How long until the Seahawks are no longer special?

amill87

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks have started the new era.

The NFL works in cycles. Defenses dominate. Than offenses. Than defense again.

I've been saying this for awhile now, I think the era of offenses winning championships will slowly die out.

Look at the league this year. Everyone is focusing on defense and people are stacking their secondary more than ever.

Coincidence? Maybe. But everyone paid attention what happened to the number offense in league history vs an awesome defense

two dog

Reaction score
None of them have Earl Thomas at safety though. Your CB's can get away with a little
more when they have a laser guided rocket behind them.

Not to mention NOBODY has a SS like Kam Chancellor, NOBODY.

Yeah, Pete deserves all credit for the trend. Mike Mayock, as a former defensive back,
deserves credit for spreading the idea and the term "Seattle cornerback" to all the
Senior bowl, combine and NFL network viewers.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The answer... when Earl's and Kam's play starts declining... likely in about 6-7 years... but we'll still have Russell so we've got a chance to stay special for a very long time.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
If you want an honest answer, when we lose by a blow out or by at least two TDs in a home game (non pre-season, but we tend to win those too). If that other team isn't playing the most lights out football you've ever seen and this happens, I'd expect the aura of special and invincibility to wear off real quickly. Hopefully that's not anytime soon.

I know the day will eventually come that they will stop saying Seattle hands-down has the best secondary in the NFL, but I don't want to think about that day. It's really cool to hear your team is "hands-down the best" anything (rather than just "arguably the best"...which is still very good). In the future I do expect to see words about the epic-ness of our defense drop...BUT I also do expect to hear more and more praise about our offense, and that's exciting to think about.

sutz

Reaction score
How old are your kids? Are they still "special?"

:)

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
byau":1ue0pfb8 said:
Your question is not so much about an individual, but more about the Seahawks current style of football right?

There is one X-factor that many people are missing: team mentality and team love. That is something VERY hard to duplicate.

How else do you inspire those that were deemed not good enough to draft early? Or the unwanted from other teams rosters? If it was just one or two players, that might be coincidence. But it is an entire team.

Marshawn is the best example. If you see this guy, he appreciates the respect and team love he gets and responds in kind. He plays not just for himself but for the entire team and for his coach.

Another great example: team defense. Guys really rooting for each other. Guys preparing together giving us one of the best route recognition team defenses.

That kind of mindset lifts someone to a whole new level. And it comes from leadership: Russell, Coach, JS, etc. So as long as the leadership is there (and Russell Wilson: a big part of that) the Seahawks will have something many teams won't have regardless of the individuals that get signed.

Great points! Especially regarding how fickle team chemistry can be; a fact that sometimes seems to be lost around here.

The original question is very easy to speculate, very hard to speculate on accurately. This is new ground for the FO and for us, so I'll just continue to enjoy the ride and see what happens.

evergreen

Reaction score
well when Belicheck starts to copy you, you're probably doing something right! But it's called team chemistry for a reason. It sucks to lose players like Tate, Big Red, Clemmons, and Browner but they all got their rings. I hate that they play for some other team now though. Browner is a monster! Tate has the best hands around! But it's how this system works. Somewhere there's the next Sherman waiting to play.

Latest posts