Hawks viewed Randy Moss as Percy replacement?

HawkWow

Reaction score
irocdave":3l5zwl7s said:
Weird to see the Tate love coming out now. Tate was a stud for this team but he was not perfect. I see some revisionist history here. Most posters on this site seemed happy he was gone, wonder how many posters in this thread were on that "Wilson makes everyone great, screw Tate" bandwagon this past offseason?

Tate is a solid #2 with a mini beastmode attitude. He isn't a legit #1 but was a great punt returner and refused to go down when he had the ball in his hands when receiving. Now he's on a team that has a top tier QB and a non comparable running game to the Hawks and there's a love fest for him. Several people on this forum mentioned this would happen and they were ridiculed because "Stafford sucked, he was Romo JR, he took way to many chances etc.) The debate turned in to how much better Wilson was than Stafford. For the posters that took this approach, I guess were seeing who is the better QB? LOL, I know these posters aren't going to own up to it so this was a waste of time to mention it.

I don't recall seeing this outward regret for Tate leaving in the offseason.

What is missing from this conversation is the rumor of Tate having sex with Wilsons wife. Yea, I said it. If those rumors have any truth to them there was no way in hell Tate was going to be on the 2014 squad. Have to say, who would blame Wilson for making sure he was not?

You cannot have this conversation without bringing up the rumors.

To the point of being ridiculed (but only in this forum) I lobbied hard for Tate over both Harvin (!) and Baldwin. Though all things considered ($) I was OK keeping Doug, if it had to be one or the other (which of course, it didn't).

Now we learn Pete was going after Moss (!?) Wow and WTH? One of the things that made us champs was an incredible bond between the players....so let's replace the carcinogenic Harvin with the guy that helped create the cancer in Harvin. Great strategy akin to "Stupidity got us into this mess, maybe stupidity can get us out".

Few players in recent league history have been more damaging to team chemistry than Harvin, Moss or Owens and Pete wanted them all?

In 2010, Randy "I play when I want to play" Moss aka "the greatest WR (diva) in history" was waived by the Vikes (waived), largely because of his bad influence on Harvin. Moss had only 1 (one) team interested in claiming him off the wire.

After 2011 Terrell "attention whore" Owens, proud divider of locker rooms from coast to coast! was forced into the Arena league, despite being a member of the NFL's all decade team, having over 150 TDs and 15,000 yds.

In 2014 Percy "ow my head hurts, I mean hip hurts" Harvin, "the most dangerous man in football" was only worthy a of a 6th rd (+/-) pick and it appears, like his mentor Moss, only 1 (one) team was interested in him or his baggage, despite being in great (physical) health and just 26 YO, low miles and in his prime.

Chemistry is not something to be taken lightly and the above illustrates how some teams get that, while others like us, apparently don't. If Pete's motivation is to fix the world, I'd prefer he do it outside of this team. Perhaps do some part time stuff with a suicide hotline or something.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkWow":3jvg8b0x said:
irocdave":3jvg8b0x said:
Weird to see the Tate love coming out now. Tate was a stud for this team but he was not perfect. I see some revisionist history here. Most posters on this site seemed happy he was gone, wonder how many posters in this thread were on that "Wilson makes everyone great, screw Tate" bandwagon this past offseason?

Tate is a solid #2 with a mini beastmode attitude. He isn't a legit #1 but was a great punt returner and refused to go down when he had the ball in his hands when receiving. Now he's on a team that has a top tier QB and a non comparable running game to the Hawks and there's a love fest for him. Several people on this forum mentioned this would happen and they were ridiculed because "Stafford sucked, he was Romo JR, he took way to many chances etc.) The debate turned in to how much better Wilson was than Stafford. For the posters that took this approach, I guess were seeing who is the better QB? LOL, I know these posters aren't going to own up to it so this was a waste of time to mention it.

What is missing from this conversation is the rumor of Tate having sex with Wilsons wife. Yea, I said it. If those rumors have any truth to them there was no way in hell Tate was going to be on the 2014 squad. Have to say, who would blame Wilson for making sure he was not?

To the point of being ridiculed (but only in this forum) I lobbied hard for Tate over both Harvin (!) and Baldwin. Though all things considered ($) I was OK keeping Doug, if it had to be one or the other (which of course, it didn't).

Now we learn Pete was going after Moss (!?) Wow and WTH? One of the things that made us champs was an incredible bond between the players....so let's replace the carcinogenic Harvin with the guy that helped create the cancer in Harvin. Great strategy akin to "Stupidity got us into this mess, maybe stupidity can get us out".

Few players in recent league history have been more damaging to team chemistry than Harvin, Moss or Owens and Pete wanted them all?

In 2010, Randy "I play when I want to play" Moss aka "the greatest WR (diva) in history" was waived by the Vikes (waived), largely because of his bad influence on Harvin. Moss had only 1 (one) team interested in claiming him off the wire.

After 2011 Terrell "attention whore" Owens, proud divider of locker rooms from coast to coast! was forced into the Arena league, despite being a member of the NFL's all decade team, having over 150 TDs and 15,000 yds.

In 2014 Percy "ow my head hurts, I mean hip hurts" Harvin, "the most dangerous man in football" was only worthy a of a 6th rd (+/-) pick and it appears, like his mentor Moss, only 1 (one) team was interested in him or his baggage, despite being in great (physical) health and just 26 YO, low miles and in his prime.

Chemistry is not something to be taken lightly and the above illustrates how some teams get that, while others like us, apparently don't. If Pete's motivation is to fix the world, I'd prefer he do it outside of this team. Perhaps do some part time stuff with a suicide hotline or something.

Yeah.. I really miss the Tim Ruskell days where all the players he brought in were just nice people.

They sucked at football, but who cares.. they were nice.

I want a coach and GM to take risks. Harvin was a risk. It didn't entirely work out. S--- happens.

You know who else was a "chemistry" risk? Marshawn Lynch. That seemed to work out ok. Per your logic though, we should have steered clear of him right?

brettb3

Reaction score
You don't think Pete understands team chemistry? Harvin would still be here if he didn't.

Exittium

Reaction score
SOooooo many tate nut huggers, Seriously move on, holy cow. How about Enjoy what we may have from our rookies? That are imo doing better then tate did his 1st two yrs here. And I see them doing WAAAY better then Tate. I like Richardson and Norwood.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
irocdave":1y4pkn8x said:

So... let me get this straight... A guy that is on pace for 1600 yards and 9TDs right now isn't a legit number 1? Will he have 1600? Probably not, but that still doesn't take away the fact that he's balling, most of this with an injured/hobbled Calvin Johnson who has missed some time. The Lions are only 12th in attempts this year as well.

EDIT: just read your post nevermind.

Kearly called it when he said Tate would dominate this year this offseason.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Happypuppy":3aq2166z said:
I thought when they let Tate walk it was a huge gamble. He is never hurt. Harvin was coming of a injury racked session and they already had issues with box behavior. Not John's best move

That's one of the things that makes the Percy Harvin trade the worst in Hawks history. If Harvin were not on our team in 2014, there's no way they would have let Tate walk, rumors or no rumors. Tate was the closest thing we had to a game breaking playmaker. Now we don't have anyone that even remotely fits that role and instead our WR corps consists of some very average, dime a dozen possession receivers like Baldwin and Kearse.

Atradees

Reaction score
The problem is the oline injuries.

Tate was fun and I miss him. But

Looking at Tates stats in Detroit, he catches about half his targets. Our offense needs Baldwin, Kearse and more steady receivers. There are only so many targets.

Like has been said I like Norwood and Richardson. They are coming out of the gate well.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
RiverDog":yenccong said:
Happypuppy":yenccong said:
I thought when they let Tate walk it was a huge gamble. He is never hurt. Harvin was coming of a injury racked session and they already had issues with box behavior. Not John's best move

That's one of the things that makes the Percy Harvin trade the worst in Hawks history. If Harvin were not on our team in 2014, there's no way they would have let Tate walk, rumors or no rumors. Tate was the closest thing we had to a game breaking playmaker. Now we don't have anyone that even remotely fits that role and instead our WR corps consists of some very average, dime a dozen possession receivers like Baldwin and Kearse.

The worst in Hawks history? C'mon, even the Branch trade was worse.

Rat

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2skpna69 said:
The worst in Hawks history? C'mon, even the Branch trade was worse.
We gave up less for Branch than Harvin while (likely) getting more back for Branch, although that last part depends on if he fulfills the condition. Harvin also took a bigger salary, while not being as productive as Branch. I'd say the Harvin deal was worse.

kearly

Reaction score
Harvin trade was clearly worse. Also, the Branch trade was not nearly as bad as people remember it being, especially since Seattle ended up flipping him for KJ Wright. Quite honestly, Deion Branch was the best thing Tim Ruskell ever did with a first round pick (!). Not trading for Branch would have been the mistake.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Branch cost Seattle a first rounder and though I liked him well enough, he didn't even have half the talent of Harvin for a first round price. 2000 yards and 14 TDS in 4 seasons for a 6 year 39 million dollar contract? I will look up the inflation later but that was costly.

Getting KJ was making lemonades from lemons.

Or we could talk about other awful trades which was my point. The trade for Harvin hurt. There were others just as a bad and worse.

King Dog

Reaction score
RiverDog":c41nuv35 said:
Happypuppy":c41nuv35 said:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't eh River? I can't recall how many times over the years on the PI forum I've seen you criticize Tate.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Harvin screwed our draft and our depth. Maybe we trade up to get Kelvin Benjamin (reminded me of Sidney Rice in his prime), maybe we keep Chris Clemons and or Clinton McDonald, maybe we sign a good FA receiver or pick up some other depth that gets us through. We're basically about 3-5 solid players down, in terms of team team depth, relative to last year.
Moss would give us a go-up-and-get-it target, but I just can't see that Moss would have anything in the tank this year.

A Moss-with-something-left-in-the-tank *would* give us a type of threat we currently don't have; too bad Sidney Rice couldn't get physically right and have us get another decent year out of him.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Looks like the 2007 salary cap was 109 million against 131 million for a 5 year 65 million. 5.9% a year (average) vs. 9.77 for Harvin.

However, it was also C. Patterson or S. Floyd versus the, to be fair, cheap shot B. Meriweather. I guess they were both busts but Harvin was worse. In this case. Still not the worst in Seahawks history.

RiverDog

Reaction score
King Dog":21xi3s3x said:
RiverDog":21xi3s3x said:
Happypuppy":21xi3s3x said:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't eh River? I can't recall how many times over the years on the PI forum I've seen you criticize Tate.

Oh, yea, the first two seasons, I was down on his case, at least as a receiver. He came into the league with a bit of an entitlement attitude, like he didn't have to work to get his opportunities. I had some reservations about his work ethic.

But he matured. The guy was a scrapper, not afraid to catch a ball traffic or block when asked to, pulled our arse out of a fire in a couple of games with his punt returns, of which he never fumbled. He's not a #1 receiver, but outside of Harvin, he was the only true playmaker we had on offense outside of the quarterback. My attitude about him changed.

I sure wish we had him back. Damn, that Harvin trade keeps kicking our butts.

A reminder to those that argue that the Branch trade was worse than the Harvin trade. Harvin was undeniably more expensive, a #1 vs. a #1, #3, #7, and losing the opportunity to resign at least one or two of our FA's. Harvin played in 8 games, and two of those games, the Saints game and the SB, he contributed ABSOULETLY NOTHING to us getting there, and before you mention his SB contribution, we were going to win that game with or without him or any other single player on our roster. Plus Branch was not a locker room cancer like Harvin was.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":10vtdoze said:
King Dog":10vtdoze said:
RiverDog":10vtdoze said:
Happypuppy":10vtdoze said:

Oh, yea, the first two seasons, I was down on his case, at least as a receiver. He came into the league with a bit of an entitlement attitude, like he didn't have to work to get his opportunities. I had some reservations about his work ethic.

But he matured. The guy was a scrapper, not afraid to catch a ball traffic or block when asked to, pulled our arse out of a fire in a couple of games with his punt returns, of which he never fumbled. He's not a #1 receiver, but outside of Harvin, he was the only true playmaker we had on offense outside of the quarterback. My attitude about him changed.

I sure wish we had him back. Damn, that Harvin trade keeps kicking our butts.

A reminder to those that argue that the Branch trade was worse than the Harvin trade. Harvin was undeniably more expensive, a #1 vs. a #1, #3, #7, and losing the opportunity to resign at least one or two of our FA's. Harvin played in 8 games, and two of those games, the Saints game and the SB, he contributed ABSOULETLY NOTHING to us getting there, and before you mention his SB contribution, we were going to win that game with or without him or any other single player on our roster. Branch played 5 seasons, plus he wasn't a locker room cancer like Harvin was.

Latest posts