Here is insight on why Schnieder paid so much for Adams.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
When he's dominating on the field and making the entire D better, will all these people whining about the trade be cheering? Yes, they will.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
poly1274":331pcfg2 said:
niveky":331pcfg2 said:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/sea/seattle-seahawks

scroll down, it's the 2nd or 3rd section of information. He states that he gave up what they would have had to give up in draft capital on draft day to move up for the type of talent they would be hoping for with Adams basically since they are always in the high 20's on first round picks.

That's one of the worst things I've ever seen. Because Seattle is in the high 20s on first round picks?

They released their Starting C ( Britt) for Cap space. and what happens if RW gets injured in one of the plays. Our NFC West rivals all have good pass rushers, and to spend a minimal amount of money to protect the Franchise QB?

Smh.

Bj finney has started 13 games, and played in 59. He has given up 3 sacks and 3 penalties in his career. He is a better pass blocker than Britt.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
niveky":358ph0ya said:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/sea/seattle-seahawks

scroll down, it's the 2nd or 3rd section of information. He states that he gave up what they would have had to give up in draft capital on draft day to move up for the type of talent they would be hoping for with Adams basically since they are always in the high 20's on first round picks.

So the insight here is that they are burnt out on getting burned by the early picks they've been making, and therefore trust to trading their picks for proven talent.
Their draft value assessment seems to be that they would need to pool their draft picks in order to pick high enough to get a player that qualifies as a top talent.
Seems to me that instead of picking 7-10 guys from the lower reaches of draft talent available they should pool those later picks, along with their lower picks in first round in order to trade up to a first round position to get one with the talent they covet.

Rat

Reaction score
xray":no3npdgl said:
Giving up two 1sts and a 3rd seems steep , while noticing the Jets went 7-9 last season with Adams .

7-9 for a Gase-led Jets team is really good.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
nwHawk":1wxu0ko4 said:
poly1274":1wxu0ko4 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":1wxu0ko4 said:
poly1274":1wxu0ko4 said:
That's one of the worst things I've ever seen. Because Seattle is in the high 20s on first round picks?

They released their Starting C ( Britt) for Cap space. and what happens if RW gets injured in one of the plays. Our NFC West rivals all have good pass rushers, and to spend a minimal amount of money to protect the Franchise QB?

Smh.
You speak as if Britt had no flaws and was All-Pro.

Britt was never consistent and Russ was sacked a bunch of times when Britt was the center.

Britt cost a lot of money and was not worth the money.

I don’t think I have ever seen you post anything positive about the team.

You must be a closet Seahawks hater.

Ok so you think B J Finney or Joey Hunt will be better than what Britt did. Finney is so unproven and was never a starter that played the whole season.

And Yes Britt is better than Hunt.

It cost money to get good players, and Britt wasn't the best but he held his own.

Well, based on that logic should we have kept Ifedi too?

No, and you know why.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
xray":10thai5v said:
Giving up two 1sts and a 3rd seems steep , while noticing the Jets went 7-9 last season with Adams .
The Jets are horrible though. They are the Seattle Mariners of football.
I agree the price is steep, but if you look at where the 2 first round picks will likely be, late 20’s/30’s plus how JS is usually not good picking in the first round it doesn’t seem as bad of price.

Or maybe that’s just me being a homer?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Bobblehead":tmbejfjz said:
They gave up a Collier and a Penny.

The best analysis yet!

I'll detail it out a small bit... Using the last two first-round Seahawks draft picks, Penny and Collier. Projecting forward through the next 2 seasons, using the actual value the Hawks received from those two first-round picks. (I'm going to ignore the 3rd rounder/4th rounder swap and McDougald part of the trade) The bet, the gamble, is that Adams is healthy and performing at his usual level for 1 underpaid season plus 1 extension season, we'll say, 14 healthy games each season, 2 games out each season nicked up or family-related absence.

VALUE TRADED IF WE HAD TRADED AWAY 2018-2019 1ST ROUNDERS
Collier in year 1 = ZERO
Collier in year 2 = Wildly optimistic projection => 6 great games at an ALL-PRO level.
Penny in year 1 = Just above ZERO
Penny in year 2 = 4 Games of above-average RB play, 2 games ALL-PRO level
TOTAL VALUE TRADED: 8 Player-Games of ALL-PRO level play.

2020-2021 PROJECTED VALUE RECEIVED
Adams, year 1 = ALL-PRO Strong Safety, 14 games
Adams, year 2 = ALL-PRO Strong Safety, 14 games
TOTAL VALUE RECEIVED: 28 Player-Games of ALL-PRO level play.

So, Pete and John traded 8 Player-Games of ALL-PRO level play, and got 28 Player-Games of ALL-PRO level play in Adams.

Gave up 8 chips, received 28 in return, sounds like a good trade!

Yes, I know, actual mileage may vary, objects in mirror may get injured, prospectus contains forward-looking statements, and one of the two traded 1st rounders could be the next Bobby Wagner or next Dan Marino.

Teahawks

Reaction score
The next year's draft is really gonna be a crapshoot with Covid. Plus if we win the SB we would be selecting 32nd ;)

mikeak

Reaction score
I love the FO, but this narrative is so dumb that I have to believe they read it online and didn't think any further before repeating it

Going up in the draft is done to get a guy for four to five years. The player can't even get a new deal for three years. You pay minimum salary for at least THREE YEARS. That has tremendous value especially in unprecedented times when the cap faces a real risk of going down.

We got one (assuming the season doesn't get cancelled) year before Adams will sit out for a new deal. Sure we get an extension done we get more years, but who knows if that will happen.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
mikeak":27llhm2j said:
I love the FO, but this narrative is so dumb that I have to believe they read it online and didn't think any further before repeating it

Going up in the draft is done to get a guy for four to five years. The player can't even get a new deal for three years. You pay minimum salary for at least THREE YEARS. That has tremendous value especially in unprecedented times when the cap faces a real risk of going down.

We got one (assuming the season doesn't get cancelled) year before Adams will sit out for a new deal. Sure we get an extension done we get more years, but who knows if that will happen.

The "who knows" part also applies to whether a drafted player--even one taken in the top of the 1st round--has the ability to shine in the NFL. It's still a gamble. In this case, just getting Adams on the team where the FO has the ability to make an extension offer after a year of quality play is worth something.