Hollister at fullback?

springscohawk

Reaction score
Interesting idea in article over at Sports Illustrated written by Aryanna Prasad. Really like idea of Jacob Hollister as H-Back, modern TE on our roster.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/

Basically she suggests TE Jacob Hollister could be effective as a full back as blocker and pass catcher out of back field in H-back type role. She used FB/RB Leonard Weaver as a example of this type of fullback..

I really like this idea of using Hollister as FB rather than keeping Nick Bellore. Perhaps this would allow us to keep both Travis Homer and Deejay Dallas

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Hollister would be way more versatile than Bellore if he could actually play FB effectively.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
A FB needs 3 things to be effective. POWER. speed, and good hands. Hollister has shown enough speed to get open downfield, so that's a plus. He's made some tough catches, do that's a plus. But he was stopped 2" short of the goal line by a hit in the back from a smaller DB, and went down, so POWER...not so much. Maybe if he put on 30 lbs...

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Thought is good but Hollister’s strength isn’t blocking. He is a great receiver so on 3rd downs it could work him as a pass catching fb. Luke Willson could be the h-back type. Luke can block.

FPD

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3do45czc said:
Thought is good but Hollister’s strength isn’t blocking. He is a great receiver so on 3rd downs it could work him as a pass catching fb. Luke Willson could be the h-back type. Luke can block.

I totally agree with your points about Hollister and Willson. Now, Willson in the FB role...that would be interesting! I'm not sure if he has all the parts though (at FB). At least you know he'd fight for every inch of turf though.

Jville

Reaction score
I don't recall the Seahawks using the I formation all that much. In recent years, Seahawk fullback snaps in the offense totaled well below the NFL league average. Nick Bellore was valued in 2019 primarily for his special teams work and leadership on special teams. So if special teams goes in another direction for special teams leadership, Nick's roster spot would be in doubt.

In specific short yardage situations they can and have deployed a variety of position players at that traditional full back position in an I formation ...... a tight end, defensive tackle, a big running back ........ or whoever they think provides a mismatch. For most snaps, there are other formations that work much better for the collection of versatile talent they like to go with. I don't see that changing for 2020.

Interesting article never-the-less. Thanks for posting ........... [urltargetblank]https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/ever-evolving-fullbacks-remain-important-to-nfl-offenses[/urltargetblank]

Fade

Reaction score
H-Back and fullback are two different positions, though.

You might as well just say roll more with 2 TE sets.

Hollister is a slow WR, who bulked up and moved to TE. He is not a FB.

They need a sledgehammer at FB. A Mack Strong type for Pete's system.

But at the same time RW is like the Barry Sanders of QBs. He don't need a FB, he needs space to operate. Spread the field and go up tempo that is what is best for #3 and the Seahawks.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Appyhawk":t0b4by7f said:
A FB needs 3 things to be effective. POWER. speed, and good hands. Hollister has shown enough speed to get open downfield, so that's a plus. He's made some tough catches, do that's a plus. But he was stopped 2" short of the goal line by a hit in the back from a smaller DB, and went down, so POWER...not so much. Maybe if he put on 30 lbs...

I am pretty sure he was stuffed by a LB and not a DB.

Edit'

Yes he was stuffed by Dre Greenlaw who is a LB at 230lbs compared to Jacobs 245lbs. So hollister was bigger but not so much like a DB.

The average DB size is 193.4lbs

Jville

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2hwwwvuk said:
On the topic of FBs, anyone remember big J Williams? Man I loved that guy. He was a REAL FB.
We've had some good ones. How bout Doc Dornink back in the early days?

I remember big John L Williams ..... how could I forget? That was back in the day of a serious run first offense. John L started 114 games out of the 130 games he appeared in during his 8 years with the Seahawks. Known as a well balanced FB who thrived as a blocker and a runner and a receiver. Operated out of a two back offense unlike today's preferred 11 personnel looks. A totally different offense from what we have seen in recent years.

My memory of Doctor Dan is as more of a possession receiver in a pass oriented offense.

There is nobody on the current roster like John L. It's a different offense with different personnel.

Fade

Reaction score
Jville":1zkeylcl said:
Appyhawk":1zkeylcl said:
On the topic of FBs, anyone remember big J Williams? Man I loved that guy. He was a REAL FB.

I remember big John L Williams ..... how could I forget? That was back in the day of a serious run first offense. John L started 114 games out of the 130 games he appeared in during his 8 years with the Seahawks. Known as a well balanced FB who thrived as a blocker and a runner and a receiver. Operated out of a two back offense unlike today's preferred 11 personnel looks. A totally different offense from what we have seen in recent years.

My memory of Doctor Dan is as more of a possession receiver in a pass oriented offense.

There is nobody on the current roster like John L. It's a different offense with different personnel.

John L. is one of the greatest FBs of all-time. He could do it all. He should be in the HoF, but he played on really bad teams pre-internet, so he could never get the national recognition needed.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":11vyfek0 said:
Jville":11vyfek0 said:
Appyhawk":11vyfek0 said:

John L. is one of the greatest FBs of all-time. He could do it all. He should be in the HoF, but he played on really bad teams pre-internet, so he could never get the national recognition needed.
Agree. The man was a beast and a multitalented weapon.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
This whole discussion got me to thinking about our team history and how the game as a whole has changed over the years.
I have decided our team MVP has to be Paul Allen. When he rescued us from being shipped off to California...I think that was the moment in time that propelled this team to what we are today.
As for Hollister, I really like him as a member of our team and I wouldn't object to anyone trying to add to their versatility and ability to help the team in other ways. I don't recall if he is on SP or not but he might be a really good prospect for that if he can't break into the TE rotation.

getnasty

Reaction score
When i think about a TE and a FB i think Dissley would fit the mold more so then Hollister. Personally i would rather keep anyone other the Bellfore. Seems like a huge waste of a roster spot to only play 3 snaps a game. Show Poona Ford how to block on the goal line.

Latest posts