Hawks need to draft LB

chris98251

Reaction score
LB's are going to look a lot worse when you don't have DE's that can perform play to play and a weakness in the DT position on downs. They over play and try to support the weakness. Fix the D line and everything back from that looks better.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Chris, you took the words out of my mouth. Yup.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Perplexingly, the Hawks have not fixed the DL.....And now lack the cap to sign any vet player.

Our glaring need is largely not available due to a weakness at the position.....So fixing the DL is about what it is.

There are several upgrades available at LB however and the Hawks need to take advantage.

BASF

Reaction score
chris98251":39ad4dt7 said:
LB's are going to look a lot worse when you don't have DE's that can perform play to play and a weakness in the DT position on downs. They over play and try to support the weakness. Fix the D line and everything back from that looks better.

Easily the best post on this thread. History is full of linebackers who did not look good their first season and turned out to be good players. Give them at least two seasons before you jump the gun.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Largent80":23vr6uam said:
Perplexingly, the Hawks have not fixed the DL.....And now lack the cap to sign any vet player.

Our glaring need is largely not available due to a weakness at the position.....So fixing the DL is about what it is.

Demonstrably incorrect.

John63

Reaction score
HawkStrong":3bhjavnh said:
Largent80":3bhjavnh said:

Demonstrably incorrect.

If the hawks need money to sign players they can get it with a few dead weight releases and asking some players who have already done so in the papst to redo their deals. So the money can be gotten

sdog1981

Reaction score
They need another LB like they need a DT who can't rush the QB.

The NFL has changed. Every time the Seahawks got boat raced over the last few seasons it was due to having 3 linebackers on the field against 11 personnel.

They need a player that can cover crossing routes and help with run support. So whatever name they need to give that position that is the position they need to add.

Even the Holy 2013 Hawks only had 2 linebackers play over 70% of the defensive snaps.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
sdog1981":2nvpqjrm said:

The NFL has changed. Every time the Seahawks got boat raced over the last few seasons it was due to having 3 linebackers on the field against 11 personnel.

They need a player that can cover crossing routes and help with run support. So whatever name they need to give that position that is the position they need to add.

Even the Holy 2013 Hawks only had 2 linebackers play over 70% of the defensive snaps.

As you said, this isn't 2013, yet they still have Wright and Wagner on the field. BOTH are in the back half of their careers. If one is looking toward the future, which is what the draft is all about, then they need to draft their replacements. This will be Wrights last year in a Hawk uni, and has been discussed, made some decent plays last year but is dreadfully
S L O W.

Also, the game is played faster. LB is such an obvious need that I can't believe it needs explaining....Again.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Largent80":20bom4ak said:
sdog1981":20bom4ak said:

As you said, this isn't 2013, yet they still have Wright and Wagner on the field. BOTH are in the back half of their careers. If one is looking toward the future, which is what the draft is all about, then they need to draft their replacements. This will be Wrights last year in a Hawk uni, and has been discussed, made some decent plays last year but is dreadfully
S L O W.

Also, the game is played faster. LB is such an obvious need that I can't believe it needs explaining....Again.

I agree LB needs to be addressed again I don't think that Barton is an adequate replacement . He's clearly a step down from Wags Wright and Kendricks. Maybe he developes maybe not they need more talent across the board on defense not just at DE.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2zvui83v said:
I agree LB needs to be addressed again I don't think that Barton is an adequate replacement . He's clearly a step down from Wags Wright and Kendricks. Maybe he developes maybe not they need more talent across the board on defense not just at DE.

Bobby Wagner is a HOF LBer. A replacement for him is not going to look like him, most likely, or even KJ, who has been very solid at the position.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
You draft players your team needs regardless of what they have done in the past.

This league is about speed and tackling at the lb position. Last year was the worst speed and tackling ever seen on a PC coached team.

Yeah Wagner got a bunch like he always does but they we're beaten like snare drums all year.

It was painful to watch. Pete's insistance on 3 linebackers on the field 75% of the time was also perplexing.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Largent80":1uj39kpm said:
Pete's insistance on 3 linebackers on the field 75% of the time was also perplexing.
Was it? In my view our rookie safety getting torched at nickel CB in the Packers playoff game cracked that particular "mystery" wide open.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Largent80":3picsnnh said:
You draft players your team needs regardless of what they have done in the past.

This league is about speed and tackling at the lb position. Last year was the worst speed and tackling ever seen on a PC coached team.

Yeah Wagner got a bunch like he always does but they we're beaten like snare drums all year.

It was painful to watch. Pete's insistance on 3 linebackers on the field 75% of the time was also perplexing.

Yup, our team speed, from the LB position, was a couple full notches below what we had in the SB years. Younger Bobby and KJ, speedy Bruce Irvin, speedy Darren Smith, our LB position had the speed and quickness of a lot of WR position groups.

We need a speedy, playmaking outside LB. If there's one in the draft where we pick, worth picking up.

Seafan

Reaction score
Terrell Lewis has some medical history and there's rumor he's been taken off several draft boards.

If he were to fall a long way...

King Dog

Reaction score
This is just sad. We drafted two linebackers last year. They will turn out like Tedric and Lano imo.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I wanted to part ways with Wright last offseason, preferably via trade. He came on strong, at the beginning of the year, and made me think I might be jumping the gun. The second half of the year, he just ran out of gas. I don't think he can take a full season anymore.

His cap situation this year is such that I don't think cutting him makes sense, but I definitely think we should not offer him another contract.

I like the idea of holding fast with what we have now. The needs on the line, and in the secondary, are far more pressing. If a UDFA gem falls to us, great. I would look to 2021 for replacing the linebackers

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
King Dog":vrknhgby said:
This is just sad. We drafted two linebackers last year. They will turn out like Tedric and Lano imo.

One of those was ST mostly and emergency backup. The other one actually needs to follow in Wagners footsteps. We simply need OLB, because outside of Barton we have O L D instead.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Well, obviously, they felt the same way. Except they chose a guy nobody was watching which seems to be their M.O.

Not sure exactly why they chose him unless they are thinking next year may be Wagners last. They did get a player with good speed and is a tackling machine which was a low point last year.

He fits the BAMF profile and something the Hawks desperately need. I was hoping they would have taken Gay jr....but hey, this is prototypical Seahawks draft.

Latest posts