How does Tyron Smith effect an Okung extension?

RiverDog

Reaction score
bigDhawk":1sgj6kuh said:
RiverDog":1sgj6kuh said:
Well, that's the Cowboys, and it goes a long way in explaining why they are always one of the teams that have so much trouble staying under the cap and haven't seemed to be able to get that one player that can put them over the hump. They spend their money foolishly, hitch their wagon to the wrong horses.

I don't see the Hawks paying anywhere close to that kind of scratch to Okung, not with Russell and guys like Wagner and Wright coming up soon. Even when he's healthy, Okung is merely adequate, and not All Pro quality like Smith is. IMO this will be the last year we see Okung in a Hawks uniform.

Here in Dallas I've been listening a lot to the local talk about the Smith extension and by all accounts the Cowboys made out like bandits in this deal and absolutely fleeced Smith. Apparently the player's union and agents are up in arms that Smith signed such a favorable deal for the club and left tens of millions on the table. The problem with the deal, which is for 10 years, is that it only gives Smith one shot at a guaranteed signing bonus. He is only 22 years old I think, and if the deal were for half the years, he could basically do the same deal again in five years and get another 40-50 million guaranteed. He essentially signed away his entire career with only one chunk of guaranteed money. This is a crazy good deal for the Cowboys as it will essentially give them five or six years of cap freedom for one of the best young LTs in the game, should they ever need to cut him. FWIW, Smith is the only player on the Cowboys roster I would trade straight up in a heartbeat for the player on our team at that position.

As for how this effects Okung, I would say not at all because absolutely no one is going to structure a deal like that again that is so favorable for the club. This contract will not be a realistic comp for any franchise LT going forward.

FYI Smith is 23, will turn 24 during this coming season.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Okung's draft status is long since over. if he wants top line money, he can take his glass ankle and gtfo.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If he would sign a contract that says he gets paid like a great player only when he is healthy so that we can afford to keep a very very good player behind him that can play all the snaps that tOkung can not then yes.

We have to have some reliability on the offensive line especially if Beast Mode is moving on too.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Nothing - there won't be an extension. We will definitely let the 29 year old Okung test the open market and I expect us to keep draft OL in the next two drafts.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I really like Russell Okung the person. I hope his body holds together. He's only turning 26 in October.

That said...

Regardless of anyone else's contract, Okung's leverage went waaaay down when he was replaced for 8 games by a flaming bag of dog poop and the Seahawks still won. It wasn't pretty during that stretch, but we survived and went on to make history & bring home the hardware. Being that easily swapped-out does not earn the big-bucks second contract.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
of course at the rate we lose linemen to injury its got to be tuff to let any of them go while they are healthy.