I keep hearing: "This reminds me of 2012!"

OLYhawks

Reaction score
I've felt this myself.

Going into the 2012 season, there was no real expectation, the same as this season. This season, I personally have enjoyed more because I've actually enjoyed watching the games they've even lost because Geno and the offense is just that fun to watch. It's been a weird feeling of glee even in a loss.

Now, all facets of the team are clicking, much earlier than in 2012. Already 5-3, where as in 2012, the Seahawks were 4-4. Watching the Seahawks D fix their run defense is my new favorite part of this 2022 squad.

I could go on and on. Something special is brewing, that's for sure!

Mick063

Reaction score
Part of it is very subtle. Very subliminal.

There is something chronically stressful about watching stagnant offense for three quarters and then a valiant comeback at the end (sometimes successful, sometimes not). It is exciting for a while, but it eventually wears on you as a fan. It inevitably gets to a point where it just isn't fun to watch anymore. I personally got to the point to where I wouldn't even watch the first half. That is how predictable the first half offensive stagnation was. I actually believe that the "Let Russ cook" thing was more about seeing him replicate his fourth quarter magic in the first half more than anything else. People saw that he could do it but were perplexed that it took three quarters to get there. I have another theory about this as well. It took three quarters for Wilson to wear out the legs of opposing defensive lineman and after he created those weary legs, he finally had room (and time) to maneuver. Similar to a boxer using body blows early to wear his opponent down for the later rounds.

The point I am making is this. It isn't just about the winning. Heck the team was winning three years ago. It is HOW they are winning. The team is fun to watch again. We don't see four of the first five possessions routinely result in "3 and outs" anymore. The youth is part of it as well. You can envision this parlaying into the next three seasons.

Last edited:

bileever

Reaction score
There is something chronically stressful about watching stagnant offense for three quarters and then a valiant comeback at the end (sometimes successful, sometimes not). It is exciting for a while, but it eventually wears on you as a fan. It inevitably gets to a point where it just isn't fun to watch anymore. I personally got to the point to where I wouldn't even watch the first half. That is how predictable the first half offensive stagnation was. I actually believe that the "Let Russ cook" thing was more about seeing him replicate his fourth quarter magic in the first half more than anything else. People saw that he could do it but were perplexed that it took three quarters to get there. I have another theory about this as well. It took three quarters for Wilson to wear out the legs of opposing defensive lineman and after he created those weary legs, he finally had room (and time) to maneuver. Similar to a boxer using body blows early to wear his opponent down for the later rounds.
It's interesting you would make this point. I thought I was the only one who got stressed watching the Seahawks over the last 3-4 years. Like you say, it wasn't just the usual stress of wanting them to win, but the tedium that came with watching something inexplicable. It just made you think, why does it have to be this way? Another theory for you--on 538.com there is an article about how Russ relied on Tyler Lockett, DK, and before them, Doug Baldwin more than we thought. Eventually, they wore down the defense and bailed him out.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
2012-2014 is without a doubt one of the best runs ever seen by a young football team. And not just any team, 'our' team. There were so many special games and moments that it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. And we're seeing it again! How special is that. Not too many fans get to have that feeling twice. Some, never.

Probably like most, I had zero expectations for the year, so to see your backup QB become the talk of the league in his first real start, to see rookies having the impact they're having, seeing a defense that's found itself and has suddenly turned on a dime and is making us reminiscent of the LOB...just freaking wow!

These times are fleeting. I'll be glued to my TV every game cursing, screaming and cheering. Enjoy the ride, one game at a time, folks!

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
It's just happening sooner in the season than 2012. We won 3 games near the end of the season by mega scores & the last 8 of 9 that included a playoff win against the skins. That was a fun year to be a fan.

pmedic920

Reaction score
It's just happening sooner in the season than 2012. We won 3 games near the end of the season by mega scores & the last 8 of 9 that included a playoff win against the skins. That was a fun year to be a fan.
Ya know what?

The reality is it’s been a great time to be a Seahawk fan ever since.

The issue is we all got somewhat spoiled.

There truly aren’t many teams that have had a better run in the same time frame.
As Football fans we really have nothing to bitch about.

YMMV

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Ya know what?

There truly aren’t many teams that have had a better run in the same time frame.

YMMV
It has...minus the drama the past year or 2. The ride up always has that extra thrill though. I think that is what makes this season so similar.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Ya know what?

YMMV

It's true, this has been a fantastic decade!

But the OP and others are also right; there was a lack of joy watching the team go 3-and-out over and over, then get a touchdown before the half, then two more in the last 3 minutes to win the game. Hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror and hope. It's hard to watch that kind of football for long, especially as I get older.

Love the wins even then, but I'm having a lot more fun watching now, even in our losses. Maybe it comes with fewer expectations, and more process-observing of rookies, Smith, and others.

pmedic920

Reaction score
It's true, this has been a fantastic decade!

But the OP and others are also right; there was a lack of joy watching the team go 3-and-out over and over, then get a touchdown before the half, then two more in the last 3 minutes to win the game. Hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror and hope. It's hard to watch that kind of football for long, especially as I get older.

Love the wins even then, but I'm having a lot more fun watching now, even in our losses. Maybe it comes with fewer expectations, and more process-observing of rookies, Smith, and others.
Fair enough.
I still think we’ve been, or have gotten spoiled.

I get the frustration, I’m right there with everyone else.

You’re absolutely correct, these wins this season have been very enjoyable, they seem to mean more than some in the past.
I think, at least for myself personally it’s because of lowered expectations, and this goes back to our fan base being slightly spoiled.

I’m fairly certain we’re on the same page here.

GoHawks

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I've felt this myself.

Going into the 2012 season, there was no real expectation, the same as this season. This season, I personally have enjoyed more because I've actually enjoyed watching the games they've even lost because Geno and the offense is just that fun to watch. It's been a weird feeling of glee even in a loss.

Now, all facets of the team are clicking, much earlier than in 2012. Already 5-3, where as in 2012, the Seahawks were 4-4. Watching the Seahawks D fix their run defense is my new favorite part of this 2022 squad.

I could go on and on. Something special is brewing, that's for sure!
Bear with me for 2 seconds.

I love the 2012 group, and obviously loved the owl.

The thing that makes this possibly better than that for me is that: we know what the upside can and eventually will be.

We've seen PC do this before, or something a whole lot similar. This is truly redemption for for PC and the shit-show that RW!$% put the ENTIRE team through for years.

I like this better. Geno is the perfect quarterback for what I've been asking for for a while. The defense, from all accounts is faster. We've got so much on offense it's embarassing. We finally have a scheme on O that we've (well, I) have begged for.

I like it. I'm having much more fun in the last month than honestly I had going up to 48 - just because it's version 2.0, and might even be better, well, quibbling about LOB stats versus the current group agreed.

There are ways this does NOT remind me 0f 2012 at all. The personalities are all functional. We did not just come off 500 roster moves - PC knows what the hell he's doing this time alot more - and isn't hamstrung by the ghosts of RW the moron moonballer (nor was he in 2012).

I like it better. I like it better than the run to XL - you know with the mountain climbing dude motivator and the caribeeners and such - 'climbing the mountain'.

This feels much more like RECLAIMING what might be ours and redemption. This is sweeter. In my opinion. And the final reason I like it better - is that it just FEELS better. It's not just 1 or 2 people. It's the TEAM, and that's what I love about it.

toffee

Reaction score
Given a choice, I would rather be 2013 than 2012. For us to lift the Lombardy Trophy, we have to overcome inexperience, zebra bias, media bias, apparent holes on our roster, and lack of stars players. With all that, it would be the ultimate joy and satisfaction as a 12.

On that note of star players, we started the season with basically Jamal Adams and Digg, now we have defense player of the month, offense player of the month, MVP candidate, and special team player of the week. We are, 12s, developing our own stars!!!

pmedic920

Reaction score
Given a choice, I would rather be 2013 than 2012. For us to lift the Lombardy Trophy, we have to overcome inexperience, zebra bias, media bias, apparent holes on our roster, and lack of stars players. With all that, it would be the ultimate joy and satisfaction as a 12.

On that note of star players, we started the season with basically Jamal Adams and Digg, now we have defense player of the month, offense player of the month, MVP candidate, and special team player of the week. We are, 12s, developing our own stars!!!
You forgot that we also have a potential Coach of the year.

Pete has to be in the top 2-3 candidates.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I had a moment during the game, something like chills came through my body when I was watching it,he said during Wednesday’s K.J. Wright Show on Seattle Sports 710 AM. “It was like the third or fourth quarter … Third down was happening and I was like, ‘Something special is happening here.’ And I saw the fans cheering – the fan base is finally coming around, believing and capturing this season. It was a beautiful feeling that I had.”

What Wright is seeing, he said, is a defense that’s finally confident and playing free. Wright would know a thing or two about confident defenses, as he was a key part of some elite Seahawks defenses in the 2010s.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Yea feels kinda the same. If we hit on next years draft this team could be Pete’s best ever. And as long as we sign Geno and he plays the same way.

Latest posts