Finley medically cleared...are Hawks interested?

Erebus

Reaction score
I don't understand the sentiment that we are set at TE. Being three deep means there's no competition. You know Pete wants competition at every position. McCoy is a decent player, but Finley's upside is probably much higher. If Finley comes cheap (which he might, considering his injury situation), there's no reason not to have him, McCoy, and Willson compete for two TE spots.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Erebus":iegrll60 said:
I don't understand the sentiment that we are set at TE. Being three deep means there's no competition. You know Pete wants competition at every position. McCoy is a decent player, but Finley's upside is probably much higher. If Finley comes cheap (which he might, considering his injury situation), there's no reason not to have him, McCoy, and Willson compete for two TE spots.

I'm fine with adding more bodies to compete, but I don't think he signs an unguaranteed vet min. deal, even off a broken neck. If he were going to do that, he'd just re-sign with Green Bay. And if Green Bay wasn't willing to pay that, then that really tells you something is wrong.

At minimum, it will cost you a few million to sign him and some or all of that might be guaranteed. Is it worth it to roll the dice? Depends on what you think of his upsides. Personally, I'd rather roll that money over and use it to re-sign Avril or something.

But wouldn't really surprise me if this FO pulled the trigger.

King Dog

Reaction score
I hope we get this done. It's usually a good sign when you visit another teams forum and the posters want him back.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Cant pretend to have deep insight into the guy but he hasnt given me the impression of being someone whod be on board with "always compete, nothing is given, everything is earned" 24-7. Hes a talented TE but I think hed be a luxury at this point.

lsheldon

Reaction score
kobebryant":3mqwqfrh said:
EastCoastHawksFan":3mqwqfrh said:
Injury Prone , Soft , and drops important passes. No Thanks. At least no guaranteed money

What makes you say that he is soft? Nothing that I have seen from him has indicated to me that he is soft.

I would, in fact, be hesitant to refer to anyone in the NFL as soft.

Look up soft in the dictionary, it now has a picture of Peyton manning next to it. He's one hit away from breaking in two.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
lsheldon":2olk8dju said:
kobebryant":2olk8dju said:
EastCoastHawksFan":2olk8dju said:
Injury Prone , Soft , and drops important passes. No Thanks. At least no guaranteed money

What makes you say that he is soft? Nothing that I have seen from him has indicated to me that he is soft.

Look up soft in the dictionary, it now has a picture of Peyton manning next to it. He's one hit away from breaking in two.

Which Hawk was it that said Jimmy Graham was soft last year? Bennett? I can't remember.

I think he was right.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kobebryant":2x3rcc52 said:
EastCoastHawksFan":2x3rcc52 said:

Just more embellishment to strengthen an argument. I've seen absolutely nothing to indicate he's 'soft,' or even injury prone for that matter. I wonder what constitutes 'important' passes? The ones that are least likely to be caught?

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1ox4uiti said:
Hawkfan77":1ox4uiti said:
ManBunts":1ox4uiti said:
No thanks. Plenty full at TE, and don't have the cap space for the money he'll want.
What kind of money does he want?
I don't see him getting anymore than a 1 year vet minimum contract. He has to prove it.

Oh man another prove it deal. Can't wait for someone to put get a Ring pay cut deal.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":1fkfj1lx said:

So he's an upgrade to Anthony McCoy?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think lost in this, it was the doctors Finley pays that cleared him to play. No team doctor has cleared Finley. I have no doubt Finley's doctors have a signed release from Finley should that injury recur.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If the FO thinks he could improve the team then why not? He is exceptionally talented as a move type TE.

Can't see them bring him in until after June 1 b/c then it won't affect the number of comp pick the team may get.

He. Will need to pass some serious health checks and then will be discounted significantly b/c of lingering suspicions about his recovery.

I'm betting he re- ups w GB b/c they may pay more.

kjreid

Reaction score
Finley would be a good pick up if we are looking for a pass catching TE, he needs to learn how to block to be solid, that is what I like about our TE's right now, the all can block well and catch enough to keep D's honest. If we had Finley we would need that stud guard/Tackle combo to free up Finley and keep the defense at home.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Patriots definitely make the most sense for him.

Unless he wants another ring bad enough, then Seattle would be the place for him!!!!!!

sutz

Reaction score
At the time Finley was under consideration, our TE situation was a bit more "fluid" if you know what I mean.

Now, I don't think he's needed, or would be all that better than who we have fighting for roster spots.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Rumors of his signing bonus include...

images

kobebryant

Reaction score
lsheldon":ra0j2sa0 said:
kobebryant":ra0j2sa0 said:
EastCoastHawksFan":ra0j2sa0 said:

I think the mental and physical toughness it takes to step on to an NFL field is being underestimated. But by all means, let's use internet anonymity to call pro ballplayers soft.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":1xj84t1m said:
Rumors of his signing bonus include...

images

I'm the acting self-appointed board moderator today.
That is extremely tasteless and goes against all board rules.
I'll allow it.