Ghosts of Cables Past?? (JR Sweezy back in town)

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Jville":6ft87dzy said:
It would appear "ridicule" is the ulterior motive and purpose for initiating this thread.

Rule 5: Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It's hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to the practitioners advantage ..... per Saul David Alinsky.

How many Lombardi's does Saul have again?

Back on topic please before I go complain to your Uncle Albert. :mrgreen: :twisted: :snack:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Jville’s point was obvious.

Sweezy is an experienced NFL Guard, our FO office checks out any player they think could help the team. The team in fact wanted to keep Sweezy before he left for a big contract that didn’t work out in Tampa b/c of injury. What’s wrong with having an experienced player you know brings his lunch pail and is prepared to work hard back to see if he is healthy? Sweezy was an interesting developmental conversion victory for Cable, one of his very few successes here. If he checks out suddenly the pile gets deeper at OG if the price is right.

Is the player worth bringing in for a look? I’d say yes. Is the player worth paying big money to at present? Nope! However, finding a motivated and experienced player worth making the roster could be. It will depend on his health and the money he wants.

It is possible to have a convo around here w/o it disintegrating into ad hominem.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Yes Jammer, I got the point. I just don't care for the Hare Krishna football approach personally. I find the topic interesting because it brings to question the old vs the new and Cable guys vs Solari guys....not "ridicule is the ulterior motive" as accused because of one silly watch picture. :roll:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Got that, however there is no need for any of us to be acerbic in response. We are all supposed to be friends here. Hare Krishna, etc. notwithstanding.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
I would agree that we all have a common interest. I would agree that we all need to be civil and attempt to get along. I would strongly disagree that we all are suppose to be friends. To me a friend is someone you could trust with sensitive personal information and is there when you need them. Try trusting that to a message board. Been there and burned by that by a mod here even.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
OK, with more precision in my language we need to be friendly here and avoid ad hominem, though I get your point.

Posts can be intelligent but they don't need to be personal. Frankly looking back on Sweezy, I suspect he is the only real success of the whole Cable period here and that sure isn't saying much.

toffee

Reaction score
Let's all agree to disagree in a gentlemanly manner? oh heck, gentlemanly and lady like manner.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
toffee":68lbasb6 said:
Let's all agree to disagree in a gentlemanly manner? oh heck, gentlemanly and lady like manner.

Agreed!

Heck....even Ted Bundy was a gentleman 95% of the time. :D :2thumbs: :twisted:

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Makes sense. He's in no hurry for minimum offers and time may get him a better deal. Seems like we have enough competition at guard then to reach on paying him much more considering his recent injury history. Those type of Joekel, Webb, Sowell moves are a part of what got us into the hole we are in and force you to let other decent prospects walk (Irvin, Tate, Hauschka...ect)

lukerguy

Reaction score
Watching JVILLE and SEYMOUR go back in forth is hilarious.. You have the most optimistic vs pessimistic posters head to head. 8)

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
lukerguy":111y3dpx said:
Watching JVILLE and SEYMOUR go back in forth is hilarious.. You have the most optimistic vs pessimistic posters head to head. 8)

In all fairness, my pessimism usually subsides once I get away from Cable and Oline topics. 8)

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":3dx75f4x said:
toffee":3dx75f4x said:

Agreed!

Heck....even Ted Bundy was a gentleman 95% of the time. :D :2thumbs: :twisted:

Bundy and gentlemen do not belong in the same sentence; however, I’ll agree that Bundy knew now to charm women.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanomoz

Reaction score
Sweezy could probably be had for cheap, but I suspect Oakland would pay more for his services.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seymour":34lt8636 said:
Jville":34lt8636 said:
It would appear "ridicule" is the ulterior motive and purpose for initiating this thread.

Rule 5: Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It's hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to the practitioners advantage ..... per Saul David Alinsky.

How many Lombardi's does Saul have again?

Back on topic please before I go complain to your Uncle Albert. :mrgreen: :twisted: :snack:

What, did JVille "offend" some ridicule practitioners? Is this now supposed to be a "Safe Space" where free ridicule is allowed, but pointing out when/how/why ridicule is being used is now an "ad hominem" "thought crime"?

Hell, I thought the Alinsky reference was humorous and a great reminder for all of us to THINK and not just knee jerk react emotionally when we get "triggered". Not that anyone has EVER gotten triggered and responded in a knee-jerk emotional way on .NET. Now if we could just get <insert favorite hothead Seahawks player name here> to THINK instead of emotionally react in the moment, that could reduce the stupid, needless personally foul penalties. Be smart and get your retaliation "message" in under the radar later.

If ridicule was the motive for the thread, more power to Seymour. I was really just an "invitation" to ridicule (if so inclined), with supplying actual ridicule left as an exercise to subsequent posters.

The broken watch picture... awesome. Will fo sho be entertaining to follow the Gruden/Cable storyline and how badly the Raiders O-Line sucks this season, how bad their running game sucks, how many times Derek Carr gets pulverized, and whether Carr can start double-digit games before he gets injured due to Cable's (anticipated) crap O-Line.

Shocking thought--what if Cable's O-line defies all predictions, and has a steamrolling running game and Carr starts all 16 games and lights it up as MVP? What will we say then--do we have to rewrite Cable's story here, and say he was a suppressed genius hamstrung by (choose your favorite/combo of/add your own) Pete/lack of talented players/Darrel Bevell's poor play calling/Seattle rain & Seasonal Affective Disorder) ?

I do hope Sweezy has something left in the tank. He was an important part of the SB48 Champions team. It's always sweet to see Pete and John pull off a successful bargain-basement reclamation project. I have no bets either way on Sweezy, but I'm rooting for him. Why not him? - Russell Wilson (paraphrase)

In summary, both the Alinsky reference and the Cable/Gruden mocking were awesome, funny & also thought provoking, positive contributions to this thread. "Can't we all just get along?" - Rodney King

Jville

Reaction score
Indeed ..... the thread title was far from being an obscure or clever cover for actual intent and topic. It was more like a big neon sign and invitation to regurgitate and trash familiar punching bags.

Amusing addiction.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
Jville":2wpra6i1 said:
Due diligence is a Seahawk characteristic.

JR left Seattle because Tampa offered him more money than he could refuse. Unfortunately for Tampa Bay, they missed or down played the back injury that limited Sweezy's effectiveness in his final games in Seattle.

With the termination of the Tampa contract, he is now a free agent with a year plus between his Seahawk back injury and his physical health today. The Seahawk medical and coaching staffs are very attractive resources for him to consult and begin a new search for his next chapter as a lineman. He remains free to move about the planet ....... as he should be.

There is nothing surprising about the announcement of JR's visit. The VMAC is an exceptionally supportive environment ..... always striving to help others ....... become the best they can be.

I agree, nothing wrong with kicking the tires and checking it out. I would be more upset if they did not check him out.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I see no use for him. He was a useful puzzle piece back then but now is now.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Oakland has three all star interior linemen, Donald Penn has been really good but is getting old, and they drafted a project RT. That line's talent blows ours out of the water. If their quality of play declines, it will be a damming indictment on Cable. If they play well, it doesn't necessarily mean Cable did a great job.