Flag Football

Cyrus12

Reaction score
With the Pro Bowl and soon to be Olympics showcasing flag football it brings up the question would the nfl make the switch? I am guessing the event at the olympics will be highly successful especially for the US since the gold medal has already been won before a game is played. Id expect it to be very well received by fans. So if the NFL were to ever go that route full time likely for player safety would you still watch? Or is hitting something that can never be taken out for the league to survive?

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
The league is basically heading there as it is. However, all jokes aside, it’s not the same and highly doubt the nfl as we know it would ever go from tackling to flags. The refs throw more flags than I care to see on the field as it is

JPatera76

Reaction score
If the League went that route full time... the players and teams sure as hell wouldn't "deserve" the money they're being paid now. As the risk would be really minimal. And part of the reason why they're paid so much is the "high risks" involved with the current style of play. As well as the talent bar imo would be fairly lower allowing more access to it for people. Overall I wouldn't watch it, it would just look like a bunch gym nuts who work out playing a weekend pick up game of flag football. I know I sure as well wouldn't pay the current ticket prices to see such thing either. Just my Two cents.

Aircrew

Reaction score
The League is going to continue neutering tackle football to the point that regular season games more closely resemble the last few years of the Pro Bowl when they still played 4 quarters. Pro football is no longer a man's game and with the focus of the media being on what the players are wearing when they arrive at the stadium and what celebrities are dating what player, it's only going to continue to devolve. Some may like where the game is going, I find it boring and getting harder and harder to watch.

Seahawker

Reaction score
If they ever went flag viewership would be similar to the NBA and ticket sales would fall off a cliff. As the youngest of the baby boomers begin to die off, the 1980's will become to be known as the golden age of the NFL.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
If the League went that route full time... the players and teams sure as hell wouldn't "deserve" the money they're being paid now. As the risk would be really minimal. And part of the reason why they're paid so much is the "high risks" involved with the current style of play.

The reason NFL players are paid so little, compared to the value they generate for their teams, is because the salary cap produces artificial downward pressure on player salaries. And the reason the players are worth so much to their teams is because the rates for NFL advertising and therefore the values of TV contracts, plus the value of licensed merchandise, ticket sales and concessions, are very high and rising.

If the NFL were ever to move too far toward flag football, the demand for NFL action wouldn't be as strong. So players would get paid less, but it wouldn't be because they would be subjecting themselves to less risk. It would be because there would be less interest in the sport, so the whole "pie," including the "slice" that goes to player compensation, would be smaller.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well NFL going to Flag football would be like the Gladiators using plastic swords and spears, you would lose something.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
With the Pro Bowl and soon to be Olympics showcasing flag football it brings up the question would the nfl make the switch? I am guessing the event at the olympics will be highly successful especially for the US since the gold medal has already been won before a game is played. Id expect it to be very well received by fans. So if the NFL were to ever go that route full time likely for player safety would you still watch? Or is hitting something that can never be taken out for the league to survive?
Absolutely not. They're gonna lose me when the first flagged position - and I've been predicting that the QB position will be the 'test' position, and the first position 'flagged' - is implemented.

I have no use whatsoever for flag football. None. And, you can tell it's coming due to all the just general 'gushing' - from advertisements to the Fox pregame dudes just 'over the moon' with it. It's getting as bad as the gambling stuff for exposure.

It's coming. Not sure when. But when it does? I'm done.

Stopped watching the pro bowl for the same reason. They are destroying the sport. Step by step.

💩💩💩💩

Just my .02.

EDIT: And by the way - a poster asked the question 6 months ago: Two hand touch or flags. I'd still watch Two hand touch. Maybe. But not the flags. They are the epitome of stupidness to me.

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Absolutely not. They're gonna lose me when the first flagged position - and I've been predicting that the QB position will be the 'test' position, and the first position 'flagged' - is implemented.

I have no use whatsoever for flag football. None. And, you can tell it's coming due to all the just general 'gushing' - from advertisements to the Fox pregame dudes just 'over the moon' with it. It's getting as bad as the gambling stuff for exposure.

It's coming. Not sure when. But when it does? I'm done.

Stopped watching the pro bowl for the same reason. They are destroying the sport. Step by step.

💩💩💩💩

Just my .02.
I stopped watching the NHL for similar reasons. 2012 was my last year of being a dedicated fan. I put on a Canucks game for a bit last weekend and it's weird watching it wen you are expecting a hit and then nothing happens.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I stopped watching the NHL for similar reasons. 2012 was my last year of being a dedicated fan. I put on a Canucks game for a bit last weekend and it's weird watching it wen you are expecting a hit and then nothing happens.
i haven't watched hockey in soooooooo long - I'll have to put on a flames game for 10 minutes sometime and watch the prancing around :)

WmHBonney

Reaction score
The ONLY time I have watched flag football is when my son was 4 years old and played. Olympic "sport"? Just another reason I don't watch much of the Olympics anymore either.