I remember a San Diego game with high Temps and Humidity

Seymour

Reaction score
scrummymustard":363hak64 said:
It is not an excuse, we lost because we were outplayed, but TEN had an advantage for practicing in the heat all summer. A few days being in the 90s in PNW isn't the same. Your body acclimates to your environment pretty quickly. The players you mentioned have been in the PNW for what 6+ years? If you aren't training in the heat, especially every day, what does growing up in the warm weather matter?

A positive for this team is that this game will improve their conditioning. Coming home this weekend, they should feel great with the weather being in the 50s/60s.

Nope. If your explanation is true, why does Russell and the offense play like crap in the rain?

Sunday eve is 50% chance of rain...there goes "your" advantage.

Those guys do not spend their entire off season here. Some meet up in California or Hawaii to train together also. Not buying the lousy excuses after the hottest summer on record...sorry.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The common denominator in these two games was not the heat, it was the offense being ineffective for an entire half forcing the defense to play twice as many snaps as they should have.

The heat is a factor for both teams, but it's only an EXCUSE for the one who's defense has to be out there for 60-70% of the snaps.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ua04ecw said:
The common denominator in these two games was not the heat, it was the offense being ineffective for an entire half forcing the defense to play twice as many snaps as they should have.

The heat is a factor for both teams, but it's only an EXCUSE for the one who's defense has to be out there for 60-70% of the snaps.

Bingo. Someone gets it.

There is a problem with this theory also though. The D collapsed right after a halftime rest and then watched the O drive a long TD drive. Instant collapse after the long rest.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1gqz0234 said:
Sgt. Largent":1gqz0234 said:

Bingo. Someone gets it.

There is a problem with this theory also though. The D collapsed right after a halftime rest and then watched the O drive a long TD drive. Instant collapse after the long rest.

True, but there's no way to quantify exactly WHEN a defense, or even individual players get worn out or gassed.

What I do know is I saw an exhausted defense midway through the 3rd quarter allowing the Titans to punch them in the mouth and dictate through the run game. Not all excusable with the heat and breaking point of snaps, but certainly contributed.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":14palhbk said:
Seymour":14palhbk said:
Sgt. Largent":14palhbk said:

Bingo. Someone gets it.

True, but there's no way to quantify exactly WHEN a defense, or even individual players get worn out or gassed.

What I do know is I saw an exhausted defense midway through the 3rd quarter allowing the Titans to punch them in the mouth and dictate through the run game. Not all excusable with the heat and breaking point of snaps, but certainly contributed.

In this case, the D wore themselves out letting that 1st long drive early in the 3rd happen to begin with. TOP at games end was not all the lopsided if you check the final stats.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3kxs98dr said:
Sgt. Largent":3kxs98dr said:
Seymour":3kxs98dr said:
Sgt. Largent":3kxs98dr said:

Bingo. Someone gets it.

In this case, the D wore themselves out letting that 1st long drive early in the 3rd happen to begin with. TOP at games end was not all the lopsided if you check the final stats.

For sure. Dumb offsides, PI and personal foul penalties extending drives. I wasn't saying it's ALL on the offense, Sunday was a group effort.

Bottom line, offense has to be better in the first half and defense has to get off the damn field on 3rd down. Hmm, seems like we've heard this broken record before.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1sf2yaii said:
....Bottom line, offense has to be better in the first half and defense has to get off the damn field on 3rd down. Hmm, seems like we've heard this broken record before.

Welcome to our Groundhogs Day. Now, who wants to go for a ride...I'm drivin'. :2thumbs:

groundhog-day-still-526x284.jpg

hawk45

Reaction score
I totally believe the weather impacted the game, and I'm not sure just how much you can do without a week to acclimatize.

It still bugs me a little because we don't seem to adjust well to any adverse weather. When it's raining, for instance, I pretty much give up on the hope of any offense until it stops: Wilson's accuracy seems to suffer greatly and we drop balls.

I don't lose a ton of sleep over it but I definitely pray towards the end of the season we luck out and don't play in snow, rain, anything too cold, etc. The advantage won't be ours.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Every team that has weather extremes has an advantage if they practice in those conditions. GB in December? The heat was a factor, but not the only one. We made too may mistakes to overcome the heat. If we play a bit better on Offense in the first half, we have a few more points and the D gets some rest.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":1otmb391 said:
. We made too may mistakes to overcome the heat. If we play a bit better on Offense in the first half, we have a few more points and the D gets some rest.

Bingo.

It's called "home field advantage" for a reason. Sometimes it's weather related, altitude related, travel distance related, time zone related......................... and sometimes it's the loudest damn crowd in the history of sports!

That's my beef with Sunday, WE shot ourselves in the foot with dumb mistakes, stupid penalties, loss of composure and the offense once again being their usual ineffective selves in the first half.

This team has as much talent as anyone in the league, if it plays sound football, we win. If we implode and make a ton of mistakes like Sunday against a good team? We lose. Simple as that, don't care what the weather was like.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If you look at a map of NFL cities the Hawks really are an outpost in the NW. Most years we have the highest travel mileage and we do lose a lot of road games if you look at 10 am starts, natural grass fields, or high temperature games. However, bear in mind that we also win a very high percentage of our home games and some of our east coast opponents travel longer to visit us than they do for most of their remaining road games combined. It balances out pretty well, but it does put a larger than normal emphasis on home field advantage in the playoffs.

Optimus25":2k11ld3k said:
Are we still the practice gods that the media stories once portrayed? The team that goes hard as hell every day, always competes, always fights?
We're still the most recent team to be penalized for "practicing too hard" but the CBA has severely constrained what any team can do in practice. It's a complaint across all 32 fan bases that isn't going away, because in the next bargaining session the owners will continue to be happy to throw the players reduced practice concessions if it means holding onto a larger share of revenue. I don't think there are any solutions here and it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
IrishNW":1meepu35 said:
If you have ever done any physical activity in extreme heat you know how easily it zaps your energy. There is literally nothing we can do when we have to play in that heat. The only way to combat it is to let your body accumulate which takes weeks.
I call horse crap on this. Signed, someone who went on a 65-mile bike ride on that Saturday it hit over 100 degrees in Seattle two summers ago. (It may have been a Sunday.)

You just have to force yourself to drink plenty of water. ONE GUY was getting IV fluids on the sideline in San Diego when he could. Pathetic.

Latest posts