Grueling workouts put multiple Oregon players in hospital

CPHawk

Reaction score
drrew":tkwwk89m said:
JSeahawks":tkwwk89m said:
Strength coach suspended 1 month with no pay.

Also no longer reports to Taggart, reports now to the Director of Performance and Sports Science.

Read somewhere that this guy (Irele Oderinde) has no formal background in any sort of Sports Science, that he's basically a glorified personal trainer. I realize he has a history with Taggart, but seems like Oregon could do better.

He's been a S and C coach at Notre Dame, WKU and USF. He has 14 years of experience, don't listen to anything Conzano is saying. His entire argument is because coach O didn't major in sports science.

sondevil89

Reaction score
CPHawk":o635tfy7 said:
drrew":o635tfy7 said:
JSeahawks":o635tfy7 said:

Also no longer reports to Taggart, reports now to the Director of Performance and Sports Science.

Read somewhere that this guy (Irele Oderinde) has no formal background in any sort of Sports Science, that he's basically a glorified personal trainer. I realize he has a history with Taggart, but seems like Oregon could do better.

He's been a S and C coach at Notre Dame, WKU and USF. He has 14 years of experience, don't listen to anything Conzano is saying. His entire argument is because coach O didn't major in sports science.

That's incorrect, he spent two years as a associate director of S&C coach at WKU. That means he was an assistant. At Notre Dame he was the speed and skills development coach.

His actual experience as a lead S&C coach is three yrs at USF.

The article where the former president of the American Strength and Conditioning Coaches Association stated he wasn't qualified was published by CBS and had nothing to do with Canzano.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.d ... =209517737

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... l-players/

CPHawk

Reaction score
sondevil89":3g1ale8e said:
CPHawk":3g1ale8e said:
drrew":3g1ale8e said:
JSeahawks":3g1ale8e said:

That's incorrect, he spent two years as a associate director of S&C coach at WKU. That means he was an assistant. At Notre Dame he was the speed and skills development coach.

His actual experience as a lead S&C coach is three yrs at USF.

The article where the former president of the American Strength and Conditioning Coaches Association stated he wasn't qualified was published by CBS and had nothing to do with Canzano.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.d ... =209517737

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... l-players/

So you're telling me being an assistant coach doesn't count as experience? Interesting since the S&C coach at SC also doesn't have a degree in fitness, he was an assistant and then at Snoqualmie HS before going to UW, and being named S&C coach of the year.

sondevil89

Reaction score
CPHawk":6m6qj1z6 said:
So you're telling me being an assistant coach doesn't count as experience? Interesting since the S&C coach at SC also doesn't have a degree in fitness, he was an assistant and then at Snoqualmie HS before going to UW, and being named S&C coach of the year.

An assistant doesn't set policy, they follow policy. As for his qualifications, I defer to the former president of the ASCCA. Are you saying he isn't qualified to determine who is qualified or not?

A large part of this is simple common sense, you start intense workouts eight months before the season starts? There are only two outcomes:

1. You peak too early.

2. You over-train and risk injury and fatigue OR as in this case, a life threatening condition.

Has the SC coach put multiple athletes in the hospital with rhabdomyolysis?

cesame

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3jt6sgmk said:
cesame":3jt6sgmk said:
At the end of his month long suspension he needs to be let go. Coach Rad blows this guy out of the water in this field.

I've been hoping for years that they'd replace Coach Rad. His techniques are great for track and field, and some of the other sports. He has not made our football players big or powerful enough.

I think people confuse this with terrible coaching and lack of talent.

The team was undisciplined, had no heart, unmotivated, etc you name it. Don't confuse this with lacking in the weight room.

Besides, Oregon's brand was to be the better conditioned team and be faster than you. Play 4 quarters and not wear down. It was the other team that would break first and then Oregon would walk all over them. Remember when teams were faking injuries?

Coach Rad did an unbelievable job making athletes that were able to run Chip Kelly's blur offense. That worked as well as it did because of the work Rad had them do, and all across the country to this day Oregon is known for its speed. If he wanted to he could easily put together a program and bulk guys up and I have no doubt he has.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Is this the first time a college football team has implemented these types of workouts?

CPHawk

Reaction score
sondevil89":2kislie0 said:
CPHawk":2kislie0 said:

An assistant doesn't set policy, they follow policy. As for his qualifications, I defer to the former president of the ASCCA. Are you saying he isn't qualified to determine who is qualified or not?

A large part of this is simple common sense, you start intense workouts eight months before the season starts? There are only two outcomes:

1. You peak too early.

2. You over-train and risk injury and fatigue OR as in this case, a life threatening condition.

Well he is actually certified so anyone's argument to the contrary looks stupid now. Lesson of the day, never trust Conzano, he doesn't actually fact check before running with his lies.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Are there any examples of college teams implementing these types of workouts where no players had to be hospitalized?

sondevil89

Reaction score
CPHawk":36y1f6k9 said:
sondevil89":36y1f6k9 said:
CPHawk":36y1f6k9 said:

1. You peak too early.

Well he is actually certified so anyone's argument to the contrary looks stupid now. Lesson of the day, never trust Conzano, he doesn't actually fact check before running with his lies.

As I clearly stated before, I did NOT reference an article by Conzano, the article was from CBS and the person saying he wasn't qualified was the former president of the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches Association. Is that clear enough?

As for his so-called "certification" that amounts to a 21-hour course through the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association. He is NOT certified with the Collegiate Strength & Conditioning Coaches Association.

This should have been a no-brainer, this condition almost always occurs in athletes who have been off training for a period. If he had enough knowledge to be aware of that then how did this happen? These young athletes have been in the hospital for a week. You have to be pretty serious to be kept in the hospital for a week these days. It was simply irresponsible.

This is what's called defending the indefensible.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... s_rem.html