FYI: The Salary Cap is Merely Accounting

Fade

Reaction score
It is easy to manipulate and create space.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/seattle-seahawks
As of now Seattle has 37 players / $42.52M in space.

This is just an example. Feel free to play along at home.

First thing's first, go ahead and add the EFRAs and RFAs that make sense.

+ Cody Thompson; ERFA
+ Godwin Igwebuike; ERFA
+ Tanner Muse; RFA (Original Round Tender)
+ Miles Adams; ERFA
+ Isaiah Mack; ERFA
+ Michael Jackson; ERFA
+ Ryan Neal; RFA (Original Round Tender)

44~Players / $32.7M in space

Second, time to trim players not worth the money off of the roster to create plenty of space to re-sign Unrestricted Free Agents.

Cut: Pre 6/1
- Shelby Harris -$8.9M freed up.
- Gabe Jackson -$6.5M freed up.
- Quinton Jefferson -$4.5M freed up.
- Bryan Mone -$2.7M freed up.

Cut: Post 6/1
- Jamal Adams -$11M freed up.
- Quandre Diggs - $14M freed up.

38~Players / $80.3M in space

Third, Re-Sign Geno Smith: 5 yrs $150M / $30M signing bonus

2023: Cap hit - $7.165M ($1.165M base + $6M of prorated bonus)
Geno gets $31.65M in 2023 but he only counts $7.165M against the cap.

39~Players / $73.1M in space

4th, Re-Sign some scrubs to league minimum or thereabouts to help fill out the roster a little:

+ Teez Tabor
+ Travis Homer
+ Phil Haynes
+ Artie Burns
+ Cody Barton
+ Tyler Ott
+ Nick Bellore

46~Players / $66.1M in space

5th, Re-Sign guys that will cost more than the league min:

+ Jason Meyers $5M signing bonus + $1M base
+ Rashaad Penny ($4M incentive laden deal)
+ Marquise Goodwin ($3M incentive laden deal)

49~Players / $59.3M in space

Finally, 2 more scrubs to hit top 51.

+ John Rattigan, ERFA
+ Laquan Treadwell

51~Players / $58.9M in space

The Seahawks have plenty of cap space to do whatever they need. My concern is keeping the overpriced Safeties in Diggs and Adams, that could put a damper on things. The right move is to Post June-1 both of them.

Polk738

Reaction score
I like it, I agree with most of it, I think they should try and keep Shelby Harris though since he actually graded out pretty well at the end of the season and they are so devoid of defensive line talent, I don't even know what you do about Diggs and Adams they ARE talented but definitely not worth the money and I really want to see Ryan Neal come back next season. I like bringing Penny back as well on the cheap, him and Walker would compliment each other very nicely.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score

+ Cody Thompson; ERFA
+ Godwin Igwebuike; ERFA
+ Miles Adams; ERFA
+ Isaiah Mack; ERFA
+ Michael Jackson; ERFA

Second, time to trim players not worth the money off of the roster to create plenty of space to re-sign Unrestricted Free Agents.

4th, Re-Sign some scrubs to league minimum or thereabouts to help fill out the roster a little:

+ Teez Tabor
+ Travis Homer
+ Phil Haynes
+ Artie Burns
+ Cody Barton
+ Tyler Ott
+ Nick Bellore

+ John Rattigan, ERFA
+ Laquan Treadwell

The Seahawks have plenty of cap space to do whatever they need. My concern is keeping the overpriced Safeties in Diggs and Adams, that could put a damper on things. The right move is to Post June-1 both of them.
Nice work. I do agree with Diggs and Adams with post June 1 cut. You won’t need to sign most of the scrubs they will be replaced with draft choice’s

flv2

Reaction score
Adams as a post June 1st cut would be idiotic. To do that he'd have to be on the roster in March. Part of his non-guaranteed salary becomes guaranteed in February.

massari

Reaction score
Adams as a post June 1st cut would be idiotic. To do that he'd have to be on the roster in March. Part of his non-guaranteed salary becomes guaranteed in February.
Wouldn't a post June1 still mean $8.5M in cap savings for next season, and about $10M in 2024 season?

Considering Adams' inability to stay in the lineup, seems that money would be better spent towards DL, and bring in a couple young cheap Safties to go with Neal.

QWERTY

Reaction score
What are you guys talking about?

Adams has a 21-mill dead cap in 2023 season.

Jville

Reaction score
A thread for cavalier fantasy capologists.

This should be rich.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
It’s $2.56 million if on roster 5 days after Super Bowl that’s a non factor

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Wouldn't a post June1 still mean $8.5M in cap savings for next season, and about $10M in 2024 season?

Considering Adams' inability to stay in the lineup, seems that money would be better spent towards DL, and bring in a couple young cheap Safties to go with Neal.
Yes Post June 1 cut is split between 2023 and 2024 seasons it’s less painful but if you have the extra cap space in 2023 maybe just do a pre June 1 cut to get it over with

Seattle Person

Reaction score

+ Cody Thompson; ERFA
+ Godwin Igwebuike; ERFA
+ Miles Adams; ERFA
+ Isaiah Mack; ERFA
+ Michael Jackson; ERFA

+ Teez Tabor
+ Travis Homer
+ Phil Haynes
+ Artie Burns
+ Cody Barton
+ Tyler Ott
+ Nick Bellore

+ John Rattigan, ERFA
+ Laquan Treadwell

*Quandre Diggs' contract becomes fully guaranteed 5 days after the Super Bowl. You will need to cut him within those 5 days and it will save around $9.9 million. It's a weird and confusing note in his contract and a lot of people are getting this mixed up.

JGreen79

Reaction score
A lot of these are highly unlikely to happen IMO. In a vacuum, sure it's just accounting. But good luck getting the players or their agents to play along.

Myers isn't taking a pay cut after this season, neither is Bellore.

Haynes, Barton, Ott, and Homer will easily get a contract above league minimum.

Harris, Diggs, and Adams are not getting cut.

flv2

Reaction score

Cutting Adams before the February guarantee date would mean all the money paid to Adams in the past, ($21.3M) but not yet accounted for would move into the 2023 cap reckoning. Cutting him after the new year starts would mean the dead money scheduled to be accounted for after 2023 would all be accounted for in 2024, ($14.2M of the $21.3M total). However they'd have to pay Adams an additional $2.56M in real money and account for that extra money in the 2023 cap. It would be an expensive penalty for delaying a $14.2M cap hit for 1 year when they already have more cap space than they need.

Now, if they have offset language in the contract and they can be sure Adams will play somewhere else, or if they can agree a contract re-write then it's a different story. I can only analyse the information publicly available. As things currently stand if they want Adams gone cutting him before the guarantee kicks in is the way to go.

This is not to say that Adams should be cut. The team may believe he is worth $11M next season. They may also think he's worth $11M now with the guarantee, but change their mind at a later date to save the non-guaranteed $8.44M.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Listening to Pete's end of year presser, no chance is Jamal cut. He admitted a lot of what they wanted to do with their new scheme involved getting him to be disruptive from all kinds of looks. Same with Diggs - put a lot of his early season tentativeness on the injury and how happy he was to see him getting after it to close out the year.

Rest of the guys I think are fine to move on from, too much borderline camp bodies getting starter minutes.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
Geno for five years? You're not actually advocating that are you? That would be utter madness.

misfit

Reaction score
So we are going to create a need at 2 safety spots, and at rg, while we sign a backup injured rb
and were going to draft all that or sign cheap replacements? All while needing a center upgrade and help all over the defense. I dont really like that strategy

flv2

Reaction score
*Quandre Diggs' contract becomes fully guaranteed 5 days after the Super Bowl. You will need to cut him within those 5 days and it will save around $9.9 million. It's a weird and confusing note in his contract and a lot of people are getting this mixed up.
I'm seeing '2023 salary fully guarantees on the 5th day of the 2023 waiver period' - which is a term I don't understand. Cutting him saves his $13.49M salary for 2022. There is a $4.1M cap hit currently scheduled for 2024 that would accelerate into 2023. That figure wouldn't be saved or lost. It would just be accounted for earlier. Technically, if the 2023 salary guarantees on the 5th day of the 2023 NFL year the Seahawks could delay that hit by designating him as a post June 1st cut. The down side is that they'd have to account for the $13.49M salary through the free agency period.

Spohawks

Reaction score
I like it, I agree with most of it, I think they should try and keep Shelby Harris though since he actually graded out pretty well at the end of the season and they are so devoid of defensive line talent, I don't even know what you do about Diggs and Adams they ARE talented but definitely not worth the money and I really want to see Ryan Neal come back next season. I like bringing Penny back as well on the cheap, him and Walker would compliment each other very nicely.
I am tired of grades...I want production. Screw Harris

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Adams is the best tackling safety on the Seahawks. It’s unfortunate he can’t stay healthy. I’ve seen way too many whiffs by Diggs in that dept. Diggs tried to tackle Derrick Henry in 2021, his tackling effort since then has steadily declined. I’m in favor of dumping Diggs either by post June 1 release or even better through a trade. Antonio Johnson and JL Skinner are a couple of nice safeties the Seahawks may be able to get with their late 1st rd or early 2nd picks.

Last edited: