Finally Watched the Game

kidhawk

Reaction score
A couple of quick hits while my heart slows back down from that roller coaster of a 4th quarter

First and foremost we won and we are 6-3.

Geno threw for over 350 yards today. Still seems to be struggling under pressures though. We need to change our protections for him. This is the only way I see long term success

I was glad to see us run the ball more today even when they didn’t get anywhere. I think it was a mostly successful attack.

Lockett and Metcalf had good games today. JSN had some good looks but also had a big drop again.

Defensively Mafe and Williams had a good day.

I’m not sure what got into Wags today but he had two amazing pass defenses to go with some other good plays

Still too many missed tackles for my taste and that tying TD in the 4th looked to me like too many defenders looking for the big play instead of just making the tackle. These guys are really good at playing the ball but up by a TD means you make the tackle.

Myers was Aces today going 5/5. Think he deserves a game ball.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Wanted to add two things that I’d be upset about if I were a Commanders fan.

1) I think the ejection in the first quarter was BS. The penalty was fully warranted and if they wanted to throw in a warning there I’d be ok with that, but we gotta let these guys play ball

2) The PI call when they kinda mugged DK late in the game to keep our drive alive. Was it pass interference? Absolutely it was. Have they been ignoring pass interference penalties all day? Yes they had. I feel like officials should have called more PI this game but if not earlier then not at the end either.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm now replaying the game.

Just to clarify. The ejection decision came from New York and not from the officials on the field.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
I'm now replaying the game.

Just to clarify. The ejection decision came from New York and not from the officials on the field.
Yes I know, but thanks for the clarification. This, to me makes it more egregious. The only way I can see it is if there was some excessive type celebration after (which I don’t know if there was or wasn’t). Even at that I would rather save ejections for habitual offenders or after the play type issues such as fighting, swinging helmets etc.

BASF

Reaction score
The player lowered his helmet to hit Tyler's helmet. If he had not lowered it, I would be right there with you. However, even in real time, you could see that he lowered his head. Everyone is taught to keep your head up, and when he did not, he was going to be ejected.

toffee

Reaction score
A couple of quick hits while my heart slows back down from that roller coaster of a 4th quarter

First and foremost we won and we are 6-3.

Geno threw for over 350 yards today. Still seems to be struggling under pressures though. We need to change our protections for him. This is the only way I see long term success

I was glad to see us run the ball more today even when they didn’t get anywhere. I think it was a mostly successful attack.

Lockett and Metcalf had good games today. JSN had some good looks but also had a big drop again.

Defensively Mafe and Williams had a good day.

I’m not sure what got into Wags today but he had two amazing pass defenses to go with some other good plays

Still too many missed tackles for my taste and that tying TD in the 4th looked to me like too many defenders looking for the big play instead of just making the tackle. These guys are really good at playing the ball but up by a TD means you make the tackle.

Myers was Aces today going 5/5. Think he deserves a game ball.
I am resigning to Geno would be substandard under pressure, it's up to the coaches to game plan with his deficiency in mind.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
I am resigning to Geno would be substandard under pressure, it's up to the coaches to game plan with his deficiency in mind.
Agreed. We either need to plan more max protect or quick throws. I lean towards more max protect and running the ball because the quick throws seem to be a weakness. At least while under pressure.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Re-posted from another forum:

I don’t disagree that they could eject him for it, I just disagree that he should have been ejected for it. I’m not here to say I want to see more helmet to helmet hits but ejections should be held for more egregious issues. Again JMO. I can say there are tons of things I disagree with the NFL on. This is just one. I’m just glad it wasn’t one of our guys

flv2

Reaction score
I don’t disagree that they could eject him for it, I just disagree that he should have been ejected for it. I’m not here to say I want to see more helmet to helmet hits but ejections should be held for more egregious issues. Again JMO. I can say there are tons of things I disagree with the NFL on. This is just one. I’m just glad it wasn’t one of our guys
I haven't watched the game yet but I did see this play on YouTube. I saw the tweet posted on a Commanders board and obviously it was relevant to this thread. I understand what Walt Anderson was trying to put across. Without it I would also have been surprised by the ejection.

Ultimately this wasn't a bang-bang play where the defender was trying to play the ball. There was no attempt to play the ball. It was an intentional hit, that the defender could have chosen not to make, and the hit ended up being head-to-head. I would have no problem with the NFL looking at ejections using this criteria but I haven't previously seen any communication that they were going to do so. Consequently I have no issue with fans taking a different view.

I hope both players were ok afterwards.

bileever

Reaction score
I think that if the NFL is serious about trying to eliminate helmet-to-helmet hits, you have to eject players for plays like this. Because Lockett was not concussed on the play, we think differently about it, but he easily could have been.

If they don't eject players for this, coaches won't make this a point of emphasis with their players. Heck, a lot of coaches (like Sean Payton) would gladly take a 15 yard penalty to knock the other team's star receiver out of the game.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
The player lowered his helmet to hit Tyler's helmet. If he had not lowered it, I would be right there with you. However, even in real time, you could see that he lowered his head. Everyone is taught to keep your head up, and when he did not, he was going to be ejected.

Exactly, lowering the head makes this a totally legit ejection IMO. I was actually pissed when I thought he wasn't ejected.