Golden Tate or Doug Baldwin

Throwdown

Reaction score
With Tate's penchant to do dumb crap, I'm going Baldwin easily if I HAVE to make a choice between the two.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I can see Doug wanting to go play with Luck. Just a hunch. He's good enough to be a hall-of-famer in a system that chucks it.

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
I remember reading a tweet from Dougie in response to someone's free agency question and his response was something along the lines of don't worry about it. He'll be back for sure.

mikeak

Reaction score
I think Rice and Miller either completely restructure or are gone

I think the team is concerned about Percy and injuries but hope for the best

I think we make a decision in part based on how the draft goes. If we can get a break-away / separatation WR we take him and cut one of these guys. If not we probably sign them both.

Tate did not do much the last few games but he is though as nails....

Exittium

Reaction score
My issue with Tate, is through out the post season, he's been really MIA, and not giving it his all. I.e. yesterday the pass from wilson that he could have probably jumped and layed out to catch he let whiff by him. And thats just one example of many catches this year where he's been more or less picky. Baldwin has been going strong all year for hard catches and kearse when he's healthy.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
It's just my opinion but I bet Doug Baldwin gets a fairly big contract from a different team. Baldwin is out to prove he can be the 1,000+ yard receiver in a passing offense. A team offering more money and more opprotunities in the passing game will be hard to turn down becuase most WR's don't like to block. So I think Baldwin will be one of the more valued seahawks that attracts alot of attention from all teams who need a WR becuase Baldwin showed he is clutch and able to produce in the passing game.

I could see the Colts or Redskins going after Baldwin and offering him a contract that the Seahawks cannot match.

joeshaney

Reaction score
While restructing zack miller, sidney rice, and chris clemons is all possible....
I don't see us cutting anyone unless Pete and John flat out don't think they can contribute OR they refuse a restructure.

While there are certainly a couple guys we will want to resign, it isn't until next year that the really difficult cap decisions will need to be made.
That is unless we go hard after a big name in free agency (extremely doubtful).

HawkFan72

Reaction score
One of them is getting Rice's money. We know for sure that we can win without Rice now.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I am not one who keeps track of these things but what is Rice's contract situation? Would it be better if we let him go and kept Tate and Baldwin? That is what I would prefer to do. Baldwin is clutch and Tate just has the don't F with me attitude that I like.

kearly

Reaction score
Tate drew the toughest matchup in the SB, that being DRC. The rest of our players were being covered by scrubs and a very old Champ Bailey, who's probably about as good a corner right now as Marcus Trufant was last season.

Baldwin is a keeper for sure, but he's come on strong at the end of the season when the matchups favored him more than they had previously. Tate is the opposite, though Tate did not play particularly well in any of these three postseason games even when targeted.

It's a blessing IMO. Tate seems pretty likely to stay well under $5 million a year. Given his punt return contribution, his hands, and his after catch ability, I think he's probably worth $3-4 million a year. He's also durable, and that's extra valuable given our history with WR injuries.

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
Guys... Pay closer attention please... Tate hasn't been doing as much the last few games, yes. But he was game planned for as our #1 receiver.... Drawing the best corner.

I hope we keep both. And while I do think Doug is clutch as hell and I love him; it sounds like I will continue to have to be in the minority and point out why Tate deserves way more credit than he's getting.

Largent80

Reaction score
RW gave Sidney major props post game. I expect him back, way cheaper. Baldy and Tate as well.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Rice is gone. I like what he brings when on the field...but how much money do we want to put in Rice AND Harvin? People complaining about Tate will rue the day we tie up money in Rice while letting the ironman Tate depart. I wouldn't offer Rice more than a 1/3rd of his current deal.

With the D pretty well set, I am sure we will be drafting a Rice clone. Much cheaper, probably more reliable.

I think a big question is what do we do with Clem? Love the guy and thankfully, he played well yesterday, but with a year left on his deal, this might be the logical time to seek a trade (JAX?).

It's a cut throat business and few move players like Pete and John. I think we are going to be surprised, if not shocked, at a few of the transactions that will take place this off season. I can think of a particular name right now that I think will be on that list but...mmm shudder to think. I won't go there the day after the biggest day in our history. Love the man too much to do so.

Penman96

Reaction score
Saw an interview with Tate after the game, he knows about Seattle sports and listed off some history, and his love of the 12. That's respectful.

I hope they can keep him, but with a big tall target man WR coming in the draft and Harvin eating 13 million of cap space next year, I'm not sure how much extra cash we have for the WR position.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Also heard an interview he did recently where he just gushed about his love for Pete and how much Pete put up with (with him) in his first couple years on the team and (basically) felt like only recently had he earned / deserved his roster spot. He said similar at the SB and I got the feeling his gratitude was genuine and that he would likely play nice this off season.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I think Baldwin stays and Tate goes simply because Tate has the same job as Harvin.

We're going to need to spend a bit of money on a Rice replacement so we will probably need to go younger on the 4th/5th receivers.

Latest posts