I think we're playing for draft pick this point.

sdog1981

Reaction score
This is what 9-7 10-6 teams looks like

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
redeye81":10mdg45q said:
Not going to make playoffs..

Do we...

1. try to develop young players
or
2. tank for drafting better talent.

Thanks to your idiotic post my IQ just dropped 18 points.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The best thing about the winning the last few weeks? The lack of negative Nancy posts.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2i1knck0 said:
Spin Doctor":2i1knck0 said:
redeye81":2i1knck0 said:

Do we...

or
I don't think you ever want to tank. That being said I don't think this is a good team right now. We are decidedly mediocre. Our next games are as follows: Rams@LA, Green bay@Seattle, Panthers@Carolina, 49ers@Seattle, Vikings@Seattle, Chiefs@Seattle, Arizona@Seattle.

I can see us beating the Panthers, 49ers, and the Cardinals. We may be able to beat GB, but I think that match up goes either way. Vikings, Rams, and Chiefs I'm marking as losses. That puts us in the range of anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7. We could get 9-7, but only if we steal a win against the Rams, Chiefs, or Vikings, as well as win against Green Bay. We also need to beat the teams that we should be able to beat.

9-7 may be enough to get us a wildcard, but I wouldn't exactly count on it. That would put us right on the fringe of being a playoff team. From there you just pray that the team can catch lightning in a bottle, and pull a New York Giants. Will we get there? I think that will depend on Carson, and our lines health. He has shown that he is the true lifeblood of this team. Without him I don't think we get far.

Russ is the lifeblood of this team. We lose if he plays poorly, which he did today. Also, 9-7 is not "mediocre." We lost to a loaded Chargers team that most pundits expect to make the Super Bowl.

The second most important player to our offense is Fluker. If he's done, then it doesn't matter who's running. With Fluker, we can make due with Penny and Davis. Also, we'll be in every game. We can win against all the teams you mentioned and lose to all the teams you mentioned. Much like the Panthers, who are 6-2 but can lose or win any game going forward
I don't think Wilson has been the driving force behind our wins lately. He's done a good job managing the game pace, but he has played a more supplementary role to Carson, and Davis. Our identity on our wins streaks were being able to enforce our will on our opponent and bleed the clock. We've been running the ball over 65 percent of the time. Without Fluker, or Carson I don't think this is the same team. I don't think Wilson has the supporting cast to carry this team.

Also yes, 9-7 is mediocre in the NFL. One game over .500 and teams that are 9-7 are not guaranteed a playoff spot, it is a 50-50 proposition. That is mediocrity in my book. This isn't that great of a team. That being said if we can make the playoffs we might get on a lucky hot streak and take it all. We still can make the playoffs but we have beat all of the teams that we are supposed to, and win a few that we were not supposed to win. Can it happen? Absolutely. Will it? I don't think so.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3i8nfnex said:
Scorpion05":3i8nfnex said:
Spin Doctor":3i8nfnex said:
redeye81":3i8nfnex said:

Do we...

or
I don't think you ever want to tank. That being said I don't think this is a good team right now. We are decidedly mediocre. Our next games are as follows: Rams@LA, Green bay@Seattle, Panthers@Carolina, 49ers@Seattle, Vikings@Seattle, Chiefs@Seattle, Arizona@Seattle.

I can see us beating the Panthers, 49ers, and the Cardinals. We may be able to beat GB, but I think that match up goes either way. Vikings, Rams, and Chiefs I'm marking as losses. That puts us in the range of anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7. We could get 9-7, but only if we steal a win against the Rams, Chiefs, or Vikings, as well as win against Green Bay. We also need to beat the teams that we should be able to beat.

9-7 may be enough to get us a wildcard, but I wouldn't exactly count on it. That would put us right on the fringe of being a playoff team. From there you just pray that the team can catch lightning in a bottle, and pull a New York Giants. Will we get there? I think that will depend on Carson, and our lines health. He has shown that he is the true lifeblood of this team. Without him I don't think we get far.

Russ is the lifeblood of this team. We lose if he plays poorly, which he did today. Also, 9-7 is not "mediocre." We lost to a loaded Chargers team that most pundits expect to make the Super Bowl.

The second most important player to our offense is Fluker. If he's done, then it doesn't matter who's running. With Fluker, we can make due with Penny and Davis. Also, we'll be in every game. We can win against all the teams you mentioned and lose to all the teams you mentioned. Much like the Panthers, who are 6-2 but can lose or win any game going forward
I don't think Wilson has been the driving force behind our wins lately. He's done a good job managing the game pace, but he has played a more supplementary role to Carson, and Davis. Our identity on our wins streaks were being able to enforce our will on our opponent and bleed the clock. We've been running the ball over 65 percent of the time. Without Fluker, or Carson I don't think this is the same team. I don't think Wilson has the supporting cast to carry this team.

Also yes, 9-7 is mediocre in the NFL. One game over .500 and teams that are 9-7 are not guaranteed a playoff spot, it is a 50-50 proposition. That is mediocrity in my book. This isn't that great of a team. That being said if we can make the playoffs we might get on a lucky hot streak and take it all. We still can make the playoffs but we have beat all of the teams that we are supposed to, and win a few that we were not supposed to win. Can it happen? Absolutely. Will it? I don't think so.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. The running game is important, but unless you have a QB to make plays it's irrelevant. It's also a pointless argument since every good team needs a running game. Rivers needs Gordon, Brees needs Ingram and Kamara. Goff needs Gurley. You can even argue Hunt is important to the Chiefs' success.

So really, the bottomline is good teams have running games. Carson is not exactly Leveon Bell or Gurley, or any of the RBs I just mentioned. So saying he's the lifeblood is disingenuous. If we make the playoffs, it will be because Russ plays well. NOT because Carson is somehow the driving force of our team. Last year he was injured early in week 4. We still finished 9-7 with all of our injuries and Blair Walsh. Why? Russell Wilson and his 35 TDs. You can argue Carson makes the difference between us making the playoffs or not but I still think we're in every game with Davis and Penny.

Saying 9-7 is "mediocre" is silly. We lost to what many people consider to be a top 3-5 team, loaded at every position. We're a "good" team that might make the playoffs, not the Browns or the Giants

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Another real beauty of a thread here. 4-4 and we’re supposed to tank now? No words.

olyfan63

Reaction score
LTH":j04rkvfm said:
Remember that it was a Gus Bradley D... So its not surprising that Wilson didn't have the best game being that Bradley knows him so well... It doesn't surprise me the chargers secondary had a game... we are still in it... dont freak out people...

LTH

This is really the bottom line today. Gus's D has talent and came in with an excellent scheme today.
I credit Gus for making Russell look very pedestrian today.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Tanking has a low probability of working.

Having year after year of crap records and high draft picks doesn't work.

Having a bunch of mediocre to bad seasons in a row with good drafts with a new coach coming in might work (Rams), but yet again, not a high probability of success.

There's still a couple months of football left for this team, guaranteed. And I'm going to enjoy it like I do every season.

If you wish seasons away because the team doesn't look "good enough" to go into the playoffs (or isn't "good enough" to win a Super Bowl) you're going to miss a lot of fun.

MStewart12

Reaction score
Were tied for the next up for the wild card spot, to say were playing for a draft pick is just ridiculous. The raiders and 49ers are playing for picks, not us.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

olyfan63

Reaction score
Pete would never tank for draft position. Not happening.
it would be a major disruption in the Force, i.e., "always compete".
Recall the 7-9 Beastquake year, and the 7-9 year after. The team played hard every game at the end of the season, even with "nothing" to play for. Tavaris Jackson balled out the last 2 games of 2011, at least as much as TJack could.
As one result, I believe, more NFL free agents began taking Seattle more seriously as a destination to play.
Guys like Cliff Avril bought in and came here. Tony McDaniel. Lots of role player guys who saw the culture here and bought in. 2011, 2012, and culminating in 2013 with a hungry young team. Yes, it decayed from there, but I believe we are seeing that hungry always compete culture being reborn this year.
Tanking would introduce such dysfunction... beyond any we've seen... that I just can't see Pete ever going there.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Tanking has never been a viable strategy in the NFL but that's not really the point. The poor reaction in this thread is because it sucks to care about winning and then lose. It's easier to try to convince yourself that you want to lose anyway for draft position, and distancing yourself from a team when it isn't in first place is a reasonable strategy to prevent heartache down the road.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Dear God, are you kidding me? After 8 games, and sitting at 4-4 we are playing for a draft pick? They just got done winning 4 of 5 games, and almost knocking off the rams. Now we lose a game and we are somehow the Browns. :roll: