How much do care about the TEAM or the individual players

Rat

Reaction score
I became a Seahawks fan initially, effectively divorcing the obsession I had with another franchise throughout my childhood and early teen years, because of an individual player I was an enormous fan of in the mid 90s. However, it has been well over two decades now, and I remain a fan of the team despite all the player turnover. I’m hooked on the Hawks now, but honestly, it wouldn’t take me long to latch on to a new team if the Seahawks were contracted for some strange reason.

Based on past discussions on this board, I’d wager “city/region” is more accurate than “team”. How many of those saying “team first” would remain a fan if the franchise were relocated? Doesn’t seem to be a lot of Thunder fans in these parts.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
When I was a kid it was VERY much players over team, especially here in Seattle where that's really all we had to root for in the 70's and 80's was individual players to do well.

I'd obsess over Largent, Zorn, Easley, Alvin Davis, Griffey, etc. Far more than the team, cause that meant more painful letdowns.

But as I've gotten older and understood the cold business side of pro sports, it's 100% team. Sure I still have my favorite players, but winning is all that matters now..........so it that means winning without my favorite players, so be it, see ya.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Rat":3k1x1fck said:
I became a Seahawks fan initially, effectively divorcing the obsession I had with another franchise throughout my childhood and early teen years, because of an individual player I was an enormous fan of in the mid 90s. However, it has been well over two decades now, and I remain a fan of the team despite all the player turnover. I’m hooked on the Hawks now, but honestly, it wouldn’t take me long to latch on to a new team if the Seahawks were contracted for some strange reason.

Based on past discussions on this board, I’d wager “city/region” is more accurate than “team”. How many of those saying “team first” would remain a fan if the franchise were relocated? Doesn’t seem to be a lot of Thunder fans in these parts.

For sure.

There's a reason the city comes first in the name, right? That's the whole point, our city vs your city, our state vs your state! Tribalism.

Doesn't make much sense rooting for a team that packed up and left us and plays somewhere I've never been. (ex here was Oklahoma)

So the more accurate phrase would be I'm 100% a Seattle Seahawks fan..... you're right, if they were sold, and moved, my allegiance would be gone. And I'd have a big ol' hole in my heart.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Guess I'd have to admit my first allegiance is to the game of football. There are times I am unable to watch the Seahawk game, so I watch some other game on TV while I keep track of our game on the internet. If the Seahawks were somehow no longer a team I would likely find another to pull for. But it would be tough. After 40 yrs or so of being a Seahawk changing that bond would be a tall order. But I will always love the GAME.

Rat

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":20u61ynn said:
Rat":20u61ynn said:

For sure.

There's a reason the city comes first in the name, right? That's the whole point, our city vs your city, our state vs your state! Tribalism.

Doesn't make much sense rooting for a team that packed up and left us and plays somewhere I've never been. (ex here was Oklahoma)

So the more accurate phrase would be I'm 100% a Seattle Seahawks fan..... you're right, if they were sold, and moved, my allegiance would be gone. And I'd have a big ol' hole in my heart.

That makes sense. I moved around so much as a kid that I never had a local team to latch onto (my allegiances in the Big 4 sports are about as far apart as they get); I guess I always kind of considered the team “the team” even if they moved. But yeah, it’s not like the Ravens are still considered the Browns.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The "players first" crowd will never admit to it, but you'll know them when they come in here and wring their hands about how awful the 90s were without a good QB.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I love the individual players.

But the players will "play" for any team that pays them.

The players themselves don't "love" the organization most of the time.

The organization will be what you follow in your life.

I believe you can love both the organization and the individual players.

Players for the most part give it their all on the field for most of the time.

It's hard to say if the organization gives it "their all" most of the time (look at the Browns, Jaguars, Bengals, Raiders and Jets).

vin.couve12

Reaction score
When I was a kid and when I was young I liked the players, hence why I started off as Bears fan (Walter Payton) and then became an Eagles fan after he was gone when I first saw a QB that didn't run like he only had one leg(Randall Cunningham).

Back then QBs were like picking teams at school or on the street and it was like, "Well...can you at least throw it?"

Eventually you grow up though. The Seahawks are a team by definition. Home state team at that. Team first, all the way.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm a fan of the COACHES first, then GM and organization, and then the players.

This actually makes it hard to truly hate that coastal NFL franchise south of Seattle, because they have had some truly great coaches, and in the form of Pete Carroll, we have benefited greatly from that coaching tree. They also currently have a coach with some commonality with Pete Carroll's coaching lineage.

Pete Carroll is an absolutely FANTASTIC coach and we are so lucky to have him.
Having John Scheider to work with him makes it even better.

As far as players go, Russell is pretty awesome and has defined this generation of Seahawks, right along with Bobby Wagner. We do have some terrific leaders among the players, which is also a function of the coaching philosophy and overall coaching and team culture excellence that Carroll brings.