Funny thing Bevell did Sunday

HawkGA

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":8i6g4sq1 said:
You're dead right about the continued unwillingness to give him credit by some, and his play-calling for the last two months has been downright brilliant.

There seems to be just as much unwillingness to criticize the first 2 months of the season by those people who are singing his praises now.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":xxaifuzo said:
peachesenregalia":xxaifuzo said:
You're dead right about the continued unwillingness to give him credit by some, and his play-calling for the last two months has been downright brilliant.

There seems to be just as much unwillingness to criticize the first 2 months of the season by those people who are singing his praises now.

Fire Bevell

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't think that was really the same play. Similar concept, yeah, but not the same play.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can deny that the offensive plan prior to the bye week was simply atrocious, nor can I see how anyone can deny that the plan has been brilliant since that week.

So what changed and why? Likely we will never know for sure (short of something dramatic like Bevell or Cable getting fired at the end of the season). Was Bevell being held back in the early going and loosed at the bye week? Did Pete hand the offensive planning reigns over to somebody else at the bye? Was the whole thing part of an overarching plan to set the team up for an end of the year run?

Who knows. I suspect the closest we will come to an answer is seeing how the offense looks next year if Bevell becomes a head coach for another team

- bsd

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":1mgxep9x said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1mgxep9x said:
Seattle finished with the second best offense in the league per DVOA. That is a beautiful thing.

And we have been top 10 for a while with probably the least amount of offensive capital in the league. The whole offensive staff from the WR coaches, offensive line quality control coaches to Bevell and Cable deserve much much more credit than they have got.

I still marvel that a malcontented former first round RB, an undersized 3rd round QB, a bunch of undrafted receivers and a merry-go-round offensive line has been so succesful for so long.

There is no other offense in football that has been in the top 7 in DVOA every year for the past 4 except for New England. Not Green Bay. Not New Orleans. Not Denver.

What drives me nuts is that people only want to give him credit for the past two months as if that is the only good stretch we have had and we have been the Chiefs or Lions the rest of the time.

Perfectly put, TDOTSEAHAWK.

You just absolutely nailed it.

And I have no idea why some people fight this so much.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":2e22ag6e said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2e22ag6e said:
Seattle finished with the second best offense in the league per DVOA. That is a beautiful thing.

And we have been top 10 for a while with probably the least amount of offensive capital in the league. The whole offensive staff from the WR coaches, offensive line quality control coaches to Bevell and Cable deserve much much more credit than they have got.

I still marvel that a malcontented former first round RB, an undersized 3rd round QB, a bunch of undrafted receivers and a merry-go-round offensive line has been so succesful for so long.

There is no other offense in football that has been in the top 7 in DVOA every year for the past 4 except for New England. Not Green Bay. Not New Orleans. Not Denver.

What drives me nuts is that people only want to give him credit for the past two months as if that is the only good stretch we have had and we have been the Chiefs or Lions the rest of the time.

It really is amazing how good Wilson has been with what has been around him on offense yet other teams fans and even some media still.... still discredit him and dont think hes that great of a QB

Even if he wins a 2nd superbowl I bet a decent ammount of fans will still see him as an ELI manning type QB, even though Elis Career QB rating is 83.5 and Wilsons is 101.8 and Eli throws twice as many INTS in a season on avg than Wilson has.

The fact that Eli will probably make it into the HOF makes me want to puke. He def doesnt deserve it since outside of the 2 superbowl years they havent won a single playoff game.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2j68c1lp said:
Hasselbeck":2j68c1lp said:
I didn't even snap to this, maybe some others caught it.

The first play call of the game on offense, in the stadium where we lost Super Bowl XLIX ....

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/1/5/1072 ... the-demons
I am hoping it's pure coincidence. If it isn't, DB is a bigger self absorbed goober than even I thought.

Or maybe it was a bit of fun between coaches and the QB?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Based on the numbers, Darrell Bevell is probably the Offensive Coordinator of the Year.

Hue Jackson is the only other guy in the conversation, and he was working with much more talent/capital on offense and a QB with an extra year of experience.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I didn't want the thread to go this direction but.. since it has.. doesn't it strike anyone else that with the lack of quality coaching candidates out there right now for 6 vacancies that Darrell Bevell's name still hasn't been mentioned for interviews?

I'll admit the 2nd half of the year he's been fantastic .. and I'll admit that maybe sometimes it's not the coaches fault for players performance .. but I don't know, to me that speaks volumes.. especially when retreads like Mike Shanahan and Mike Smith are getting phone calls.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3inp9rs9 said:
I didn't want the thread to go this direction but.. since it has.. doesn't it strike anyone else that with the lack of quality coaching candidates out there right now for 6 vacancies that Darrell Bevell's name still hasn't been mentioned for interviews?

I'll admit the 2nd half of the year he's been fantastic .. and I'll admit that maybe sometimes it's not the coaches fault for players performance .. but I don't know, to me that speaks volumes.. especially when retreads like Mike Shanahan and Mike Smith are getting phone calls.

It doesn't speak volumes. The interview circuit and eventual hire is a publicity game for teams as much as it's anything else. Teams rarely go outside-the-box at this stage, and it'll be the same six media-approved guys who make the rounds . Bevell's still dealing with the fallout from last year's Super Bowl, though it wouldn't surprise me if someone brought him in after the "usual suspect" candidates have been brought in to appease the fanbases. He'll get more opportunities as memories of the last Super Bowl fade from the public conscious.

Look at Doug Marrone. He's the most popular interview candidate out there, but could barely land an interview last year because of the media fallout from the Buffalo situation. Did he suddenly become a better coach while coaching offensive linemen for Jacksonville for one year? No. It's just easier for teams to bring him in after that mess from last year was forgotten.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3u1wqeld said:

He has a great gig now and as I said months ago, very good possibility he's being groomed as the Hawks' next head coach when Pete decides to retire. For now, let's just enjoy the fact that we have some brilliant coaches leading our team.

kearly

Reaction score
We can see clearly now that both the blame and credit should go to Pete, it was his decision to review the offense at the bye that really turned things around. Has there ever been a coach who crafted a historically good defense and a (next year) historically good offense with the same team before? Bill Walsh maybe?

I think Bevell is in a fantastic situation right now and he's not screwing it up. I hope he stays for as long as he keeps it up. Kudos to him.

As far as Bevell not getting interviews, give it a year. He will be a hot candidate after 2016 if the offense ends up where I think it will.

kearly

Reaction score
It's amazing how fast that SB49 wound has healed. For most of us anyway.

I still think it was in totality the dumbest playcall in SB history. But I actually blame Pete for it as much as anyone else. And he's done a decent job around here otherwise, I'd say.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Ya, but this time he had the wisdom to throw it to the 3rd-best active receiver on the roster; rather than a fringe WR/ST gunner.

Wound not healed. Not until there's another Owl in the trophy.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":6b7xz6qv said:

Coaches who are currently preparing for a playoff game this weekend cannot be contacted or interviewed, so no, it's not striking at all.

Bevell has had interviews the last few offseasons because we had the playoff bye week. that's not the case this year.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, Michael's 45 yard run was out of the 'Halo' formation.

mikeak

Reaction score
So he runs this play with a RB in the backfield from the 20

How about next time from the 1 he keeps the RB in the backfield?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3qkaqyra said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":3qkaqyra said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3qkaqyra said:

Perfectly put, TDOTSEAHAWK.

You just absolutely nailed it.

And I have no idea why some people fight this so much.

I do credit Bevell for turning out to be a competent game-planner.

But as for the residual frustration? Not rocket science. It's because we're 10-6 when we have enough talent to be undefeated and sitting atop the NFC, with home-field advantage and far better chances to make the big dance again.

Those four losses we incurred from (among other things) Bevell's piss-poor gameplan? They weren't last year. They weren't a distant memory. They were this year and are still showing in our loss column.

Is a #6 seed a death sentence? Not at all. In fact, I have a decent amount of confidence (for MontanaHawk05) for us to reach the Super Bowl again. But Pete's decision to hide half the playbook (which I'm convinced is the case - too much sudden improvement to explain) did cost us this season.

sc85sis

Reaction score
This thought may be unpopular, but I wonder if Marshawn being out actually freed Bevell up to be more creative.