Happy Draft Pick Improvement Day

Donn2390

Reaction score
2 overall may as well be 1 overall for us. Houston is going QB and I would 99.9% expect Seattle to go with either of the two blue chip defenders at the top of the draft.
Depending on what the pickers behind us are looking for, be it not DL, we could trade down and still get a cream of the crop DL and other picks. I'm sure PC & JS are talking to other pickers to see their intentions. We'll know more in a couple of weeks.

Own The West

Reaction score
This whole season of schadenfreude may come crashing down though if the Cardinals lose to the Broncos on the 18th, then the Rams tank on the 25th dropping our pick out of the top 5.

...and during the post game interview with Bobby Wagner, Jalen Ramsey walks into the background flips off the camera and yells, "Merry Christmas Seattle!"

Just getting my, "worst case scenario" out there now, so I don't suffer as much if it happens. lol

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Wilson is abysmal; I didn't and still don't wish it on him, but I think he's done. Next year he'll be pedestrian and the Broncos will be looking for a way out, or he has a career ending injury. I could see him just quitting to save face, with an ego like his.
"Pedestrian" would be a step up.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Depending on what the pickers behind us are looking for, be it not DL, we could trade down and still get a cream of the crop DL and other picks. I'm sure PC & JS are talking to other pickers to see their intentions. We'll know more in a couple of weeks.
Schnieder loves trading down and still getting the player they wanted anyway, for extra picks--like fifth rounders.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Schnieder loves trading down and still getting the player they wanted anyway, for extra picks--like fifth rounders.

It depends on if they actually have a target.

These guys value top picks a lot. They were trying to move UP last year from 9, and that's directly from seahawks.com. They tend to stick and pick in the top half of the first because that's where their actual first round grades are.

That said, if the blue chip defenders are gone and someone is trying to trade up for a QB, I think it's probably better to go for the value. I don't see anyone inspiring enough outside of Carter/Anderson to blow a top 5 pick on.

If someone wants CJ Stroud or something, it'll probably be great value to move down, too. Maybe an additional 2024 first depending on how far back they move.

RiverDog

Reaction score
We have to forget about the current draft slotting if the season were to end today and look at teams that are within a game of the Broncos' current record. That includes the Bears, Rams, Cards, Saints, Panthers, and Jags. We gotta root for those teams to win. If the Texans were to stumble into another win, then we could keep an eye on them as well.

My sense is that the Donkeys are going to win at least one more time, likely against the Cards. I had penciled in a Broncos win vs. the Rams, but after last night's result and the Rams unexpectedly strong performance against us, they may not be as easy of an out as I thought they'd be.

Having that first rounder from the Donkeys adds more intrigue to this season than would otherwise be the case.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Schneider's reasoning for trading down was they (the Hawks) had their players identified with first round grades. And if those guys were gone they'd trade down. Obviously at 2-4 there will be guys available they have given a first round grade to and have a need. I can't see them trading out of the top 5 unless an offer comes in that just knocks their socks off.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Denver must really hate Seattle. First all the bronco busting crap with Mr. Ed and then the 43-8 clown show with Mr. Magoo Manning and now we sent them the used husk of Russell Wilson for a kings ransom.
I love the fact that this is happening to Wilson since he quit on the Seahawks and us fans. It also cracks me up that the broncos have another first but the more the 49ers win the worse that pick is going to get.

I used to hate on the steAlers up until the last one of them from the XL season retired and now I have the donkeys to cheer against every week instead. Gotta have a hobby and all.
Hearing about the Bronco Busters t shirts brought back the memories of the Boz Busters T shirts being sold in Denver and the company that was selling them was owned by Brian Bosworth putting his business degree from Oklahoma to good use

RiverDog

Reaction score
Schneider's reasoning for trading down was they (the Hawks) had their players identified with first round grades. And if those guys were gone they'd trade down. Obviously at 2-4 there will be guys available they have given a first round grade to and have a need. I can't see them trading out of the top 5 unless an offer comes in that just knocks their socks off.
Teams are more likely to overpay for a draft pick in the top 5 than they are in the later draft positions. Take a look at what the Niners gave up just to move up just 9 slots just to get to the #3 spot so they could draft Trey Lance. Here's what Shannahan said in defense of the move:

"I actually believe that if we wouldn't have, somebody else was going to eventually, and that price is only going to go up," Shanahan said, via NBC Sports Bay Area.

So someone else would have offered more than the two first rounders and a 3rd rounder just to move up 9 spots? If that statement is anywhere near being accurate, then I don't want to take the for sale sign down on what is looking like a top 5 pick.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Teams are more likely to overpay for a draft pick in the top 5 than they are in the later draft positions. Take a look at what the Niners gave up just to move up just 9 slots just to get to the #3 spot so they could draft Trey Lance. Here's what Shannahan said in defense of the move:

"I actually believe that if we wouldn't have, somebody else was going to eventually, and that price is only going to go up," Shanahan said, via NBC Sports Bay Area.

So someone else would have offered more than the two first rounders and a 3rd rounder just to move up 9 spots? If that statement is anywhere near being accurate, then I don't want to take the for sale sign down on what is looking like a top 5 pick.
The funny thing about the 9ers moving up no other team was interested in Lance maybe in the late 1st or 2nd rd

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
The funny thing about the 9ers moving up no other team was interested in Lance maybe in the late 1st or 2nd rd
i also remember hearing scouts/execs suggesting trey lance was overdrafted by about 20-30 slots.

49ers traded up weeks before the draft. word in 9erland was shanahan actually wanted mac jones and plan b was trey lance.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
i also remember hearing scouts/execs suggesting trey lance was overdrafted by about 20-30 slots.

49ers traded up weeks before the draft. word in 9erland was shanahan actually wanted mac jones and plan b was trey lance.
The general consensus was Shanahan was drafting Mac Jones. Shanahan wants a QB that makes quick decisions, has an accurate arm and is disciplined. IMO the GM made the decision over Shanahan

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not buying Shannahan's version at all. He put that out there to defend such an outrageous trade. There was a good chance that Lance would have dropped to the Niner's #12 overall.

It makes you wonder if someone wasn't playing a little poker, made the Niners think that there were one or more teams interested in trading up for Lance. Supposedly, that's how Jerry Jones was able to swindle the Vikings in the Herschel Walker trade, still the gold standard for one way trades.