I Admire and Applaud Richard Sherman for his Podcast

ivotuk

Reaction score
At first, I was a little taken aback, but after checking out the entire thing, I realized that Richard was just being honest about what he felt.

That's an attribute that is sadly missing in today's "Cancel Culture," where people are just looking for a reason to trash public entities over what they said. What Richard said isn't going to sit comfortable with very many people, but it certainly gives 710 ESPN something to talk about. I just hope that they treat the subject fairly, and don't turn it in to a Soap Opera.

ESPN closely reviews anything their people say, and will jump all over them if they don't follow their strict guidelines. I can imagine ESPN's rules being something like: "Try to say something slightly provocative, but without making a solid stance on the subject in any way, unless it's a topic where we can easily condemn someone! We want to be agile on our view of topics."

A while back listening to John Clayton who was relaying a story from going in to a locker room in the 70s, and "seeing one player talking with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth": ESPN must have jumped down his throat, because the next day he had to apologize on air for relaying that story, and since then, I've heard little on historical happenings in the NFL.

It blows my mind that ESPN wants to pretend that things like players smoking didn't happen! Haven't they read or seen North Dallas Forty? But ESPN would like to regulate and rewrite history. It seems like everything I've seen lately from them on John Madden has been sanitized and stripped of all reality.

But you won't get anything like that from Sherman, and I'm proud of him for that. Even if I don't agree with everything he said. Proud of Cliff Avril too for putting himself out there like that. There are going to be a lot of people just itching to jump all over both of them. Most will have never listened to the Podcast, because they already have their minds made up and just can't wait to say "See! I was right all along!!!"

No. you weren't. Your narrow view from your own little world where you refuse to even consider someone else's opinion is invalidated by your lack of open-mindedness.

So. Thank God for people like Richard Sherman! Whether people see it as Right, Wrong, or Indifferent, he's going to provoke you in to thoughtful reflection. Unless you're mind is already made up.

Richard Sherman for President! :2thumbs:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He basically made it sound like the ONLY time Seattle had a good team was when he was playing here. And also said that the team was "just fine" being in XL. Not even close to accurate.
Not sure that's something to be proud of. But as always, Sherm makes it all about him.
Loved him when he was here, but he needs to just shut his pie hole sometimes.
This is the guy who told a local idiot reporter that he was going to ruin his career. It was on video AND audio, and he still doubled down and claimed he didn't say it.

Proud he was a Hawk, and for what he did for the team. But my goodness, his act is just getting old.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Except he was right.

That was the last time we were good.

When he and safeties went down in that Thursday night football game in AZ, that was pretty much it.

We were a glorified wildcard team ever after.

Not even that sometimes.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Yea -

I loved Sherman. I loved him being a loudmouth and delusional and narcissistic.

We get it. I thought he was good. He mentioned a couple interesting things in the interview - I found both the hypocrisy and the statements on the Pete side amusing.

He was good. He wasn't league-ending good. I miss him - but his play, not his mouth anymore.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1565505/salk-making-sense-richard-sherman-seahawks-comments/

And I think in this article - Salk comes out the winner. Nicely written and pretty objective in my opinion.

I agree with the other poster: Sherm: "shut your ****** pie hole" ;)

Copernicus called. Apparently you're not the center of the universe!

LTH

Reaction score
I think this is a pissing contest between the media and Sherm... I don't think it has anything to do with the fans... the fans do what the fans do, everybody has an opinion and everybody is an expert, ..That's the way it's always been and that's the way it always will be. I tend to agree with Sherm about the way the fans look at things but the bottom line of this is Sherm is and always has been frustrated with the way the media does things... making a big deal out of something that is NOT there. The other part of it is that I think he really wants to be in Seattle and is pissed because they wont pay him and don't see his value...

Ok what ever it's the off season we need something to talk about Sherm is ALWAYS good for that at least...

Fun story!

LTH

Jville

Reaction score
Fun topic.

And I'm compelled to ask .................... are we not all the center of our own known universe? Media personalities and player personalities and fan personalities alike.

AMereMuse

Reaction score
Sherman: “I think at the end of the day, and Seattle fans are gonna hate to hear this because they hate accountability these days…

What an interesting turn-of-phrase from Sherm. What does accountability actually look like for fans:

1) Attendance percentage?
2) Disrupting teams with noise level?
3) Buying Merchandise?

Seahawks Fans have been in the top 10 of each those for a long time.

And, if we are to truly be “held accountable” – when am I going to get my game check?

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Jville":ual61q7y said:
Fun topic.

And I'm compelled to ask .................... are we not all the center of our own known universe? Media personalities and player personalities and fan personalities alike.

I choose to be slightly off center of the known universe. That way it has to wobble while it rotates around me.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
LTH":3ep8ms92 said:
I think this is a pissing contest between the media and Sherm... I don't think it has anything to do with the fans... the fans do what the fans do, everybody has an opinion and everybody is an expert, ..That's the way it's always been and that's the way it always will be. I tend to agree with Sherm about the way the fans look at things but the bottom line of this is Sherm is and always has been frustrated with the way the media does things... making a big deal out of something that is NOT there. The other part of it is that I think he really wants to be in Seattle and is pissed because they wont pay him and don't see his value...

Ok what ever it's the off season we need something to talk about Sherm is ALWAYS good for that at least...

Fun story!

LTH

Truth.

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2kuw68a5 said:
He basically made it sound like the ONLY time Seattle had a good team was when he was playing here. And also said that the team was "just fine" being in XL. Not even close to accurate.
Not sure that's something to be proud of. But as always, Sherm makes it all about him.
This is the guy who told a local idiot reporter that he was going to ruin his career. It was on video AND audio, and he still doubled down and claimed he didn't say it.

Proud he was a Hawk, and for what he did for the team. But my goodness, his act is just getting old.

Exactly Sherman will always be about Sherman. However, the reaction by some is more proof of the hypocritical nature of some "fans". AS good as he was here with the LOB he was avg at best once he left.

John63

Reaction score
ddores":2sx7qvkz said:
LTH":2sx7qvkz said:

Fun story!

LTH

Truth.

All that aside I agree with Seatle not paying him. What has he really done since he left Seattle? he's had one decent year and the rest nothing. In 39 games in 4 years, away from Seattle, he had 5 ints and was injury-prone.

hinton

Reaction score
He hit on a couple of good points in amongst a large amount of spin and hypocrisy.

Seems that his takes are more wrong than right overall.

James in PA

Reaction score
He was so far off base with that just happy to be there SB XL comment. Nothing could be further from the truth. What a dumb thing to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyrus12

Reaction score
John63":38z6wsd8 said:
SoulfishHawk":38z6wsd8 said:

Exactly Sherman will always be about Sherman. However, the reaction by some is more proof of the hypocritical nature of some "fans". AS good as he was here with the LOB he was avg at best once he left.
A torn Achilles will do that...especially at his age..

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I kinda think the resentment will always be there for Wilson getting too much credit when in fact it was the D that got them to those super bowls. This was the closest to the 86 bears any team ever got. I dont recall Jim McMahon being hailed asthe guy that got them there. Not saying Wilson wasn't part of the success it just overshadowed a very special defense.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
John63":14lwrwsq said:
SoulfishHawk":14lwrwsq said:

Exactly Wilson will always be about Wilson. However, the reaction by some is more proof of the hypocritical nature of some "fans". AS good as he was here he was avg at best once he left.
The future of your statement...

AgentDib

Reaction score
Sherman was a high school senior in Compton during Super Bowl XL and probably thought the Seahawks were in South Alaska like everybody else. Of course his opinions about that era are going to be irrelevant and less informed than those of us who were rabid fans at the time. I'll bet there are plenty of players on our current roster who have no idea that we went to a Super Bowl in the 90s or had a winning record in the 80s.

His opinion on the team from 2011 onwards is much more relevant and worth listening to as long as you understand that his opinion, like everybody's opinion, is largely self serving.

John63

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2sbece53 said:
John63":2sbece53 said:
SoulfishHawk":2sbece53 said:

A torn Achilles will do that...especially at his age..

I did not say that it would not only that had we paid him we would be paying for an injured CB who did little.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ddores":3u1yxikm said:
Yea -

I loved Sherman. I loved him being a loudmouth and delusional and narcissistic.

We get it. I thought he was good. He mentioned a couple interesting things in the interview - I found both the hypocrisy and the statements on the Pete side amusing.

He was good. He wasn't league-ending good. I miss him - but his play, not his mouth anymore.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1565505/salk-making-sense-richard-sherman-seahawks-comments/

And I think in this article - Salk comes out the winner. Nicely written and pretty objective in my opinion.

I agree with the other poster: Sherm: "shut your f*** pie hole" ;)

Copernicus called. Apparently you're not the center of the universe!
Salk is 100% correct, Sherm has been sour grapes for a LOOOONG time.
I have ZERO problem with his assessment of Bobby Wagner, he absolutely is @ about 85% of his hey-day effectiveness, and IS still in the top tier at his position, but there's ALSO very little doubt that his BEST play days are behind him...This $hit happens to EVERY OUTSTANDING PLAYER.
IF you're not constantly trying to upgrade, you are always going to be lagging behind the rest of the League....Younger & Faster players want their shot at the Brass Rings too.
It's a crappy feeling to realize that you're NOT IRREPLACEABLE....Sherm?, you WERE once at the very top of the heap...Be proud of that but, don't chew your arm off, tryin' to get out of that AGE trap, because aging happens to the BEST of us.
\WE ALL JUST A COG IN THIS MACHINE WE CALL LIFE.