Hypothetical Mack/Unger Scenario

IndyHawk

Reaction score
If we sucked I 'd go for the deal ..We are trying to repeat so can't screw around with key guys on the line..I say no deal..

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Center play is so hard to judge on its own as the play of the rest of the line affects it so much, especially the guard play. Everybody complained so much about our guard play last year, esp. at LG, that I find it interesting so many want to throw Max under the bus while he played injured thru all that bad guard play. He played at an all pro level before last year so I think he can certainly get back to that if we improve LG, he gets healthy, and the Sweez continues to improve. I know that sounds like a lot of ifs but none of it is that far fetched (except maybe the LG spot but that should in theory be the most improvable being the worst and all :mrgreen: ).

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Unger had a terrible season last year. Hopefully that was due to injuries and he will return to his awesome 2012 form. That said, I don't think I could make the decision until I knew if the training staff believed that Max would be able to return to health

Subzero717

Reaction score
Hypothetical threads should get their own forum. Or just put them in the Fantasy forum where they belong.

Veilside

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":dgtkzk53 said:
Hypothetical threads should get their own forum. Or just put them in the Fantasy forum where they belong.

If it wasn't for this, the Sherman Autograph thread and the MJ/Russ thread...I wouldn't have opened a single thread upon refreshing the site. It's super slow and boring right now....I don't see how a thread like this hurts anything.

Hawks46

Reaction score
CANHawk":dlkmiqvl said:
Why does everyone want to hate Unger so much?

I don't hate Unger, I just like Mack a lot better. He matches up well against even elite NT's 1 on 1, run blocks better than Unger, is more durable than Unger, and has all the pass pro Unger brings to the table as well. I'm fine keeping Unger as long as last season was due to injury, or bad Guard play...whatever. Going way back to Unger's rookie year, I defended him when the Hawks played him at Guard and folks on this board were calling him a bust. I pointed out that Center is his more natural position and not to sweat him looking underwhelming at Guard....so I've stuck up for the guy.

I also don't "hate" Unger when I say that last year, JeanPierre looked just as good as Unger did, with a ton less snaps and experience. His run blocking looked better. We ran the ball better when Lem was in there for Unger.

Now, it could be from injury, or from poor Guard play next to him, whatever the case may be, but JeanPierre looked just as good to me (and better in the run game) and he costs a ton less.

Smellyman

Reaction score
nepahawk":v76kn73y said:
CANHawk":v76kn73y said:

I dislike Unger for 1 simple reason.
I don't trust his shotgun snaps.
You could probably count on 1 hand, how many times Russell didn't have to adjust to his snaps.

ugh. dumb post o the day

JKent82

Reaction score
I don't think a third/money savings would be worth the drop off at center. I'd file this one under why mess with a good thing.

Right now there isn't anything we'd spend the money on that would augment this years team and a third while valuable isn't usually a plug and play player.

Get Unger back healthy and I think we'll be happy we have him.

nepahawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":2j1aumvf said:
nepahawk":2j1aumvf said:
CANHawk":2j1aumvf said:

I dislike Unger for 1 simple reason.
I don't trust his shotgun snaps.
You could probably count on 1 hand, how many times Russell didn't have to adjust to his snaps.

ugh. dumb post o the day

Thanks, I finally won something!

seahawk 17

Reaction score
Mojambo":3fu0im1o said:
People around here REALLY underrate Unger.

It's a shame.

I have/will continue to post it in every single thread....if you think that Unger

1. Is not an all pro center

2. Is not one of the top two lineman on this team

3. Was not injured half the season

4. Is not as good as JP....

you have never played football, or you don't appreciate what a tough job being in the trenches is.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it for just a 3rd.

Unger was a 2nd Round pick and he's a Pro Bowl Center. Just doesn't seem like enough value back for me.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
HawkFan72":xanyuqeh said:
I wouldn't do it for just a 3rd.

Unger was a 2nd Round pick and he's a Pro Bowl Center. Just doesn't seem like enough value back for me.
ditto

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
So you're saying if the Browns lost Mack and became desperate to replace him, and they offered thier #71 pick for Unger but the Seahawks hard balled it and got the Browns to eventually give up their #35 pick.

Then it would be worth it?

olyfan63

Reaction score
To me the point is that LJP looked really, really good in the times he was a starter. So I see where this is going. If we can free up $5M plus a 3rd rounder to improve the team elsewhere...
But where? Who would we pick up at this point that would be better use of the $5M? We could also draft a bust with the pick.

I would want LJP signed to at least a 3 year deal before even thinking about dealing Unger. LJP may be to Max Unger as Byron Maxwell was to Brandon Browner. A guy who steps in for an all pro and outplays the all-pro.
Granted, Unger was injured most of the year. LJP did a bang-up job replacing him.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Veilside":avviv7oh said:
CALIHAWK1":avviv7oh said:

If it wasn't for this, the Sherman Autograph thread and the MJ/Russ thread...I wouldn't have opened a single thread upon refreshing the site. It's super slow and boring right now....I don't see how a thread like this hurts anything.

Its the offseason. It doesnt change the fact that its lame and shouldnt be in the maim forum.

sutz

Reaction score
In NFL terms, Unger is just hitting his stride. He could have several more seasons here, playing at a high level. Maybe more. You don't dump guys like that without something tangible to back it up. JP was good when he was in, but we don't know how he'd do over the long haul.

So, no.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Unger is overrated by many. He is serviceable but not dominant at all. People say it's cause he's injured. Well he must be injured quite often cause there really isn't anything dominant about his game.

We are getting by with him. Would love to upgrade that position.