Freeney waived.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Cap space ($375k), roster spot for CB or RB, recovering week after week at 37 years old, losing containment, the rise of Dion Jordan, Marcus Smith's recovery, etc. all likely contributed to this decision. If McDowell has a chance to be cleared, that could also be a factor. And they might even be able to re-sign him down the road if need be.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":2fc8yz9x said:
CalgaryHawk":2fc8yz9x said:
I bet its because Freeney was freewheeling to much on his pass rushes instead of keeping contain on the edges like the defensive scheme calls for. He spinned inside, losing outside contain, which allowed Ryan to scramble for an easy first down. If theres one thing Pete does not tolerate in his players, its losing contain.

According to Brock Huard, it was Bobby who was stunting and had outside contain on that pass rush and he got caught up inside, which gave Ryan a ton of room to run through.

oh that's interesting.

Cassius Marsh or J. Collins from Atlanta could be the waiver wire pickup

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
That's a bummer. He was a good story and was ballin' up until last night.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Jalen Collins has been mentioned as a possible target. Not sure how likely that is, but it's been mentioned.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It is a bummer but he proved he still has something.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Waive Eddy “Twinkle Toes” Lacy while you’re at it, please! Any RB on any other team’s practice squad has to be better than him.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
yet that fat body Lacy and Rawls keep their spots....wow...I don't know what is going on with this team anymore. Freeney played very well in lieu of Avril.

knownone

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2fnincg1 said:
Jalen Collins has been mentioned as a possible target. Not sure how likely that is, but it's been mentioned.
I'd be surprised if it happened but you never know he certainly fits the part long term.

minormillikin

Reaction score
There was quite a bit of "educated speculation" on 710 today that he probably initiated the separation. Maybe he decided he really just wanted to be retired, maybe nagging injury that he was sick of playing through, or possibly just decided getting a ring wasn't going to happen and that was the only remaining motivating factor.

Has he said anything about it? I was really liking him on the team.

massari

Reaction score
Jalen Collins is either really bad in the locker room or PFF is sh*t.

Collins 1024x542

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ukori1l said:
I don't think it's a coincidence that this happened at the same time Marsh was cut by the Patriots.

So if I had to guess, it's so we can sign Marsh, who is more versatile and knows our system vs a 3rd down DE.

If that's the case, why would they waive him before Marsh cleared waivers? It would be a risky move, small risk, but a risk nonetheless. It would be entirely possible for both players to be claimed off waivers before Marsh fell to the Seahawks.

If it was to clear a spot for Marsh, they would have waited until Marsh fell to them.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2g9f3vcd said:
Sgt. Largent":2g9f3vcd said:
I don't think it's a coincidence that this happened at the same time Marsh was cut by the Patriots.

So if I had to guess, it's so we can sign Marsh, who is more versatile and knows our system vs a 3rd down DE.

If that's the case, why would they waive him before Marsh cleared waivers? It would be a risky move, small risk, but a risk nonetheless. It would be entirely possible for both players to be claimed off waivers before Marsh fell to the Seahawks.

If it was to clear a spot for Marsh, they would have waited until Marsh fell to them.

Apparently if a player is on the team roster as of Wednesday, you have to pay him for the full week, whether you cut him later on in the week or not.

So cutting him on Tuesday instead of waiting to see if they get a claimed player, saves the Hawks one week's salary on Freeneys cap hit. The Hawks are tight against the cap, so that's my guess as to why they would release him now instead of waiting for a particular player like Marsh to pass through waivers.