Honestly, have you ever seen a team so inept at

Chawks1

Reaction score
I believe this must be a priority in the draft this year.....if we can find 1 guy to replace Richardson and Walters we can clear another roster spot on game day.

Excellent WR draft candidates that can PR/KR would be:

Ty Montgomery Stanford
Jamison Crowder Duke
Tyler Locket Kansas state
Philip Dorsett Miami

These guys should be around 2nd - 4th round.

idahawks

Reaction score
Walters didn't do anything spectacular but he didn't do anything thing dumb either. 0 fumbles and he never ran backwards for a loss either. He's sure handed and smart. He's no golden tate but he didn't hurt us either.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
idahawks":55qusmsz said:
Walters didn't do anything spectacular but he didn't do anything thing dumb either. 0 fumbles and he never ran backwards for a loss either. He's sure handed and smart. He's no golden tate but he didn't hurt us either.

Not good enough.

Dynamic KO and PR'ers can..........and do win games, not to mention greatly help with field position.

Bottom line for me, if Walters is our PR again I'm going to be greatly disappointed. This team is too good to have mediocre kick off and punt returners.

MrThortan

Reaction score
PR and KR needs to be addressed this off season for sure. Walters at least had good hands. I was nervous every time the ball was kicked to us, "hold on to the ball, hold on to the ball". Felt a little better towards the end of the season when it went to Walters. I think it is ridiculous to think that if we go into next season with the same return team it will cost us the division and a chance at the super bowl. We did ok with what we had this year.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
idahawks":1o23xugo said:

The problem with Walters is that he can only get what is given to him. He has literally zero ability to create yards. If he can run forward 3 yards before getting tackled then he will get those 3 yards.

The Hawks need someone who is better than Walters as both a WR and returner. He is a wasted roster spot as a WR, and a mediocre returner.

For a team that "expects" to make it to the Super Bowl you just can't continue entering the season with such a weak return game. Field position makes a big difference for a team that tends to go down the field in small chunks at a time.

Jville

Reaction score
Must be a really slow news day .... so I get filling dead air. But ...... all of you who continue to insist on complaining about punt and/or kick returners are deaf .... deaf .... deaf.

jblaze

Reaction score
We'll likely draft 2 WR's again. One in round 1 and one in round 5-6 of the PR/KR variety.

Another year of experience for guys like Matthews, KPL, Shead and the like and we should be respectable again next year.

It was painful to watch but they'll turn it around. Special teams was a big part of our success in 2013 and Pete preaches competing in all three phases so I'm confident he'll address is sufficiently.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
this post completely disregards the fact that we went into the season with likely at the time the best KR in the game (harvin)

olyfan63

Reaction score
idahawks":1ykzfvh2 said:

seahawks3732":1ykzfvh2 said:
JonRud":1ykzfvh2 said:
well KR is not as big a deal since about 90% of kickoff are touchbacks anyway.

PR I completely agree we need to find someone who can make an impact. Fair Catch Walters has to go. Anyone seen Charlie Rogers lately?
Give Walters some credit.. Remember having ET back there early on, had to hold our breath every return. At least Bryan never made a stupid decision

These two. ^^^

At least we knew Walters would catch the ball, and anything that happened would be forward, and I don't recall him ever fumbling.

It seemed like our punt return blocking was extremely poor, probably due to injuries and lack of continuity on the punt return team. Our kickoff returns were very poor as well, on the ones that Doug "15" Baldwin handled. "15" meaning 15 yard return, and short of the 15 yard line.

Pete and John will put major effort this offseason into upgrading the return game and special teams play overall. They went from a game-changing strength to an area that cost us a couple wins this year, Rams away game in particular. They almost won us the Dallas game, but no go.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2fk1efps said:
this post completely disregards the fact that we went into the season with likely at the time the best KR in the game (harvin)
According to who? People who don't watch football? Harvin was poor/mediocre this year, so I dont know how that makes him one of the best. Like every other area of his game he was extremely overrated.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Marlin Man":ukw5p46t said:
Punt and KO returns? Seriously, If Pete can't get a guy (or two) to take care of that we can pretty much forget our third SB apperance in a row, hell can probably forget our winning the Division.

absolutely the worst team in our Division at this, every since we lost Tate and Washington.

M.M.

Yes.. see the 1998 Seattle Seahawks.. Ronnie Harris still gives me nightmares

ceej22

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this guy is trolling. Why post something so sensational and not respond to all the criticism?

Chawks1

Reaction score
sc85sis":2fin4wx5 said:
We were 14th in KO return avg. yards at 24.1 and 3rd in punt return avg. yardage at 11.5.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/ ... on/defense

So yes, we have seen far worse.

Actually I believe those are our defensive stats (also unimpressive). Looks like we were 25th in punt return yards avg 7yds per return and 30th in kickoff returns avg 21 yds per return. Again, this is a a key need for us to address in the draft this year in the 3rd to 5th round.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/ ... KickReturn

CEHawk

Reaction score
Chawks1":2mnbetq1 said:
sc85sis":2mnbetq1 said:
We were 14th in KO return avg. yards at 24.1 and 3rd in punt return avg. yardage at 11.5.

Actually I believe those are our defensive stats (also unimpressive). Looks like we were 25th in punt return yards avg 7yds per return and 30th in kickoff returns avg 21 yds per return. Again, this is a a key need for us to address in the draft this year in the 3rd to 5th round.

Yes, those were defensive. We were 25th on Kickoff returns and 30th on Punt returns, pretty bad. But in terms of averages you are talking about 6.3-7.3 yard average per return difference between the best and the Seahawks. I think the more important stat here is turnovers. Especially in the Green Bay game. :mrgreen:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marlin Man":3dk8257n said:
Honestly, have you ever seen a team so inept at Punt and KO returns?

Yeah, absolutely. Last year the Packers and Cardinals were both worse at kick off returns and Packers finished at 12-4 (just like the Hawks) and the Cards finished at 11-5.

There were also seven teams worse than the Hawks last year on punt returns, including the Colts.

Just last year there were a lot of teams worse than the Hawks, before we even get into the black swan of Percy Harvin getting cut and causing them to perform poorly in these areas.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Chawks1":2fxutx4u said:
sc85sis":2fxutx4u said:

Yep. I stand corrected. And it isn't that I disagree with needing an upgrade--just not big on the hyperbolic language.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Chawks1":2srimsh5 said:
sc85sis":2srimsh5 said:

The Super Bowl champs had 1 yard more per KO return and 3 yards more per punt return. If we run the ball at the 1, this stat isn't brought up.

Its not a need. It'd be a nice thing to have.. but not a "need"