I need to start the meltdown with this question

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What’s crazy is, if the average fan or poster here knows that Seattle has all sorts of talents with DK, Lockett, JSN and Bobo, and including tight end group, Waldron, should also know he can design great plays to utilize their skills.

And then Carroll says, they are not used correctly or however he puts it.

I don’t think that’s the case.

I don’t think Waldron is a dumb guy.

This has got to be restrictive to what Carroll says and what plays to run offense and then it doesn’t work Carroll can then blame Waldron to be his scapegoat.

That’s insane!

Seattle has talented play makers and I don’t think it’s Waldron that doesn’t know what to do, it’s entirely, Carroll handcuffing the offensive coordinators.

Carroll has had so many offensive coordinators, not all of them are idiots and don’t know how to design offensive game plans.

Carroll, has got to be the continually handcuffing the offense and then blames other people.

I don’t believe Waldron doesn’t know he has talent—it’s Carroll, that is the one that doesn’t allow an offense to be controlled by the offensive coordinator.

Waldron is going to be fired and most people here will be happy but that’s not the underlying issue and what ever OC it is will struggle with being a “yes, man” to Carroll.

This team is doomed with Carroll at helm and will never be above average and capable of beating playoff teams….

Carroll, needs to go! And he couldn’t be gone any sooner!

It's not an easy task what you're asking of Waldron, or any 1st time coordinator for that matter.

The league is littered with new shiny coordinators on both sides of the ball that washed out because they couldn't duplicate the success of the coaching tree they fell out of.

So sure, blame Pete for the coordinators prior to Waldron because he was trying to appease his 40M disgruntled QB who didn't want to just run the ball and play good defense.

But now? I put 90% of this on Waldron just not being up for the task of going from McVay's QB coach to a coordinator with zero coordinating experience........and if you want to put some of that blame on Pete and John for hiring Waldron? Sure, that's valid.

But I don't buy the "it's Pete's fault" on this one. They specifically hired Waldron to elevate the offense beyond Pete Ball........and it hasn't worked.

Last edited:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
It's not an easy task what you're asking of Waldron, or any 1st time coordinator for that matter.

The league is littered with new shiny coordinators on both sides of the ball that washed out because they couldn't duplicate the success of the coaching tree they fell out of.

So sure, blame Pete for the coordinators prior to Waldron because he was trying to appease his 40M disgruntled QB who didn't want to just run the ball and play good defense.

But now? I put 90% of this on Waldron just not being up for the task of going from McVay's QB coach to a coordinator with zero coordinating experience........and if you want to put some of that blame on Pete and John for not hiring Waldron? Sure, that's valid.

But I don't buy the "it's Pete's fault" on this one. They specifically hired Waldron to elevate the offense beyond Pete Ball........and it hasn't worked.
But Waldron has been OC since the 2021 season. And it hasn’t been this bad before.

Are you saying Waldron with additional talent has regressed since he became OC?

If anything Waldron has more talent to work with now than he did in 2021. And in 2021 and even last season, the offense never stalled and sputtered so much.

There’s gotta be more to it than just Waldron hitting a rough patch. Something within the VMAC coaching circles, very much like a parasite, is unknowingly to us, currently, has some tremendous input on offense and it’s affecting Waldron in a substantial amount…

If it’s Waldron, and Waldron is terrible, there is something that is adding to Waldron being terrible…

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
But Waldron has been OC since the 2021 season. And it hasn’t been this bad before.

If anything Waldron has more talent to work with now than he did in 2021. And in 2021 and even last season, the offense never stalled and sputtered so much.

There’s gotta be more to it than just Waldron hitting a rough patch. Something within the VMAC coaching circles, very much like a parasite, is unknowingly to us, currently, has some tremendous input on offense and it’s affecting Waldron in a substantial amount…

If it’s Waldron, and Waldron is terrible, there is something that is adding to Waldron being terrible…

Because I think Waldron did a mediocre to adequate enough job being the coordinator of a simplistic scheme that was probably 50-60% of what it is suppose to be now because of dumbing down everything for Russ.

Now he's having a really hard time elevating his schemes and playcalling with Geno and an embarrassment of offensive skill position talent.

Besides, Pete's also been the coach since 2021, so if you're argument is it's Pete fault, but not Waldron? What sense does that make.

cymatica

Reaction score
I would have liked to have seen DK in the backfield, used almost like Deebo, in screens and short passes out of the backfield. DK isn't like Deebo in that he doesn't have any shimmy in his game, so he's not going to be as effective as Deebo (plus Waldron isn't creative like Shanahan), but it might have been more effective to try to get 4 or 5 yards on short passes to DK.
Would be nice to see them move DK around, but JSN sounds like the perfect receiver for that stuff too. 2 weapons they could easily find creative uses for.

flv2

Reaction score

The QB in '21 was better. The O-Line in '22 was healthier.

cymatica

Reaction score

Or most of the league pretty much figured out how to attack Waldron's offense and he has been unable to adjust.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The QB in '21 was better. The O-Line in '22 was healthier.

Both debatable. I'd counter with the skill position and depth talent in 2023 is vastly superior than either of those years.

Absolutely no reason this offense shouldn't be functioning at a much higher success rate. I'm not naive to think it's any one person's fault. But when a football team is struggling, there's only a handful of solutions. Fire the coach, fire coordinators, or turn over the part of the unit that sucks.

We both know neither 1 or 3 is happening. So that only leaves one viable solution. See ya Shane.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Because I think Waldron did a mediocre to adequate enough job being the coordinator of a simplistic scheme that was probably 50-60% of what it is suppose to be now because of dumbing down everything for Russ.

Now he's having a really hard time elevating his schemes and playcalling with Geno and an embarrassment of offensive skill position talent.

Besides, Pete's also been the coach since 2021, so if your argument is it's Pete fault, but not Waldron? What sense does that make.
Good, man. Fair point. I can agree with that.

I just want some damn answers and this team to get better after all these years…ugh…

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Good, man. Fair point. I can agree with that.

I just want some damn answers and this team to get better after all these years…ugh…

I think Pete has until the end of his contract to convince Jody and the powers that be inside the organization that he can get this turned over and retooled roster for another SB run.

But so far after two monster drafts and arguably the most talent infused into a Hawks roster in a very long time after trading your franchise QB? Not looking good for Pete. This IS the year his team should have taken the next step and seriously challenged the Niners for the NFC West and one of the top 3-4 teams in the NFC.

Instead they just got utterly embarrassed on national TV on Thanksgiving...........and are about to be embarrassed again on national TV Thursday.

Latest posts