Oh no . . . keep it coming.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
McGruff":lzi354sr said:
vin.couve12":lzi354sr said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Garry_Gilliam/status/712345926761754624[/tweet]

OK, I'll slow my roll on the spam...

Oh no . . . keep it coming.
It turns out that pertinent tweetage is a finite resource. There was a flurry of them and then nothing. Maybe we'll get to see more of what Schneider said later. Pete is on NFLN tonight as well.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I'm nervous about the OL. Next year is going to henge on the draft.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Anyone know what Gilliam's arm length is?

I've looked for it online and can't find it yet, but would appreciate it if anyone can help.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3mmm7gg3 said:
Reposting for emphasis.

GilliamPBE

Gilliamrunblock

Yup, even if its PFF cannot overlook the growth Gilliam showed in the 2nd half.

Compare that development to the other young tackles we've had at the position, you can see that while mentally Gilliam is raw is athleticism and work ethics are right where they need to be going forward.

Some say that Gilliam is more natural on the left side, thats what he played at Penn for a year, and what he was his first year.

The guy is entering only his third season but he looks the part athletically and hes definately a guy who I think will realize the opportunity he has in front of him to establish himself and earn a decent contract in the future.

If he can take only 2 weeks of being a RT to be better than pretty much every first year starting RT we've had since Locklear in 2004. I cant imagine the potential Gilliam has coming off 18 games of valuable experience and in a position to lockdown a premium position in this league and earn some big time money.

I dont think he's sitting there now doubting himself like we are or thinking he's not good enough. Or being complacent thinking he has arrived and what he was last year was good enough.

Hes probably putting together his best off-season ever right now with a pretty solid idea of what it takes to be in this league to not only be good but great.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Ok you talked me off the ledge for now. He does move better than Okung so it would stand to reason he should be better at getting to the speed rushers comming off the edge that we have struggled with the last few years.

crosfam

Reaction score
I believe if Gilliam were to be re-drafted (suspend reality) with the potential and experience he has shown so far, he would be a top 10, even maybe top 5 pick. He is an athletic young tackle with all the traits needed, work ethic, and a year of starter experience. We will probably be talking about a big contract extension next year.

I still expect a versatile tackle in he draft, and a center. Probably on day 2. I think we go DE/LB, ST, or DB in the fist round - if we keep the pick.

seabowl

Reaction score
crosfam":3jdr0mnp said:
I believe if Gilliam were to be re-drafted (suspend reality) with the potential and experience he has shown so far, he would be a top 10, even maybe top 5 pick. He is an athletic young tackle with all the traits needed, work ethic, and a year of starter experience. We will probably be talking about a big contract extension next year.

I still expect a versatile tackle in he draft, and a center. Probably on day 2. I think we go DE/LB, ST, or DB in the fist round - if we keep the pick.

Homer alert! Top 10 or top 5? He gets beat regularly and is average at best. This topic is ridiculous.

kearly

Reaction score
Hawks46":3frwtsd1 said:
This is a natural assumption to make, but I try not to make it. We don't know with any degree of certainty (unless folks have insider info that they haven't shared) that Britt was moved from RT because he lost the job, or because he was needed more at LG.

If Britt were playing well at RT, they wouldn't have moved him to LG, it's as simple as that. It's a lot harder to find a good RT than it is to find a good LG.

Bailey was in Cable's doghouse that much is true, but if replacing him was so urgent they could have just plugged Gilliam in there, which would have actually been easier for a raw player such as him, or gone to the rookie Glowinsky.

BTW I have nothing against Gilliam. I liked Gilliam before it was cool. When I saw him in his first preseason game two years ago I was excited by his left tackle type build. I just think he's a total project, similar to Sokoli. I think he has been promoted over-aggressively due to his tantalizing traits (coupled with some roster desperation). That's why I frequently compare him to Mike Zunino. I like him but it might be years before he is ready.

chris98251

Reaction score
seabowl":2yza1sqh said:
crosfam":2yza1sqh said:

Homer alert! Top 10 or top 5? He gets beat regularly and is average at best. This topic is ridiculous.

So with that deep insight and the fact we are on record as having Gilliam penciled in as our LT tell me what is really ridiculous here.

chet380

Reaction score
chris98251":1szg5d4l said:
seabowl":1szg5d4l said:
crosfam":1szg5d4l said:

So with that deep insight and the fact we are on record as having Gilliam penciled in as our LT tell me what is really ridiculous here.

The observation may not be deeply insightful, but it is accurate -- we will be lucky to get 50% of Okung's ability at LT from this guy. I am always hopeful about the Hawks prospects, but this year's OL situation has me seriously concerned.

Jville

Reaction score
chet380":16hfy1w3 said:
chris98251":16hfy1w3 said:
seabowl":16hfy1w3 said:
crosfam":16hfy1w3 said:

The observation may not be deeply insightful, but it is accurate -- we will be lucky to get 50% of Okung's ability at LT from this guy. I am always hopeful about the Hawks prospects, but this year's OL situation has me seriously concerned.

I find that impossible to swallow. I can only assume you must really be upset about the departure of Okung. Even Alvin Bailey graded out better than 50% of Okung's ability. Gilliam's full potential has yet to be realized.

crosfam

Reaction score
I will stand by my prediction that this time next year, we are trying to extend Gilliam before his tender year, at $5-7 million per year. I think in one year he has demonstrated he is as good as any 1st round draft prospect. Remember what Sweezy pulled in on day one of free agency.

seabowl

Reaction score
crosfam":g0oag7fe said:
I will stand by my prediction that this time next year, we are trying to extend Gilliam before his tender year, at $5-7 million per year. I think in one year he has demonstrated he is as good as any 1st round draft prospect. Remember what Sweezy pulled in on day one of free agency.

I'm blown away by Gilliam as a top OL let alone LT. He was average at best and is still a MAJOR project. Can he be in the future what you say? Nobody knows. However he in no way is anything near. 1st round talent. Again he is still just a project.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Average at best.

I love how fans can just project a young players ceiling disregarding thier actual development.

That development being going from college TE to LT his final year in college.

Continuing that development as a raw rookie for the Seahawks.

Then into his second year, half way through the pre-season being thrown in at RT. And then actually being the best option at that position despite being completely raw without that mental experience of being able to transition end to end with flawless footwork.

That showed in first 8 games but despite that he wasnt the worst RT in the game.

Then you disregard that he actually graded out pretty damn well in his last 8 games showing vast improvement.

Again he is probably the best first year RT starteer Seahawks have had since 2004 Locklear who had Walt, Hutch, Toebeck, and Gray already established and playing at an elite level together.

Gilliam was at least better imo than 2010 Pumbus, 2011 Carpenter, 2012 Giacomini, 2013 Bowie, and 2014 Britt.

Then you totally disregard Gilliam completely in my opinion, players with elite athleticism and incredible work ethics, dont tend to fall from trees... Especially guys that big.

So now we are putting a 3rd year player, putting him back to a position of familarity, after gaining 18 games of experience, who possesess the athleticism and work ethic to not only stick but improve, and then giving that guy one of the biggest opportunities of his lifetime to compete and establish himself at a premium position in this league.

And you dont think good things will happen from that. Yeah, he might be average at best but we dont know what is his ceiling is at this point.

But if you give me a guy who can give me league average in his first year of starting at LT and play 16 games... I would say thats a guy who could be a future cornerstone for the next 4-5 years.

Seafan

Reaction score
The team picked up a road grader type RT. Last year showed they can endure any OL when they do the quick rhythm spread system. Cable doesn't seem to esteem pass blocking skills as much as the fans do. Fans may be disappointed by the up coming draft. Gilliam may well be the best OL the Hawks field in 2016.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Jville":376suu8p said:
chet380":376suu8p said:
chris98251":376suu8p said:
seabowl":376suu8p said:
crosfam said:

I find that impossible to swallow. I can only assume you must really be upset about the departure of Okung. Even Alvin Bailey graded out better than 50% of Okung's ability. Gilliam's full potential has yet to be realized.
My take as well. What we saw from Gilliam was erratic play that is typical for a first-year starter, but dare I say he had more than a few positive moments as well. We'll see how he fares in yr 2.
He has already checked one block with how nimble his feet are. Hopefully he's focusing on core strength this off season.

Jville

Reaction score
^^^ I wish your posted quotes had of worked out better. It looks like the remarks I objected to could be incorrectly attributed to me by a casual reader that hasn't read thru the thread.

But yes, I don't entirely understand why we have so many posts that rush to dismiss guys that are obviously still growing and developing. Particularly at a time of the year when they are trying to build up the roster ..... not cut it down. To me growth and development is what the Seahawk program is all about. Indeed it is the underlying purpose and goal of all organized sports.

It is difficult to ignore fans that just don't get it. Fans that are oblivious to what the Seahawks program is all about. But as hard as it is, it is the responsibility of each of us that do get it, to continue to work on our growth and tolerance for that segment of the 12's nation that is struggling to understand. After all, not every 12 is a good student. And yet there resides in each of us the potential for the light to come and celebrate with the words ...... oh yea ...... I get it! ..... I'M IN!

Go Hawks!

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Posting here for good measure:

I can't find the actual score right now, but I'll put this in perspective:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jaredstanger/status/465284025624829952[/tweet]

2014draft OT 1

Now let's compare that to this year's stock of OTs

http://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/ol/

The highest SPARQ score for any OL in this draft is a 126 with the next highest being a 119.

For more perspective:

Okung's 40: 5.18
Gilliam's 40: 5.03

Okung's 10-yard split: 1.79
Gilliam's 10-yard split: 1.68

Okung's short shuttle: 4.80
Gilliam's short shuttle: 4.56

Okung's 3-cone: 7.79
Gilliam's 3-cone: 7.59

Okung's vertical: 32.5
Gilliam's vertical: 35

Now, do the Seahawks value the position differently really? Or do they know what they already have to work with in a player who's development skyrocketed dramatically in the second half of the season? If Sowell can challenge then all the better. I'm not sure that even a 1st round OT in this draft will have a chance.

Latest posts