I just heard Clayton say

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
This is where the NFL needs to reconsider fining athletes for NOT wanting to talk to the media. If Marshawn wasn't about to get fined, he wouldn't have even participated and no media member would have had to waste their time trying to get an interview.

It's not the players fault here.. he's just showing up because he has to otherwise he gets a ridiculous fine. The man doesn't want to talk.. why force that on him?

plyka

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":iplr4sm6 said:
This is where the NFL needs to reconsider fining athletes for NOT wanting to talk to the media. If Marshawn wasn't about to get fined, he wouldn't have even participated and no media member would have had to waste their time trying to get an interview.

It's not the players fault here.. he's just showing up because he has to otherwise he gets a ridiculous fine. The man doesn't want to talk.. why force that on him?

Because the NFL is full of idiots and the players union is their little bitch...tough to be the bitch of an idiot.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I bet it was him that squealed on Marshawn... regarding the $50,000 fine.

Listening to that podcast he talks about when he was President of the Pro Football Writers, and he had a 'problem' with the Denver Broncos and Alex Gibbs, how he didn't like his o-lineman talking to the meeting and getting their names in the paper, so Clayton squealed (we continued to put in complaints) to the NFL and they had a $25,000 fine ready to go in dealing with him.

Man, I really don't like John Clayton now, not coming off really likable here.

Basis4day

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1d6at81n said:
I bet it was him that squealed on Marshawn... regarding the $50,000 fine.

Listening to that podcast he talks about when he was President of the Pro Football Writers, and he had a 'problem' with the Denver Broncos and Alex Gibbs, how he didn't like his o-lineman talking to the meeting and getting their names in the paper, so Clayton squealed (we continued to put in complaints) to the NFL and they had a $25,000 fine ready to go in dealing with him.

Man, I really don't like John Clayton now, not coming off really likable here.

Nah. Clayton is local and knows the team's tendancies. He would have informed the league long before had he had a big issue with it. He's also friends with Goodell. Much more likely it had to due with Lynch not participating in a planned retrospective on the Beast Quake run leading up to the Saints playoff game.

AVL

Reaction score
Touchy bunch here. Year in year out Clayton has been a positive in the media for the hawks. Sure, he annoys me once in awhile, but who doesn't?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
AVL":15fzgg30 said:
Touchy bunch here. Year in year out Clayton has been a positive in the media for the hawks. Sure, he annoys me once in awhile, but who doesn't?
sounds like Clayton is the touchy one

razgriz737

Reaction score
I don't understand why all the media guys are so critical of Marshawn's media today. Every site I go to, people are talking about how much they loved what he did, and I'm not talking just Hawk fans. So why exactly is what he did so embarrassing?

Happypuppy

Reaction score
He may well have been expecting some sort of special treatment as he is from the area

bigtrain21

Reaction score
razgriz737":35qyhdtv said:
I don't understand why all the media guys are so critical of Marshawn's media today. Every site I go to, people are talking about how much they loved what he did, and I'm not talking just Hawk fans. So why exactly is what he did so embarrassing?

The NFL network loved it. ESPN insiders showed it and loved it so the footage was made available to ESPN.

razgriz737

Reaction score
bigtrain21":382h3x9g said:
razgriz737":382h3x9g said:

The NFL network loved it. ESPN insiders showed it and loved it so the footage was made available to ESPN.
Exactly. The only people I see complaining are salty reporters who didn't get to ask their questions.

45Hawker

Reaction score
Listening to Clayton on 710 right now. He's really upset about this. I don't get it. Keeps talking about the "obligation". Pretty much whining about it. I'm embarrassed for Clayton right now.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Wow. this sorta shatters a lot of respect I had for clayton.

so far hes the first person ive heard making a mountain out of an entertaining media day mole hill.

Polaris

Reaction score
45Hawker":2vbr2znw said:
Listening to Clayton on 710 right now. He's really upset about this. I don't get it. Keeps talking about the "obligation". Pretty much whining about it. I'm embarrassed for Clayton right now.

I don't agree with him, but I think I understand why he's upset. Clayton is an old-style reporter that depends on access that we don't have. He feels that once word gets around that the NFL won't punish Lynch (and they won't...the NFL has already made the pretty clear), that other players will also stiff arm the media and use social media.

In this I think he's got a point. I think the day of the sports reporter is rapidly going away.

Deal with it, Clayton. Your customers (the fans) don't mind what Lynch is doing. That should be your first clue (JC) that you aren't going to get much sympathy or traction here.

plyka

Reaction score
Clayton seems like he surprisingly has a big ego...more likely he gets his self worth from having NFL connections, and he is attempting to "flex some of that muscle." It's very childish.

But overall I can't complain about Clayton. Perhaps he is being a douche in this scenario, but it doesn't mean he is always a douche. Some perspective people should have taken with Sherman for his rant.

Polaris

Reaction score
Point. I think Clayton got his ego bruised and lost his temper. Bottom line.

seedhawk

Reaction score
I would almost wager that Lynch gives a full interview on the day Clayton finds the rest of his chin. (Maybe he could borrow some from Cowher)

45Hawker

Reaction score
plyka":1746v6re said:
Clayton seems like he surprisingly has a big ego...more likely he gets his self worth from having NFL connections...
Clayton has made a name for himself by getting "inside" stories through his connections. He certainly wasn't going to report on anything that Marshawn said on media day in front of 100 reporters. So I think you are right - he's trying to flex a bit.

Rufus

Reaction score
DavidSeven":17dv65fp said:
Clayton embarrassed himself today. Media being upset that Lynch didn't give them enough "minutes" is pure ego. He gave the best interview all day. More than enough content for his actual fans. Guess the ESPN guys are just pissed that Prime/NFLN scooped them.

Yep, I think that's the key. I've heard nothing but love from everyone who's seen that interview--Deion, all the NFLN people, fans here & on reddit, and fans of all teams in the comments section of the ESPN.com article ("Lynch Snubs Media")--but the ESPN suits alone are coming down hard against Lynch. Sounds like a big case of sour grapes. Disney Sports got their feelings hurt that Beast Mode gave NFL Network a one-on-one but not them, so now they're trying to manufacture a story and an outrage where there clearly isn't one.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Does anyone have the audio of what John said? I can't trust people around here to look and hear things objectively....

Onyx

Reaction score
Marshawn gave pretty much the only interview that anyone cares about.

Latest posts