Great Chalk Talk this week

brimsalabim

Reaction score
yes I get this...but at some point doesn't the OC need to say to him self... wait a minute this guy isn't capable of making that block this play hinges on... I better run something the players on the field can execute?

the ditch

Reaction score
That was either Moore or Patmon if it was a nickel corner, both are no bigger than Kearse is if he can't make a block on them then he can't make a block on anyone in the field and shouldn't be in the game.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Brock just actually proves it WAS play calling, at least in that particular instance. Two things could've happened: either Wilson could've audibled out of that play call and didn't, or Bevell just got outguessed. Let me explain.

Look at the chalk talk. See how Percy is lined up in the slot ? We have one Nickle CB splitting two WRs in Kearse and Harvin. But how can one guy cover 2 WRs Drew? You might ask. Answer: you don't. The FS is actually going to be responsible for Harvin. But he's in single high and shaded to Lynch's side just a bit. So the next question would be: why would you trust a FS playing 15 yards off of a WR of Harvin's speed to cover said WR and give up literally half the field to do so? How would you cover a guy that can go up the seam, then cut to the outside and literally have no one there to top him ?

Ding ! Ding ! Ding ! That's the million dollar question. The answer ? Dallas KNEW Harvin wasn't going to go deep. They KNEW it was a screen pass. That's the only way you can cover Harvin in that situation. There is absolutely no way that FS can cover Harvin if he goes up field and then fades to an out route. That FS might not be able to cover Harvin if he just flies straight upfield (keeping in mind most Safeties aren't as fast as CB's).

Well, the Nickle could split off and cover Harvin if he goes upfield. Sure, then who covers Kearse ? He's got an easy 10-12 yard reception with only a FS coming at him from 15 yards away, or a CB coming off of his guy to make a play. This is a gamble by the Cowboys and it paid off in spades because we're so damned predictable.

Brock Huard is right. They invited that screen. We had numbers: 3 WRs to 2 CBs. Problem is, there is two ways to take advantage of that, and we played the one way it could work out in Dallas' favor. The ONLY way Dallas wins that play is if one of their guys beats a single block.

If I'm a coach or QB and I see that, I'm sending Harvin. Wilson throws that ball to Harvin's left shoulder and draws him away from the FS.....and there is literally no way they can stop that, short of a poor pass or a drop on our part. We're just getting too cute, and this proves it.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":rmik8gg4 said:
Brock just actually proves it WAS play calling, at least in that particular instance. Two things could've happened: either Wilson could've audibled out of that play call and didn't, or Bevell just got outguessed. Let me explain.

Look at the chalk talk. See how Percy is lined up in the slot ? We have one Nickle CB splitting two WRs in Kearse and Harvin. But how can one guy cover 2 WRs Drew? You might ask. Answer: you don't. The FS is actually going to be responsible for Harvin. But he's in single high and shaded to Lynch's side just a bit. So the next question would be: why would you trust a FS playing 15 yards off of a WR of Harvin's speed to cover said WR and give up literally half the field to do so? How would you cover a guy that can go up the seam, then cut to the outside and literally have no one there to top him ?

Ding ! Ding ! Ding ! That's the million dollar question. The answer ? Dallas KNEW Harvin wasn't going to go deep. They KNEW it was a screen pass. That's the only way you can cover Harvin in that situation. There is absolutely no way that FS can cover Harvin if he goes up field and then fades to an out route. That FS might not be able to cover Harvin if he just flies straight upfield (keeping in mind most Safeties aren't as fast as CB's).

Well, the Nickle could split off and cover Harvin if he goes upfield. Sure, then who covers Kearse ? He's got an easy 10-12 yard reception with only a FS coming at him from 15 yards away, or a CB coming off of his guy to make a play. This is a gamble by the Cowboys and it paid off in spades because we're so damned predictable.

Brock Huard is right. They invited that screen. We had numbers: 3 WRs to 2 CBs. Problem is, there is two ways to take advantage of that, and we played the one way it could work out in Dallas' favor. The ONLY way Dallas wins that play is if one of their guys beats a single block.

If I'm a coach or QB and I see that, I'm sending Harvin. Wilson throws that ball to Harvin's left shoulder and draws him away from the FS.....and there is literally no way they can stop that, short of a poor pass or a drop on our part. We're just getting too cute, and this proves it.

I've heard arguments that the bubbles and such worked last week and nobody complained. They seem to forget the best TD of Harvin's called back was the third one. It was the best because it was so easy. He was in the slot on the left and basically ran a post. Deep safeties were covering wide and Harvin blew past the lb/safety left underneath.

The above from Hawks46 shows it again. We don't always have to send Harvin deep, but a shot can't hurt and it mainly demands speed from the WR (Harvin has plenty). Other than a couple of those, I wish there were more 5-15yrd routes for Harvin. Behind the LOS stuff should be the more uncommon (2-3 times a game).

Largent80

Reaction score
Hawks46":ci4awc8i said:

Best post I've seen from anyone all week

byau

Reaction score
Okay not bad, but we had lack of execution for much of the game it seems. It seems we *did* not execute more often than not

Shouldn't Bevell make adjustments?

1) change the players to ones who can execute that play = we *do* execute more often than not
2) change the play to ones the current players can execute = we *do* execute more often than not

If you don't do 1) or 2), we deserve to lose

If you cannot do 1) or 2), then as a whole our players are worse than their players and they deserve to win.