I SO want this guy to make the final 53,......

bmorepunk

Reaction score
drdiags":2w7idrlg said:
Tough call. I know Pete will give him a fair chance but I think his size is going to be an issue. I know that with Clint's contract the team is going to run cheaper competition against him but I am not sure Boyer even gets to play in a Pre-season game.

We will see.

He's undersized even for a long snapper in the NFL.

But he's kind of tall for an SF guy.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm sure this man deserved at least a chance to try out for an NFL team, but unseating an experienced, quality, talented, and proven veteran who was just given a new contract with guaranteed money is a pretty tall order. There is no doubt that Nate Boyer is a hard worker but he's faced with a real step uphill climb to take Gresham's spot. Nate's best shot is to practice hard, play well when he has a chance, and hope he can catch on with another team or is brought back if needed b/c of unforeseen circumstances.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1lzu0kdq said:
hawknation2015":1lzu0kdq said:
Scottemojo":1lzu0kdq said:
I am not at all patriotic. To me, it was a wasted pick. And intended to distract from the Clark pick, which no one should have had to apologize for anyway.

You're wrong, because (1) it wasn't a "pick" and (2) it only cost the team $2,500 to provide them with competition at long snapper and an inspirational figure during practices.
Ah yes, not a pick.

A waste of a spot on the 90 man roster. For a way undersized, even for a longsnapper, lil ass dude. And still intended to distract from the Clark pick. WHich nobody should have to apologize for anyway.

I demand an apology! (For not knowing it wasn't a pick, for distracting me from Clark, and for capitalizing "H" in Which)

kobebryant

Reaction score
.[/quote]

This guy is not any different than the Michael Sam pick. Not going to make the roster. A waste on the 90.

I don't really give a crap what makes a good citizen. But I do want my Hawks to get the best 90 they can.[/quote]

I believe they won a Super Bowl shortly after trying Brian Banks on the 90.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kobebryant":36l60jvr said:
I can't imagine anyone is rooting against him

IMO it's a waste of time to even bother rooting for him or against him. People can be happy for him, I guess.

He's 34 years old, 5'10" and 195 pounds. Signing him was a PR stunt.

I'm totally fine with that, but beyond not hurting himself if he's every allowed in the field during camp or pre-season, there's nothing to really root "for" IMO.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":7jbewfv7 said:
This guy is not any different than the Michael Sam pick. Not going to make the roster. A waste on the 90.

I don't really give a crap what makes a good citizen. But I do want my Hawks to get the best 90 they can.

It's not really a waste. Often players who are never going to be on the team are added to the 90 man roster, just to give practice reps to other back ups.

Sam was a draft pick, so there's really no comparison. Wasting draft picks is capital. Adding someone to the roster to allow for other players to get in more practice isn't a waste.

I don't know how many times we've signed quarterbacks solely for the purpose of having someone throw the ball to some extra wideouts for a few sessions.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I agree it was a feel good PR move.. I don't agree they did it to take away attention from Frank Clark, because they signed this guy immediately after the draft ended. The Clark backlash didn't really heat up until after the draft was over.

I also agree that it's a waste of a roster spot.. I know some people laugh at that, but this is a team that unearths jewels in UDFA.. would rather give another guy a look or even a cheap veteran FA to see if they can make the team and contribute

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3mni77p0 said:
I agree it was a feel good PR move.. I don't agree they did it to take away attention from Frank Clark, because they signed this guy immediately after the draft ended. The Clark backlash didn't really heat up until after the draft was over.

I also agree that it's a waste of a roster spot.. I know some people laugh at that, but this is a team that unearths jewels in UDFA.. would rather give another guy a look or even a cheap veteran FA to see if they can make the team and contribute
Some of the Clark talk began within minutes of the pick on Twitter. Which is why I thought it a PR move to counteract that 2nd rounder. I doubt we ever get confirmation of my little conspiracy theory, but it was my thought the very minute I heard they signed Boyer.

I totally get why some people like him for sentimental reasons. But hoping he makes the team is hoping we get worse at a spot on the 53.

I am certain we will get some PR spin for Hawk brass if he sticks on the 90 for a while, a little schtick about how his worth ethic is making the team better, stuff like that. They will never just come out and say they signed him to be nice, or for PR.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
hawknation2015":ya7c1q0t said:
I agree it would have been a waste if they had used a pick. But 90-man roster? Eh, there are a lot of players on this roster right now who have little to no chance of making the 53-man roster. If they felt like they needed someone to push Clint Gresham, while providing a little inspiration to the team, and all for $2,500 . . . I have no problem with it.
My thoughts also.

Scottemojo":ya7c1q0t said:
This guy is not any different than the Michael Sam pick.
I think it was waaaay different. I would love to know the behind-the-scenes story on that one, because I'm pretty sure there was a much larger agenda involved.

***Caveat: I will forever hate Michael Sam. I really don't give a crap what he does in his own bedroom, but he came out with his announcement just days after we won the Super Bowl. Once that happened, all Seahawks news stopped and NFL news became all-Sam-all-the-time reporting and speculation. I was deprived of weeks of basking in the glow of our win on sports TV.

TeamoftheCentury":ya7c1q0t said:
Gresham is entrenched in the position. We fans should be grateful to have him. I am. I'm sure the Hawks are. I would think Boyer understands this and coming to the Hawks might be the best thing for him to hang with one of the league's best for awhile and to keep at training while he hopes for a realistic opportunity.

... if a player comes available that the Hawks want a look at, it wouldn't be surprising to see Boyer's time in Seattle come to a close. If there is a player more worth having on the camp roster than Boyer, I'm sure that will happen. They've released players already and he's still around. So, I don't quite buy that he's a waste of a roster spot.
I certainly am glad. It wasn't all that long ago when our special teams were a nightmare because of inconsistent long snaps and snappers.

I agree Boyer is not a waste of a 90 man roster spot, because I agree he will be gone if the team has a chance at someone better. If I thought any sentimentality over Boyer would trump business decisions, I would agree with Scottemojo.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scottemojo":14vcjozr said:
This guy is not any different than the Michael Sam pick.

Uh, Michael Sam was defensive player of the year in the most competitive conference in college football, and plays a high value position that people stock up on.

This guy is a middle-aged sprite who plays a position that's rarely even ever doubled up on for the 90 man roster.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3jxa87x8 said:

I don't really give a crap what makes a good citizen. But I do want my Hawks to get the best 90 they can.
Sam was drafted for PR purposes, nothing else because he's not a good football player.

LS is position that's nice to have more than one of in training camp. He's a camp body but it seems like he can actually play, which is something that can't be said for about Sam.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Think of it from Gresham's perspective, if not for Boyer he'd have to essentially spend the next month bent over with his head between his legs looking at the ground.

titan3131

Reaction score
Boyer will never make this roster. Any thought otherwise is delusional, he has no ability to make this team better.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Popeyejones":91fqyob2 said:
kobebryant":91fqyob2 said:
I can't imagine anyone is rooting against him

IMO it's a waste of time to even bother rooting for him or against him. People can be happy for him, I guess.

He's 34 years old, 5'10" and 195 pounds. Signing him was a PR stunt.

I'm totally fine with that, but beyond not hurting himself if he's every allowed in the field during camp or pre-season, there's nothing to really root "for" IMO.
Yes, people should be happy for him. That's a good comment. But, then you essentially give him the same treatment RW got by so many (and still does, believe it or not) that he's "too short." Not at all suggesting that Boyer is the talent of Wilson. But, to reduce Boyer to just a mere PR stunt puts an unnecessary negative spin on it. That's fairly insulting to the Seahawks organization and I take umbrage. ;) (Was that Seinfeld or Raymond?)

Anyway, this topic is worthwhile.

Sure, there's a plus in the PR department. That's only one way to look at it and if you only take that view - it really doesn't matter. But, you're missing what other teams are missing in trying to measure up to the Seahawks. The Seahawks way involves bringing in players that can contribute to the whole whether they are going to stick or not. Didn't Bill Walsh (along with consultant Dr. Harry Edwards) sort of lead the way with all that back in the glory days of the Niners? I think it was a revolutionary approach back then that influenced Pete Carroll's philosophy. There's more to building and maintaining a championship culture than simply thinking it's ONLY about assembling the best talent of 90-players a team can find going into camp.

From Bill Walsh (a great believer that a players mentality was key to their success):
1. Developing a Successful Team Starts with Developing a Successful Culture
(excerpts)
Creating, communicating, implementing, and sustaining the right team culture is the key catalyst to lasting success. Walsh said, "The culture precedes positive results. It doesn't get tacked on as an afterthought on your way to the victory stand. Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners."

Instilling the right culture almost always takes time. And inevitably there will be some who balk against your standards. But, you must have the courage to confront and even remove the dissenters from your program, even though they might be highly talented. Ultimately, you must believe that your successful culture will attract, support, and retain the right talent and people, which will help you prevail and succeed in the long run.

http://www.championshipcoachesnetwork.c ... ic/461.cfm

You could look at it as just one aging, undersized camp player. But, it's really much more than that. It's what separates teams like the Seahawks from those who can't figure it out. It's not hinging on Boyer, but he's brought in with consideration to the same criteria other players are measured.

He will get released at some point. But, the Seahawks (and Boyer) both aim to be better off for whatever time he spends with the club.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
the free agent i really want is evan mathis. perfect for our zone scheme, mathis is a proven, all pro caliber player that fits a huge need and automatically becomes our best lineman. this also keeps bailey as a swing backup for depth

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":3nnb1w5u said:
the free agent i really want is evan mathis. perfect for our zone scheme, mathis is a proven, all pro caliber player that fits a huge need and automatically becomes our best lineman. this also keeps bailey as a swing backup for depth
Hmmm... did you mean to post this in another thread? Perhaps this one? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=111535

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1oit552m said:
This guy is a middle-aged sprite who plays a position that's rarely even ever doubled up on for the 90 man roster.
Remember when we carried two punters? That only cost us Michael Bennett.

IMO, That was the worst diecision of the Ruskell era, not Hutch.

kobebryant

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3ns43czg said:
Popeyejones":3ns43czg said:
Remember when we carried two punters? That only cost us Michael Bennett.

No, I do not. Bennett was cut in order to add backup OT Kyle Williams; while Jon Ryan was the only punter on the roster at the time.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3rva0yyk said:
Some of the Clark talk began within minutes of the pick on Twitter. Which is why I thought it a PR move to counteract that 2nd rounder. I doubt we ever get confirmation of my little conspiracy theory, but it was my thought the very minute I heard they signed Boyer.

I totally get why some people like him for sentimental reasons. But hoping he makes the team is hoping we get worse at a spot on the 53.

I am certain we will get some PR spin for Hawk brass if he sticks on the 90 for a while, a little schtick about how his worth ethic is making the team better, stuff like that. They will never just come out and say they signed him to be nice, or for PR.

I think it was just a case of Pete doing a solid for a good person. He's done this type of thing before, most recently for Brian Banks.

Just getting these guys in on an NFL practice field for a few weeks will create memories that last a lifetime, and also some much needed publicity to help them land jobs afterwards. Basically, I think Pete is trading a roster spot to help someone who needs a helping hand in their lives. I think he does it not for PR, but because it is the kind of guy Pete is.