Goodell: NFL to consider centralizing replay reviews

Sturm

Reaction score
Goodell wants to make all these changes but he hasn't changed the one thing that needs to be changed which is these BS 50 yard PI calls which affect a game.

They need to make PI a 10 or 15 yard penalty and get rid of these game-changing calls by refs.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
After seeing Jeff Triplette's fiasco in the Bengals/Colts game this past week where there was obvious video evidence that Benjarvis was down before crossing the goaline, something, anything needs to be done to stop the endless screw-ups in the NFL's officiating. In order for this to be a good thing, they will have to hire people that actually have eyesight.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I've advocated for this before, but I think officiating should be done by expert teams at some central headquarters. Officials should be on the field basically to do what they're told to do by decision-makers not even in the state the game's being played in. Add more camera angles for the "real" officials to see everything from.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I saw this on nfl.com yesterday, and it got me thinking....would it improve the calls if they replay officials were not only in one place, but also isolated from real time information regarding the games...basically they'd have no information regarding the score of the game or anything else except for the actual video of the replay itself? We are all human, and in watching officiating it can sometimes appear to lean towards or against teams, not so much on who they are, but on how the game is going. I don't believe it's any kind of conspiracy, but more a human nature type of thing that could sub consciously have an effect on the decision in very close plays. Having the officials have no idea of the score or any other information not regarding the play itself might cause there to be less subconscious partiality in any rulings. Just a thought

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Kidhawk, I guarantee that would make a difference. People have biases about everything, and they affect everything you do at a subconscious level at a minimum. All you can do is try to mentally "face your bias", admitting it exists, and try to compensate for it.

ronnieboycefanclub

Reaction score
Why not have the system that is used in Cricket and Rugby. There is a designated reply official in the stadium, when the referee requires a reply he makes the draw a square reply signal.

In rugby, the discussions between the referee and the reply officials are transmitted live to the viewers at home.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kidhawk":2gab5ue2 said:
I saw this on nfl.com yesterday, and it got me thinking....would it improve the calls if they replay officials were not only in one place, but also isolated from real time information regarding the games...basically they'd have no information regarding the score of the game or anything else except for the actual video of the replay itself? We are all human, and in watching officiating it can sometimes appear to lean towards or against teams, not so much on who they are, but on how the game is going. I don't believe it's any kind of conspiracy, but more a human nature type of thing that could sub consciously have an effect on the decision in very close plays. Having the officials have no idea of the score or any other information not regarding the play itself might cause there to be less subconscious partiality in any rulings. Just a thought
That actually is a sound idea. :th2thumbs:

Latest posts