FG tape: Alex Collins steadily improving as a runner

ACFan

Reaction score
hawkfan68":20s1xxwz said:
I believe I heard Pete on the radio talking about Collins and his weight. I think Collins was told in the offseason to come in at a higher weight. I could be mistaken but I thought that's what Pete said. If that's true one can't fault AC for doing what he was directed to do.

First I've heard that, but it makes perfect sense.

I remember hearing AC touted as a "power" back right after the draft. I guess they wanted a big lumbering back to offset the quickness/speed of Rawls, C-Mike and Prosise.

I also remember at the time saying how wrong minded that was, that AC was much more than a power back.

He's a well rounded, every down back, who's size, quickness, speed and power are all adequate enough for this level. It's his durability, vision and instincts that are exceptional, untested largely as a receiver in college, but appears very adept at that as well.

Emmitt Smith has been the comparison I've made, and while I'm saying Emmitt Smith-esque, I think it's a comparison that really fits well.

Starting to look like it again since AC is back to his natural playing weight.

His instincts and vision kicking in now that he's more comfortable with the offense is a huge deal too I think.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I still don't think he is quite ready to be the bell cow back just yet. I think he is ahead of the red shirt curve, but not at the end of it yet.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
That's intriguing about his in-season weight loss program. Proves he's dedicated to making a serious change to improve his performance. I was hard on the guy earlier in the year but at the moment he's our best option. Hopefully he continues to improve and heavily contributes Sat.

Rawls' performance this season has been puzzling. Maybe it's simply the culmination of all his injuries precluding his body from fully doing what he wants to do-run right over and through people, but the burst we saw last year just isn't there. Our atrocious line hasn't helped at all either-he's getting drilled as soon as he gets the ball more than seemingly any other back this year.

Rob12

Reaction score
Last week, he finally looked like he truly belonged in this league. I see him having a Robert Turbin type affect. I don't think he's the answer but he'll provide moments when I think he'll show he belongs.

Latest posts