Holmgren revisited.

chris98251

Reaction score
We played like a finesse team today, where was the set the tone attitude on offense, smash mouth football, the control of the line of scrimmage and forcing our will with the run game. Seen so many shot gun and pass plays that it seemed like the Colts all but ignored our run game.

On defense the bend but don't break defense we were famous for during the Holmgren era, we didn't smack anyone in the mouth today, we were more buddy buddy then intimidators, where was the attitude?

Our emotional level was flat all game, I am not gonna say the penalties took that away becasue we have player more fierce with penalties before.

Someone said we played on reputation today, I don't know about that but it seemed more like a bunch of guys on Sunday from work playing a game at the park.

Just noticed our demeaner was noticably different all game.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
We ran for over 200 yards. We lined up in shotgun and ran the zone read out of it over and over again.

FYI

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Rushing wasn't the problem. We ran all over them. We had two 100 yard rushers. It's like people are inventing things to be upset about now.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3vpadx6d said:
Rushing wasn't the problem. We ran all over them. We had two 100 yard rushers. It's like people are inventing things to be upset about now.

They talk about them with such conviction....amazing tbh

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":17sstb47 said:
DavidSeven":17sstb47 said:

And yet they were 2/12 on third dowd...

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
FidelisHawk":1s6rkuoz said:
T-Sizzle":1s6rkuoz said:
DavidSeven":1s6rkuoz said:

How does that relate to this thread? That's like me going into the Rice sucks thread and talking about a blocked punt.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2pwdwph1 said:
FidelisHawk":2pwdwph1 said:
T-Sizzle":2pwdwph1 said:
DavidSeven":2pwdwph1 said:

How does that relate to this thread? That's like me going into the Rice sucks thread and talking about a blocked punt.

:thirishdrinkers: haha hey on this site maybe that's expected!

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Sorry I just thought if we “ran all over them” we would have garnered a few more successful third downs than two…

Apeman00

Reaction score
I felt it. We got the lead and kinda seemed like they didn't have any pressure. We didn't need to make any huge half time adjustments and the game plan stayed the same. It just seems when they got in at half time, more times than not they come out with a chip on their shoulders. Didn't really see that today.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
FidelisHawk":umlccnhx said:
Sorry I just thought if we “ran all over them” we would have garnered a few more successful third downs than two…

I guess if we would have had a lot of 3rd and 1's.....

a good number of 3rd down attempts in the NFL are pass plays

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":zby1u3r6 said:
We ran for over 200 yards. We lined up in shotgun and ran the zone read out of it over and over again.

FYI

Discount Wilsons 100 yds, those were break out runs not designed, most of Lynchs yards were outside the tackles, thats not dictating the line of scrimmage. It's not setting the tone, and it's not initiating a physical presence. Stats don't always show the demeanor of a win, or a loss.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":210d9evg said:
T-Sizzle":210d9evg said:

FYI

Discount Wilsons 100 yds, those were break out runs not designed, most of Lynchs yards were outside the tackles, thats not dictating the line of scrimmage. It's not setting the tone, and it's not initiating a physical presence. Stats don't always show the demeanor of a win, or a loss.

I agree, in this game five of the third down attempts were field goals (one of which was blocked for a TD). Of these two were kicked on 4th and 3 and one on 4th and 4.

Three more were fourth down attempts, one was 4th and 3 that they converted and led to their second TD. The other two were either the end of the half or the end of the game and ended with turnovers.

Of the two punts one was 3rd and 10; 9 yd pass ending with 4th and 1.
The other was 3rd and 2; Russell runs for no gain and ends with 4th and 2.

So my point was simply, if the running game was as effective as some posters contended they would have,
A) Converted more than 2/12 third down attempts or
B) Felt confident enough to run on at least one of the fourth and shorts.

All though in hindsight, the second field goal attempt when they threw an incomplete pass on 3rd and 3 would have been an excellent time to run the ball on third down or fourth down or both…

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
chris98251":1hsf3p5t said:
T-Sizzle":1hsf3p5t said:

FYI

With the way the DE's we rushing up the field it was exactly what should have been done.

Hawk n Load

Reaction score
In the second half, I did notice a lot of second-down pass calls. So in contrast to last year, where Bevell called run-run-pass (and then punt, early in the year), it was run-pass-pass (punt, if RW doesn't scramble). I do wonder if a few more smashmouth runs would have helped make the third downs more manageable.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1dgmbrcz said:
chris98251":1dgmbrcz said:
T-Sizzle":1dgmbrcz said:

FYI

With the way the DE's we rushing up the field it was exactly what should have been done.

So you agree we were intimidated and scared to run up the middle, no traps, no power runs, no counters.

Exactly what I was saying, we player finesse offense, with DE's coming hard outside you should be able to do quick hitters inside and have tackles getting to the second level to block letting the DE's blow by till they learn not to.