For those who love to complain about Seattle's O-line...

kearly

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1w5hzltv said:
Why are you bothering to point this out? You say O-line doesn't matter.

Almost everyone in the NFL thinks their OL sucks. He may have not said so directly, but that's the spirit of his message in the OP.

By FO's rankings Seattle is basically a dead average OL (run + pass). Maybe even a bit above average when you consider the problems created by Wilson and Bevell in protection.

Just my opinion. When we have our five starters healthy we have a top 10 O-line in this league. Our depth is better than most teams. We have basically gotten league average OL production this year which says a lot given the number of injuries and starting combinations this season.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
kearly":eo3t57zo said:
RolandDeschain":eo3t57zo said:
Why are you bothering to point this out? You say O-line doesn't matter.

Almost everyone in the NFL thinks their OL sucks. He may have not said so directly, but that's the spirit of his message in the OP.

By FO's rankings Seattle is basically a dead average OL (run + pass). Maybe even a bit above average when you consider the problems created by Wilson and Bevell in protection.

Just my opinion. When we have our five starters healthy we have a top 10 O-line in this league. Our depth is better than most teams. We have basically gotten league average OL production this year which says a lot given the number of injuries and starting combinations this season.
I don't think anyone legitimately considers Seattle's OL average

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I consider them to be right around 12th best which would place them right at or about league average or slightly better.

But maybe that isn't a legitimate consideration.

-bsd /RPA

Brithawk

Reaction score
Seattle 24th best in Pass Pro according to Football Outsiders, where does this 12th come from. Including Run Blocking?
Kn6keXk

RichNhansom

Reaction score
That standing is stat based only. It doesn't factor in how long Wilson holds the ball. Go watch the two AZ games again. First game holding the ball to long Wilson sacked 7 times. The major change in game two was Wilson getting the ball out quickly and netted 0 sacks.

Manning would make this same O-line look elite.

Consider teams will slowly give up on over aggressive D-line play if they repeatedly come up short or get burnt. Getting rid of the ball quickly has a butterfly effect that translates to less defensive pressure, more rested O-line players and ultimately less injuries. The trade off is a higher chance of Int's and requires a strong ability to read opponents defenses.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
When I say about twelfth best, it's not an exact ranking. I don't mean that I could list 11 better and 20 worse. I just mean they are probably a slightly above average offensive line at this point in time, somewhere in the 12th place range.

That includes running and pass protection, and unlike PFF I am talking about their current level of play, not how they have played for the season. They have developed over the course of the year and are playing much better as a unit than they were earlier this year. The PFF grade is a good grade for the year that this line has had, but I am weighting how they are playing now, not grading their entire season.

It's no surprise that as Wilson has returned to form in the latter half of the season, the line has looked better and has better "stats". It's a symbiotic relationship

-bsd RPA

mikeak

Reaction score
rideaducati":224h47q5 said:
Seattle's O-line would be ranked much higher if Russell got rid of the ball on time a bit more. He's holding the ball too long. Thankfully, he is able to get away with it a lot more than most would be able to.

Russel's average is significantly impacted by the times he scrambles around for a really long time. You need to remove those from the calculation on how long he normally holds the ball