I miss the team that punched teams in the mouth last year.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Dallas was the team that was smacking the opponent in the mouth yesterday.
It was like the teams secretly switched jerseys just before kickoff.

hoxrox

Reaction score
marko358":3ae9honr said:
Shock2k":3ae9honr said:
We lost all of our veteran (player) leadership this off season, it makes me wonder...

I guess I don't agree with that statement.

I agree with it to an extent. Red and Clem were leaders on defense. Emotional vocal leaders, and leaders by example

Mike Rob was a leader on offense. He was always joking around with other players, but took the game seriously.

The leaders that we have now, lead by example, but they are not the vocal, emotional leadership that we had with those other guys. ADB looks to be emerging as one.

We had a special team chemistry last year that I'm not seeing on this year's squad.

olyfan63

Reaction score
olyfan63":3fy2ux7p said:

Last year, we got a little lucky with injuries, in that we always seemed to have a good "next man up" option.

Last year... Unger goes down. Lemuel JeanPierre steps in and plays arguably better than Unger.'
This year... Unger goes down. Lemuel is on IR from preseason injury. Schilling steps in, major downgrade.

Well, it made sense for a while, but then I thought about Okung going down and Turnstile McQuistan stepping in...

But last year, we had Maxwell and Thurmond taking turns being healthy. This year, Maxwell goes down, and it's man-off-the-street Marcus Burley stepping in.

This year, we're just not as deep and the timing and clustering of where injuries occur (position groups) are killing us thus far. I still have high hopes the coaches will adjust to the personnel they have this year and create a new and effective chemistry and identity with that personnel. Maybe we'll see guys like Kevin Pierre-Lewis, Norwood, PRich getting their shot. Maybe we'll see CMike getting some reps when it matters. Maybe our pass rush will improve. Chris Clemons, we miss you! Our "pedestrian" D-Line rotation was a lot more productive last year at getting pressure. This year, we're a clear notch below at this point. A little more D-Line pressure... and we are 5-0 right now.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3h0txhy3 said:
Rob12":3h0txhy3 said:
Feed the Beast. That is what will help us go 1-0 every week.

It's not that simple, Bevell was calling plays based on the defensive formations that Dallas was in...........which were 9-10 guys in the box all running downhill to stop Lynch and Harvin.

We are a run first team, but other than Marshawn's 32 yard run, he was only able to gain 1-3 yards due to Dallas's defense.

What we needed to do is make plays downfield and call more play action in order to back off the defense, THEN run the ball. So yeah Bevell is culpable, but not in the way you're saying "should have given the ball to Lynch."

Bevell, Pete and Russell need to get in the film room early and often this week to come up with new wrinkles to back these defenses off the line, and it's not 20 bubble screens and end arounds to Percy.

I was perplexed by the over reliance/desire for fly sweeps and counter plays versus read option. If they saw formations that would lend themselves to running to one side or the other, why not go outside with it with the read option that takes way less time to develop and is very effective for us.

chris98251

Reaction score
El Caliente":33jyvpa4 said:
I am not saying to abandon the run. I am saying to be more prudent in how many touches you give Lynch. Turbin might only be getting you 3.8 a carry, but if you use him in the right spots, those are 3.8 yards that can impact a game for the better. As your opponent I want you guys to feed Lynch 100 times a game as I know he wont be the same guy come Jan., as a guy who likes to watch Lynch run, I want you guys to use him 15-18 times a game, and use Harvin, Turbin, and Michael more a game.

If you don't feed Lynch there will be no January.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Darn. I really liked the headline for this post because it summarized the thoughts rambling around my head in the wake of this loss and the season in general really; however, as much as i complain about Marshawn lynch as well, i mainly miss the DEFENSE that would punch you in the mouth from last year. Remember how 11 dudes used to literally fly to the ball like hungry wolves? Remember when running backs couldn't slither away from the defensive line pressure in the backfield a la demarco murray turning what felt like 7 sure losses into positive gains...

Our defense last year had so much swagger they could have bottled it up and sold it on the black market. Unfortunately, it seems they did just that and Jerry Jones bought every last bottle. Their D looked every bit as pissed off, underestimated, betted against, and chip on the shoulder as the Hawks did in SB48. I swear this years Seahawks team is on valium or something compared to last years raging, maniacal, looking for a barfight if you even look at my girl dudes.

And while im ranting, i really don't want to hear one more Damn championship football speech. You don't even deserve to use that language when you can't discipline yourselves to not jump offsides, or to float stupid passes up that should have been interceptions, or if you can't follow a basic snap count. For crying out loud, if i worked to the extremely low bar set forth by these "champions", there'd be pilots crashing fighter jets in Oceans across the world daily.

The penalties have not become a priority over the years to pete imo, and look at how dallas floundered year after year with flozell adams contributing a false start a game a la okung,,,drivekillers. With the way we diluted this year, one penalty could mean a game or a season, just ask the 9ers how bad jumping offsides can hurt in the event you give the opposition a free play...

BraveHeartFan

Reaction score
olyfan63":25ji0mbv said:
olyfan63":25ji0mbv said:

But last year, we had Maxwell and Thurmond taking turns being healthy. This year, Maxwell goes down, and it's man-off-the-street Marcus Burley stepping in.

I think this can't be over looked at all to be honest. Losing Maxwell changed the way the Seahawks had to play in the secondary.

It forced them to moved Sherman into the roll of shadowing Dez. Now I pretty much think Sherman is the best corner on the planet, and I don't believe there is any real debate to be had in regards to that (at least with me) but that is something he doesn't do and that does effect the way a guy plays.

He did well regardless, as you'd expect from a guy as good as he is, but that injury definitely hurt the way they played D.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1i332yc4 said:
Rob12":1i332yc4 said:

It's not that simple, Bevell was calling plays based on the defensive formations that Dallas was in...........which were 9-10 guys in the box all running downhill to stop Lynch and Harvin.

We are a run first team, but other than Marshawn's 32 yard run, he was only able to gain 1-3 yards due to Dallas's defense.

What we needed to do is make plays downfield and call more play action in order to back off the defense, THEN run the ball. So yeah Bevell is culpable, but not in the way you're saying "should have given the ball to Lynch."

Bevell, Pete and Russell need to get in the film room early and often this week to come up with new wrinkles to back these defenses off the line, and it's not 20 bubble screens and end arounds to Percy.

The problem was, when they went play action, Dallas either blitzed a guy, or just got a guy come free. It's patently ridiculous how we can't block for play action and give Wilson at least 3 seconds. To really sell the play action, the OL should just run block the DL. That way you're wearing down the DL whether you're running or passing.

Basis4day

Reaction score
pocketprotector":2kt1wv29 said:
Rob12":2kt1wv29 said:
I want some answers, and I thought Pete's explanation was flat out garbage.

Rob12 wants answers now!!!

Good Lord people

Rob12 is actually Drew Brees.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":1tui1jj8 said:
Sgt. Largent":1tui1jj8 said:
Rob12":1tui1jj8 said:

The problem was, when they went play action, Dallas either blitzed a guy, or just got a guy come free. It's patently ridiculous how we can't block for play action and give Wilson at least 3 seconds. To really sell the play action, the OL should just run block the DL. That way you're wearing down the DL whether you're running or passing.

Yep, I said this yesterday in the Rams thread. If I were Greg Williams I'd just blitz on every down cause we haven't shown any ability to stop it.