Good pass protection 2 straight weeks

hawk45

Reaction score
and not-so-coincidentally the passing offense flourishes.

I didn't key on Pocic but he's been the common denominator the last two weeks, maybe there's something to that.

Odhiambo got blown up at times in the run game but to my eyes he battled and gave Russ a chance against a ferocious Clowney.

I'm just going to pretend there is no such thing as running in the NFL so I don't have to think about how awful the blocking and the backs are.

renofox

Reaction score
Big props to Odhiambo.

Was not perfect but he held his own against Clowney.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
renofox":2mazpwlu said:
Big props to Odhiambo.

Ohdiambo got help with chip blocks all game long. He was also blown up on run plays as well. He wasn't good but we actually game planned for it thankfully. Props to Bevel for that.

OP
OP
hawk45

hawk45

Reaction score
Natethegreat":pieg3oe1 said:
renofox":pieg3oe1 said:
Big props to Odhiambo.

Ohdiambo got help with chip blocks all game long. He was also blown up on run plays as well. He wasn't good but we actually game planned for it thankfully. Props to Bevel for that.

I think if it's just one dominant DL we can gameplan around it okay. More than one and we are in deep trouble.

But hey, the OL has done 1 thing at a pretty high level the past two weeks: pass protect. They haven't blocked for the run AT ALL, but doing even one thing at a high level is exceeding my expectations honestly.

renofox

Reaction score
Natethegreat":sw32mip0 said:
renofox":sw32mip0 said:
Big props to Odhiambo.

Disagree with your pass blocking analysis. I was watching Rees all game, and he was left 1-on-1 with Clowney for ~80% of the passing snaps. ~3/4 of the time he gave RW 3+ seconds.

Agree with your run blocking analysis. He flat out sucked, along with every other member of the O-line.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
Odhiambo looks really shaky to start with, I gues which it to be expected against clowney. But he sure did then it around halfway through the game

Seymour

Reaction score
Give Russ the time, and he'll take any team down. The run game is completely broke, but over 450 throwing is a ridiculous day throwing the ball. Exciting finish, and glad Graham came through again. I'll need to watch again to see on Pocic, but no news is good news so I think he is part of the solution at this point.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I thought RW had enough time to pass but more so in the 2nd half.
I cannot believe the run blocking ..How you win without it- I dunno.
Pete needs to tell Cable -Time to trash that run zone blocking scheme.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
renofox":1cqe5w74 said:
Big props to Odhiambo.

I thought he got destroyed by Clowney to be honest. Clowney was in our backfield so much I thought Russ was going to hand the ball off to him.

Smellyman

Reaction score
renofox":2gdy7vbo said:
Big props to Odhiambo.

Props?

That dude has the lowest bar in the league if that game deserves props.

renofox

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3klw2tr8 said:
renofox":3klw2tr8 said:
Big props to Odhiambo.

I thought he got destroyed by Clowney to be honest. Clowney was in our backfield so much I thought Russ was going to hand the ball off to him.

How many sacks/hits/hurries did Clowney get?

How many times did RW have 3-6 seconds to throw without leaving the pocket?

Honest answers to these questions will show that reality trumps perception formed from a few plays.

OP
OP
hawk45

hawk45

Reaction score
Yeah I saw Odhiambo get killed on a couple of run plays. But we've seen "destroyed" in pass pro - last year Fant got destroyed vs AZ - and it looks like your QB has no chance at all on several drop backs.

Russ had silly time back there on some downs, and even when he had to move around guys weren't coming out him completely unimpeded by blockers. I saw Odhiambo really struggle with Clowney but stay between Clowney and Russ to give the play a chance.

renofox

Reaction score
hawk45":3esq28of said:
Yeah I saw Odhiambo get killed on a couple of run plays. But we've seen "destroyed" in pass pro - last year Fant got destroyed vs AZ - and it looks like your QB has no chance at all on several drop backs.

Russ had silly time back there on some downs, and even when he had to move around guys weren't coming out him completely unimpeded by blockers. I saw Odhiambo really struggle with Clowney but stay between Clowney and Russ to give the play a chance.

This.

Rees struggled all day but fought his ass off and kept Clowney out of RW's face on the vast majority of plays.

Yes, he sucked at run blocking but this thread is about good pass protection by the OL.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
renofox":3m4t5epu said:
pittpnthrs":3m4t5epu said:
renofox":3m4t5epu said:
Big props to Odhiambo.

How many sacks/hits/hurries did Clowney get?

How many times did RW have 3-6 seconds to throw without leaving the pocket?

Honest answers to these questions will show that reality trumps perception formed from a few plays.
Even just with perception, my perception was "Russ isn't running for his life every play". I think people can forget just how bad this line has been for the past couple of seasons.

Another thing that seemed different: Russ trusted his line and didn't immediately bail from the pocket at the first sign of trouble (an understandable reaction). As fun as it is to watch Russ's desperation plays work out, I much prefer a game like today (reminds me of Rodgers: smart pocket passer with the ability to scramble when required).

OP
OP
hawk45

hawk45

Reaction score
SeahawksCanuck":3qzd9iuv said:
Even just with perception, my perception was "Russ isn't running for his life every play". I think people can forget just how bad this line has been for the past couple of seasons.

Another thing that seemed different: Russ trusted his line and didn't immediately bail from the pocket at the first sign of trouble (an understandable reaction). As fun as it is to watch Russ's desperation plays work out, I much prefer a game like today (reminds me of Rodgers: smart pocket passer with the ability to scramble when required).

Russ def helped out Odhiambo by trusting him to at least stay between him and the blocker.

There was a play where Odhiambo couldn't push Clowney far enough back, and Russ stepped up in the pocket and hit Doug for a nice gain. There were two other similar plays, one to McKissic and I don't recall the second target, where Russ got the ball out quickly, whether by design or happy accident.

"Getting in the defender's way" and putting up some kind of resistance as long as possible is a big step up IMO from what we've had against the better pass rushers.

Maybe some game Russ doesn't step up and those 3 sacks go on Odhiambo but this wasn't that game.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Renofox stop trolling, your assessment of this game is lunacy. Clowney looking like the blue chip player he was coming out of college against us.

4 players on the line played well, one got beat consistently, I'm not sure you will like hearing which player it was.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":mbepxzd8 said:
Renofox stop trolling, your assessment of this game is lunacy. Clowney looking like the blue chip player he was coming out of college against us.

4 players on the line played well, one got beat consistently, I'm not sure you will like hearing which player it was.

The fact it was Clowney, and the fact that Russ only got sacked twice says a lot about what Odhiambo did right. He kept Russ on his feet (and yes, of course a lot of that goes to Russ, too), in order to extend plays.

Props indeed to Rees.

renofox

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2qx2gv0d said:

If you are interested in reality, i would suggest you check my breakdown on the other OL thread here and dispute anything I said.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I was at the game today and I saw continued improvement by the guys up front. So I don't agree with the assessment that Renofox is trolling.

Danny Darko

Reaction score
smoke and mirrors... trade Lane, get a RT and Albert and we are real, but as an avid Ifedi proponent- he's done done done.

Latest posts