How can people say the Hawks didn't address their needs?

Rainger

Reaction score
They added a CB, WR, 2 RB, Edge, Guard, Center, D tackle, D End, and safety. Every position of need. The only complaints that can be made by people is it was not the right person at the right spot. BUT omg that is so subjective. Trust in the team!

Round 1, No. 5: Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois

Round 1, No. 20: Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

Round 2, No. 37: Derick Hall, EDGE, Auburn

Round 2, No. 52: Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA

Round 4, No. 108: Anthony Bradford, G, LSU

Round 4, No. 123: Cameron Young, DT, Mississippi State

Round 5, No. 151: Mike Morris, DE, Michigan

Round 5, No. 154: Olusegun Oluwatimi, C, Michigan

Round 6, No. 198: Jerrick Reed II, S, New Mexico

Round 7, No. 237: Kenny McIntosh, RB, Georgia

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I would agree with you, It's just about priorities and the fan priority was DT. I wanted them to draft Carter at 5 because I was I love with the idea of dominance at that position. But the more I look at spoon the more I see a player they picked that is going to dominate. I agree that the fan base just needs to have some patience and trust the Seahawks.

cymatica

Reaction score
Initially I was disappointed with round 1, especially after picking up a CB. Seems like they have had a bad habit of prioritizing flashy skill players over the trenches.

Now I think those were the right moves. They added to their strength. Spoon seems very smart and is exactly the kind of player needed to counter the 49ers. They now have what looks like an elite secondary and receiving core, and their 2 first picks are about as can't miss as you can get.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I would say their most glaring needs were IDL and ILB going into the draft.

After the draft I think that is still true. However, they still came away with likely 5 players that will get 3-500 snaps a piece out of this draft if they all stay healthy. LCB, WR3, EDGE, RB2, IDL were all needs going into the draft. Witherspoon and JSN will likely get a full season of starter snaps.

In the best case we also get OG1 and C1 and McIntosh carves out the Travis Homer role.

This was a pretty "eh" class overall, but felt extra weak in the front 7. I'm glad we didn't push players based on need. This is the type of draft that could really bite you if you don't just take BPA.

sdog1981

Reaction score
They also said they would not chase the draft for positions of need. They added players to thin positions and that's what the draft should be used for.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I've carried the flag of criticism for how badly they've drafted the past few years but they have now killed two drafts in a row in my opinion. I love this class and I think this class has a similar impact as last years with multiple starters and major contributors. JSN and Witherspoon will be stars in due time.

GGotskill

Reaction score
Initially I was disappointed with round 1, especially after picking up a CB. Seems like they have had a bad habit of prioritizing flashy skill players over the trenches.

Examples? Only one I can really think of is Eskridge.

Now I think those were the right moves. They added to their strength. Spoon seems very smart and is exactly the kind of player needed to counter the 49ers. They now have what looks like an elite secondary and receiving core, and their 2 first picks are about as can't miss as you can get.

Corps*

cymatica

Reaction score
Examples? Only one I can really think of is Eskridge.
I lumping trades and other moves in with that. Unger for Graham comes to mind. Keeping Harvin over Tate, who was more of a blue collar receiver. Penny in the 1st round when they had a struggling oline. Passed on Andrew Whitworth and released former Saint Evens(I think that was his name) who ended up playing pretty good that year.

🙄

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
People use to complain they don't take best player available instead reaching for need. Now that they take best player available people complain about not drafting for need. Fans are funny.
Yep, never satisfied. However, I'm pleasantly surprised how many people actually are digging this draft.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I've carried the flag of criticism for how badly they've drafted the past few years but they have now killed two drafts in a row in my opinion. I love this class and I think this class has a similar impact as last years with multiple starters and major contributors. JSN and Witherspoon will be stars in due time.
No doubt. There are going to be some very good players released from this team at some point imo. Great problem to have. Pete loves a ton of competition and a deep roster. Well, he's getting both this year.

Chawker

Reaction score
They added a CB, WR, 2 RB, Edge, Guard, Center, D tackle, D End, and safety. Every position of need. The only complaints that can be made by people is it was not the right person at the right spot. BUT omg that is so subjective. Trust in the team!

Round 1, No. 5: Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois

Round 1, No. 20: Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

Round 2, No. 37: Derick Hall, EDGE, Auburn

Round 2, No. 52: Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA

Round 4, No. 108: Anthony Bradford, G, LSU

Round 4, No. 123: Cameron Young, DT, Mississippi State

Round 5, No. 151: Mike Morris, DE, Michigan

Round 5, No. 154: Olusegun Oluwatimi, C, Michigan

Round 6, No. 198: Jerrick Reed II, S, New Mexico

Round 7, No. 237: Kenny McIntosh, RB, Georgia
I was thinking ..... Could we've gone without drafting a CB, WR or a off ball DE ? Hmm..... Well, the answer is yes ! Are biggest need was defensive run support. And addressing it in the forth and fifth rounds doesn't seem like they got the job done. This would of been a good draft to select a MLB, Bobbys not a young man anymore.

I'll stand behind my C grade with this draft. Cheers

Jac

Reaction score
I was thinking ..... Could we've gone without drafting a CB, WR or a off ball DE ? Hmm..... Well, the answer is yes ! Are biggest need was defensive run support. And addressing it in the forth and fifth rounds doesn't seem like they got the job done. This would of been a good draft to select a MLB, Bobbys not a young man anymore.

What MLB would you have taken? Forcing need over BPA is how this roster became bereft of talent over the years.

cymatica

Reaction score

I think the terrible run defense was a combination of new scheme and players that didn't fit. Brooks was being misused and Barton was out of position often. Wagner coming back is an instant upgrade, even though he's older he can make sure the defense is lined up properly. Jones is a huge addition and Mafe was only improving. Taylor is a big question mark, but it's hard to think he won't improve.

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
They ignored primary needs other than WR the first round, got a CB they didn't need and honestly isnt the best at the position (Christian Gonzalez was better) passed up on a generational talent at DT, didn't address the LB situation at all, severely reached on a RB in the 2nd round (Even though I like the McIntosh pick much better) and could have had Trenton Simpson who's gonna be dynamite for Baltimore.

D- for this incredibly underwhelming draft

GGotskill

Reaction score
I lumping trades and other moves in with that. Unger for Graham comes to mind.

Ok, decent example.

Keeping Harvin over Tate, who was more of a blue collar receiver.

Thought this was "flashy" skill players vs trenches?

Penny in the 1st round when they had a struggling oline.

They had just traded for Duane Brown, drafted Ifedi the year before, signed DJ Fluker that off-season. They had invested in that line, it just didn't perform up to task. There was reason to believe the line didn't need high draft picks invested in that draft.

Screenshot 20230501 112503

This was our RB stable the previous year. You telling me RB wasn't a huge need?

Passed on Andrew Whitworth

In Free Agency? It takes two to tango, ever think he didn't want to sign here?

and released former Saint Evens(I think that was his name) who ended up playing pretty good that year.

How are either of these passing on the trenches for flashy skill players?

So, one decent example over a decade of drafting?

Just trying to help, a lot of people don't realize core is incorrect.

GGotskill

Reaction score
I was thinking ..... Could we've gone without drafting a CB, WR or a off ball DE ? Hmm..... Well, the answer is yes ! Are biggest need was defensive run support. And addressing it in the forth and fifth rounds doesn't seem like they got the job done.

You do realize that run defenders can be had in the 4th and 5th rounds, routinely? Big run stuffing d lineman arent generally drafted highly because of the one dimensional skill set.

What did you give last year's draft?