't want to put the pressure on Russ, having somebody in who could be a viable starter sitting behind him.

Russ's fragile psychy was also talked about before Kaep, when teammates complained that Pete would come down on team members being openly critical of him. I think one of the instances mentioned was how Sherm shouted, 'you suck' at Russ after picking off a ball or two at practice. Players were discouraged from negative talk.

And that weakness in Russ was evident last year, when during his injury recovery, he, in pregrame, ran the mock two minute drill, on field... by himself (dumbest thing I've seen), to get a litte attention his way. Then, two weeks later, he rushes back from injury just to prevent Geno from getting anymore shine and to continue to garner more respect and appreciation from teammates... the same way T-Jack had before. By then it was too late.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
...And that weakness in Russ was evident last year, when during his injury recovery, he, in pregrame, ran the mock two minute drill, on field... by himself (dumbest thing I've seen), to get a litte attention his way.

That was one of the more cringe-worthy things I've seen in awhile. It was embarrassing to watch that, and it was so transparently brand-related. Reminds me of a scene in the movie Contact where one of the NASA controllers when watching one of the lead characters show-boating for the camera says "Back home, that's what we call an overcooked ham."

Last edited:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
That was one of the more cringe-worthy things I've seen in awhile. It was embarrassing to watch that, and it was so transparently brand-related. Reminds me of a scene in the movie Contact where one of the NASA controllers when watching one of the lead characters show-boating for the camera says "Back home, that's what we call an overcooked ham."
I was watching GMFB either the following week or the week after during a time when Mike Rob was on there. He as just laughing. I can't remember exactly what he said about, he started his sentence with "Russ, love you brother but....."

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score

He was an average QB.
And never won in Seattle. Made that Beats commercial unintentionally hilarious.

ryank24

Reaction score
Then, two weeks later, he rushes back from injury just to prevent Geno from getting anymore shine and to continue to garner more respect and appreciation from teammates... the same way T-Jack had before. By then it was too late.

I don't disagree with the rest of what you're saying, but I'm not buying this narrative at all.

Geno looked decent when he came into the Rams game after Wilson's injury, but with the game on the line at the end, turned the ball over to lose it. He didn't look good against the Steelers or the Saints. And between those 3 games with a chance to win it in the 4th quarter he managed an interception, a fumble and a turn over on downs. He then finally got a win against the worst team in the league.

Especially if Wilson had already decided that he was done in Seattle (which I think was likely by that point), what possible motivation could Wilson have had to rush himself back from an injury? Playing through pain, risking re-injury, putting up sub-par stats compared to his typical standard of play for at least a few weeks. Somehow that was supposed to help his own stock by keeping Geno Smith off the field? If he wanted to make himself look good, he could have let the Hawks keep losing games with Geno running the show instead of losing games himself.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Team Russ, and a percentage of folks on dot net, truly believe that Russ' prime was being wasted by a poorly managed Hawks team. He was so wronged, from lousy OL to antiquated offense, his MVP seasons were slipping away. For all he was done for the Hawks, he DESERVED at least a full season of Let Russ Cook.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
@ryank24, He felt the risk was worth it, IMO, to chance being the hero by going in to the mighty Lambeau and defeat Rodgers and company coming off the biggest injury of his career. Had he done it? The story lines would have been immense and his stock (see: Legacy) would have been padded mightily. I love Wilson, but I felt I knew what his true motivation was. No risk it no biscuit. I didn't see it as some selfless act to rally his team.

Latest posts