Husky Head Coach Tops This List Of Pac-12 Coaches

gowazzu02

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2sbrk4qd said:
gowazzu02":2sbrk4qd said:
I dont think Leach should be any lower then 3 look at what he took over. People forget how truly bad it was at WSU during the Wulff years.

If we wanted to have the conversation I could make an argument that he could be even higher then pete or shaw......

I guess it depends on what criteria you are judging by. I'm a big picture guy so I look at how it all combines to create an overall package. There's X's & O's, player development, recruiting, public relations, character development, etc. Remember, this is collegiate's, there's more to it than just the game of football.

I could even see an argument made for #4 but the top-3 are untouchable because of their skillsets that put them above the others in the conference.

Petersen for his overall organizational skills,

Shaw is the better gameday manager,

and Chip for his innovation.

Having said that, the book is still out on Leach, if he continues to have good seasons, and it becomes apparent it was more than just having a good QB, he will be hard to ignore.

I think the biggest argument for Leach is he's made the casual pac12 fan forget about how much of a disadvantage it is to coach in Pullman.

If we're talking innovation, Leach with Hal Mumme created the Air Raid offense which has basically taken over college football.

What I keep coming back to is imagine what he could do in Seattle with all those resources and 4 and 5 star recruits, or LA with all those 5 star recruits or Stanford who basically gets any kid they want cause of "the Stanford education" or if he had his own Phil Knight willing to buy any asst. coach or facility.

Leach is winning games at the level of those guys mentioned with recruiting classes that are on average 40th or so. He just graduated the QB who owns every meaningful passing record in the conference and that kid was a walk on who was going to play in the ivy league.

As for the book still being out on Leach, his succcess at Tech shouldn't be discounted, Lubbock texas is basically the Pullman of the Big12. There he was fighting it out with Texas and Oklahoma aka UW, Stanford and SC.....

Leach constantly does more with less then any coach in the conference. Maybe any coach in the BCS conferences.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Okay, you make a good argument, lol, BUT "all those" 5-star recruits that UW gets don't exist, and this current UW class that has an even mix of 4 and 3-star recruits is their best in years.

I think he does do more with less but that is what the Air raid offense is engineered to do. If he is able to replicate, or even come close to replicating, the last three years he will get his due. Personally, I don't think that is going to happen.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1w6ji11u said:
My only criticism of Leach is that every year they lose at least one game that they have no business losing.

I think you can say that about most coaches. And yes the Portland State game was a fiasco, but I think that was the real turning point, not losing that team and then going on that huge run in conference afterwards showed me alot.

The Eastern game kills me to but Eastern is a giant killer and puts guys into the nfl.

He figured out the early season blues this last year handling business on way to that 6-0 start.

My last point,,,,until I think of something else lol

-3 game winning streak vs Ducks even though Uncle Phil throws money around like candy and has poached 3 asst coaches away from Leach

-2 game winning streak vs Stanford, and was a missed 40 yard field goal away from it being 3 in a row.

-3 game winning streak vs the LA schools, and 2 out of 3 vs SC.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
gowazzu02":347wtkly said:
JSeahawks":347wtkly said:
My only criticism of Leach is that every year they lose at least one game that they have no business losing.

-3 game winning streak vs Ducks even though Uncle Phil throws money around like candy and has poached 3 asst coaches away from Leach.

A win, is a win, is a win, but don’t forget the ducks have not had their starting qb for any of them.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2lhfu916 said:
gowazzu02":2lhfu916 said:
JSeahawks":2lhfu916 said:

-3 game winning streak vs Ducks even though Uncle Phil throws money around like candy and has poached 3 asst coaches away from Leach.

A win, is a win, is a win, but don’t forget the ducks have not had their starting qb for any of them.

Shoot it really should be 4 in a row over Oregon. You remember the game Im talking about?

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/assets/5042244 ... Oregon.gif

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":c2u594qa said:
gowazzu02":c2u594qa said:
JSeahawks":c2u594qa said:

Much has been ballyhooed about Herbert on this board and while I think he has a lot of potential to be a very good QB, he might serve as a great excuse, but he isn't an automatic win. Herbert is 7-6 at Oregon, he can't stay healthy, and most of the big point totals that are referenced here as Oregon's avg. pts. under him, came against bad teams.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":1pyi3eit said:

I think this is a valid point. Yes, it happens to a lot of teams but it seems to happen with regularity with Leach. Maybe that's just perception, I don't know the actual stats. In either case it just leaves you shaking your head when it happens.

Latest posts