Hawkscanner's Post-Game Thoughts-Hawks-Chiefs Wk3 (OFFENSE)

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
JD Mckissic....Devonte Freeman/Danny Woodhead/Darren Sproles type of matchup problems for opponents.....

I don't even want Carson suited up on that excuse of a field in Oakland.....

I love Kearse for the memories, but Darboh and McEvoy are not better than Kearse, although I can argue McEvoy over Kearse for salary cap purposes after this season.........David Moore is practice Squad material.....Kasen Williams and Kearse for chemistry purposes should make the roster.....

Seattle ran nothing exposing Rees to individual pass protection and Justin Houston didn't suit up.....

Lacy is a 3rd RB by mid season and inactive if CJ Prosise wasn't made of glass or aluminum foil....

The biggest red flag is DT and lack of push inside and lack of run stoppage by the DT's.....we need an upgrade badly, which McDowell's injury will eventually show up IF we don't trade for Richardson from the Jets....

Jville

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":yxmu5cbx said:
Jville":yxmu5cbx said:
His rushing average ............ has climbed from 2.7 yards to 4.5 yards and then to 5.8 yards in wk 3...
I take it you like stats, and I do get what you're on about, and it's fun to see numbers increase every week like that, and I even agree that Carson looks very good, and is likely taking the roster spot away from Collins.

But YPC on a handful of carries? Mate, stats only count with sufficient sample size. Your standard deviation on these stats is larger than the numbers themselves. That's not even counting the situational aspect - you don't look at a guy who punched it in from the 1 twice (and looked good doing it) and point out a 2.7 YPC.

I guess my point is while the numbers are fun to look at, Carson isn't getting appreciably better in the pre-season so much as he's been consistently good, even though the numbers don't tell that story.

Sample size does affect confidence. Never the less, I like the trending direction of all of the addressed aspects of Carson's play to date. :229031_shrug: Carson looks like he fits in with this year's emerging offense. Perhaps they should rest him during the 4th preseason to assure that he is 100% for Green Bay.

We are gonna see an offense that, at times, can dictate to an opponent.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Real good analysis OP. Thanks for your thoughts.

I personally really want to keep McKissic somehow. I like that they were able to use him in so many different areas but the biggest thing for me is he looks competent returning kicks/punts. I'm not sure Lockett will be ready to return punts right away and I don't really want him doing it full time this year anyways if possible to try to keep him fresh and healthy all year playing wr... I would like to see them use Lockett only on certain occasions as a weapon for longer punts but have someone else for the rest.

As for backing up Prosise Carson has shown enough to play that role for me.

With that said I just don't know where you can keep McKissic. Do you keep him as a 5th RB and carry only 5 WRs? Or do you think he's valuable enough to drop one of Rawls, Lacy, Prosise, or Carson for? There's definitely going to be some tough cuts this year...

RichNhansom

Reaction score
bigskydoc":27ukd4t9 said:
I think you are pretty spot on with Boykin. That was, by far, the worst outing of his career. I don't buy Carroll's comments about receivers not being on the same page. You don't miss that big, that many times, just because the receivers are running different routes.

Part of being a QB is recognizing when a receiver isn't running the right route, and looking for another option. Boykin seems to be doing his best Captain One Read impression, or maybe a no-read impression. He's going to throw it to the spot, whether the receiver has a chance of getting there or not.

Like most pre-season QBs trying to make an impression, he is trying way too hard for the splash, big deep play. He should have approached this game with the same sentiment that he should be approaching regular season games that are well in hand. Just go out, move the chains a couple of times, and give the defense a breather.

TBH I have been pretty impressed with Davis this pre-season. He is doing what you want out of a backup. Nothing flashy, just steady. Protect the ball. Move the chains. Don't lose a game that is already in hand.

I can't imagine we keep two backup QB's. With Davis here, I would probably give him the nod and cut Boykin. I just don't see the kind of progression that would make Boykin worth keeping around.

Agree with all your points. Unless your simply a one read QB you can't miss that bad repeatedly and not being on the same page is not an excuse.

I was pulling for him but for me this game cemented Boykin's departure. Had his best showing and from all appearances rested on his laurels. Maybe he celebrated to much (which is a red flag for him) or maybe he just thought he wrapped up the backup spot so he didn't have to work.

Combined with other issues, he appears to be to immature to rely on.

On the other hand I was impressed with Davis. Not because he was stellar but because he looked the part of a back up QB. Someone who won't be a superstar but can give you a chance to win. Equally important he won't discourage the rest of the team. A ton of talent can get overshadowed by a team that doesn't feel they can trust you.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
You make a good point that McKissic is probably interviewing to back up both Tyler Lockett AND C.J. Prosise. Strengthens the argument for seeing him on the roster in Week 1.

chris98251

Reaction score
McKissic value is he may not be dominant at anything but can do everything, he will be able to contribute every game in some capacity. having him and C.J. available can also really screw with a DC and create a lot of receivers on the field in a hurry. Better to have a jack of all trades that is viable for the season on the team rather then having to go out and search for a two game replacement anywhere or risk a player not ready yet like Rawls last year. Lockett is a great returner, but they may protect him for a while still, full speed running and taking shots at his legs which a lot of returners have happen when going full speed may be something they want to avoid for awhile. The fact that McKissic can field kicks period is a bonus, he has potential to break one or get good yards still, just not a fear in the hearts type of guy.

We were willing to have a roster spot exclusively for Lockett as a KR, he has become a WR more now, whats not to say we use that slot for McKissic still.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Jville":fwwsa4oq said:
Sample size does affect confidence. Never the less, I like the trending direction of all of the addressed aspects of Carson's play to date. :229031_shrug: Carson looks like he fits in with this year's emerging offense. Perhaps they should rest him during the 4th preseason to assure that he is 100% for Green Bay.

You see an improving trend, I see consistency that's been good from day 1 - we'll agree to disagree as long as we agree that he looks good.

As for the emerging offense, one thing I like to see is the constant deep balls that are going to force safeties to play off so they can't stack the box, which in turn makes them more vulnerable to a back who can reach the 2nd level.

Josea16

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":39en7nqt said:
Jville":39en7nqt said:

You see an improving trend, I see consistency that's been good from day 1 - we'll agree to disagree as long as we agree that he looks good.

As for the emerging offense, one thing I like to see is the constant deep balls that are going to force safeties to play off so they can't stack the box, which in turn makes them more vulnerable to a back who can reach the 2nd level.
Got to run the ball for 125-150 yards a game for that to happen in actual games not just preseason games. I'm not sold on Carson yet but I am sold that Wilson has taken that next step. The tempo that this offense is running at is like Green Bay, Pittsburgh and New England. Basically an offense run by a top 5ish quarterback that now understands the line calls and when and what to audible.

Josea16

Reaction score
chris98251":27rsrq9h said:
McKissic value is he may not be dominant at anything but can do everything, he will be able to contribute every game in some capacity. having him and C.J. available can also really screw with a DC and create a lot of receivers on the field in a hurry. Better to have a jack of all trades that is viable for the season on the team rather then having to go out and search for a two game replacement anywhere or risk a player not ready yet like Rawls last year. Lockett is a great returner, but they may protect him for a while still, full speed running and taking shots at his legs which a lot of returners have happen when going full speed may be something they want to avoid for awhile. The fact that McKissic can field kicks period is a bonus, he has potential to break one or get good yards still, just not a fear in the hearts type of guy.

We were willing to have a roster spot exclusively for Lockett as a KR, he has become a WR more now, whats not to say we use that slot for McKissic still.
Mckissic is the type of player that may allow them to carry 1-2 less OL and 1-2 more skill position guys. He makes a guy like Procic even more valuable if they go that way.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Sorry, but I'm not satisfied with us kicking so many fg's.

Are they really going to be better in the redzone or was that filler material.

Unimpressed.

Offense: C

andyh64000

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1kf1tdjw said:
Smellyman":1kf1tdjw said:
Kearse with a spectacular leaping grab?

It was a dime by RW with a defender in Kearse's pocket.

[youtube]_l7PF_gpxyU[/youtube]

Good write up though

*Sigh* ... I think I meant to say spectacular contested catch. Oh well. LOL! Thanks for being my editor in chief on that --
It's been corrected. You're right though, it wasn't just a dime by Russell ... I'd say he got at least .05 back on that one. PERFECTLY thrown pass and execution. That's a much tougher catch than it may look like on the surface to some people.

It was a better throw than a catch.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I wrote this on McKissic back on May 31st.

JD McKissic.

The more I read up on him, the more I am impressed with his potential.

He was a WR to RB convert for Atlanta and came into the league with a niche of being a dangerous returner.

He also had a pretty good Pre-Season last year. I really like this dude and he's probably the only RB in hand that can do the things Prosise can

In this thread: http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137168

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
LolaRox":3r2hpov3 said:
Here is the press conference where Pete talks about Mckissic and references him being like Prosise.

Starts around 5:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afXNuXVKc4k

Thanks for that LolaRox -- you most certainly do rock because you were certainly on the money with that. The way I'm describing him is EXACTLY how Pete Carroll sees him. Good call.

Pandion Haliaetus":3r2hpov3 said:
I wrote this on McKissic back on May 31st.

JD McKissic.

The more I read up on him, the more I am impressed with his potential.

He was a WR to RB convert for Atlanta and came into the league with a niche of being a dangerous returner.

He also had a pretty good Pre-Season last year. I really like this dude and he's probably the only RB in hand that can do the things Prosise can

In this thread: http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137168

And I have to give you your props as well Pandion Haliaetus. I have to admit that McKissic is a guy I've been overlooking. I hadn't known a whole lot about him until recently.

You know, that he ended up finishing up his career with 289 receptions (#1 All Time in the Sun Belt).

As a return man, he was one of the Sun Belt's top kickoff returners. As a Senior at Arkansas State, he led the Sun Belt with a 26.5 kickoff average. As a Junior he was even better, as his 30.0 average was 3rd overall in the nation. He returned punts as a Junior as well, ranking 4th in Punt Return Average.

As a kickoff return guy, he's shown he has the potential to be pretty explosive. He was with the Falcons last season (he was an UDFA last year and spent most of 2016 on their Practice Squad). This is what happened Week 1 of the Preseason last year -- the very first time he touched the ball ...

[youtube]335MWDVAD4I[/youtube]

I don't know that I'd say I love this guy -- call me more officially intrigued by his potential. I DO believe he's the leader in the clubhouse for that 6th and final WR spot because I honestly believe the coaching staff values him due to his versatility.

Seafan

Reaction score
Carson and McKissic are playmakers and Pete Carroll loves playmakers. They are healthy versions of Rawls and Prosise. You can never have too many playmakers.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Josea16":o1njmouk said:
Got to run the ball for 125-150 yards a game for that to happen in actual games not just preseason games. I'm not sold on Carson yet but I am sold that Wilson has taken that next step. The tempo that this offense is running at is like Green Bay, Pittsburgh and New England. Basically an offense run by a top 5ish quarterback that now understands the line calls and when and what to audible.
Oh please.

Carson does it against third-teamers: "Until he does it against better competition I'm not going to get behind him"
Carson does it against 2nd-teamers: "Until he does it against first-team, I'm not impressed"
Carson does it against 1st-teamers "Got to run the ball for 125-150 yards a game..."

Jim Brown: 104 YPG
Barry Sanders: 99 YPG
Terrell Davis: 97 YPG
Adrian Peterson: 95 YPG

But until Carson averages 125+, you're not sold.

Give me a freaking break.

Let's wait til there ARE real games before holding it against him that he hasn't done anything in a real game. And even then, let's not put his bar at 150% of the best running back to play the game ever as a minimum standard for being sold on him.

Ridiculous.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1kczv7s3 said:
Josea16":1kczv7s3 said:
Oh please.

Carson does it against third-teamers: "Until he does it against better competition I'm not going to get behind him"
Carson does it against 2nd-teamers: "Until he does it against first-team, I'm not impressed"
Carson does it against 1st-teamers "Got to run the ball for 125-150 yards a game..."

Let's wait til there ARE real games before holding it against him that he hasn't done anything in a real game. And even then, let's not put his bar at 150% of the best running back to play the game ever as a minimum standard for being sold on him.

Ridiculous.

I think he was referring to the team rushing for 25-150 yards per game.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2fdbj7kc said:
KiwiHawk":2fdbj7kc said:
Josea16":2fdbj7kc said:
Oh please.

Ridiculous.

I think he was referring to the team rushing for 25-150 yards per game.

Then they should be more clear.

Josea16

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":37po7vvl said:
Josea16":37po7vvl said:
Oh please.

Ridiculous.
Correct until I see him do this when it counts I am not sold regardless of your feelings. To be very clear I mean the entire team averaging 125-150 yards per game rushing. Not one single player, nobody can do that obviously.