Exotic run game - look no further then our division.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
AgentDib":19zpu6ir said:
Spin Doctor":19zpu6ir said:
Carroll stated that the playbook was going to be mostly his when Schottenheimer was hired... Schottenheimer didn't even get to bring his own playbook, he was literally handed one. He got to add a few things, but when push comes to shove we all know who this offense really belongs to.
I'm assuming you are being sarcastic here, but Schotty did make an attempt when he was first hired to integrate some of Bevell's more successful plays and terminology with his own stuff. The idea there is two-fold; it lessens the learning overhead on the players for the upcoming season and it's pretty reasonable to make use of what was working well for Russ previously. From that point the playbook constantly evolves over time as the OC tweaks it based on what is and isn't working, but it didn't start with 100% Schotty's material.

thegameq":19zpu6ir said:
OKay, I'll ask; what is an exotic run game exactly?
People mostly just define that by whether the run game is effective or not. However, back in the day teams were either all angle(power) blocking or they were all zone blocking. One of the things that modern run game coordinators do is to blend those concepts thoroughly in order to keep defenses off balance. Personally, I am a big fan of running schemes that use a similar play repeatedly but with different personnel groupings, formations, and motion that keep the defenses guessing.
No Carroll literally stated in a press conference that the playbook was going to be 80 percent his offense and 20 percent Schottenheimers.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3px4nsw0 said:
No Carroll literally stated in a press conference that the playbook was going to be 80 percent his offense and 20 percent Schottenheimers.
Does "literally stated" mean something other than what it reads as? He definitely never stated that verbatim. I can see how you could have figuratively interpreted that at the time from Schotty saying he wasn't going to shake everything up too much just for the sake of change.

BASF

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3dj1o7yb said:
AgentDib":3dj1o7yb said:
Spin Doctor":3dj1o7yb said:
Carroll stated that the playbook was going to be mostly his when Schottenheimer was hired... Schottenheimer didn't even get to bring his own playbook, he was literally handed one. He got to add a few things, but when push comes to shove we all know who this offense really belongs to.
I'm assuming you are being sarcastic here, but Schotty did make an attempt when he was first hired to integrate some of Bevell's more successful plays and terminology with his own stuff. The idea there is two-fold; it lessens the learning overhead on the players for the upcoming season and it's pretty reasonable to make use of what was working well for Russ previously. From that point the playbook constantly evolves over time as the OC tweaks it based on what is and isn't working, but it didn't start with 100% Schotty's material.

thegameq":3dj1o7yb said:
OKay, I'll ask; what is an exotic run game exactly?
People mostly just define that by whether the run game is effective or not. However, back in the day teams were either all angle(power) blocking or they were all zone blocking. One of the things that modern run game coordinators do is to blend those concepts thoroughly in order to keep defenses off balance. Personally, I am a big fan of running schemes that use a similar play repeatedly but with different personnel groupings, formations, and motion that keep the defenses guessing.

Link please

getnasty

Reaction score
Seattle 4.8 ypc, 5th in the league
SF 4.3 ypc, 16th in the league
LA 4.2 ypc, 18th in the league

Exotic<Effective