If Graham has a monster season, do we resign him?

semiahmoo

Reaction score
northseahawk":2u8roo51 said:
I was at the training camp practice yesterday and JG seemed like a man amongst boys. Totally unstoppable. How is this guy not thrown the ball every other play!!

EXACTLY.

He is this towering, athletic, smooth and powerful presence among a field of NFL athletes who look visibly less next to him.

Boggles the mind this team has not figured it out. Be it Wilson and/or the offensive play calling (likely a combination of both) it is so frustrating to know how badly we have underutilized Graham's talent.

At this point it's inexcusable.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3c4up4o3 said:
northseahawk":3c4up4o3 said:
I was at the training camp practice yesterday and JG seemed like a man amongst boys. Totally unstoppable. How is this guy not thrown the ball every other play!!

EXACTLY.

He is this towering, athletic, smooth and powerful presence among a field of NFL athletes who look visibly less next to him.

Boggles the mind this team has not figured it out. Be it Wilson and/or the offensive play calling (likely a combination of both) it is so frustrating to know how badly we have underutilized Graham's talent.

At this point it's inexcusable.

I'm not boggled. Ranks right up there with using a Little Cesars menu to call plays.

91124528-2.jpg

Arlo

Reaction score
I actually think Prosise takes over the reigns as the starting running back the guy is so versatile. His ability to be a playmaker with his hands and feet put some of the guessing into the equation for defenses like we saw last year when he was healthy against the Pats and Eagles. Graham will for sure benefit from the attention Prosise draws.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1tlervu7 said:
Just tag him as a TE. Job done...

This.

You do what NO did, franchise him.

Of course you hope you can work out a longer contract, but if he wants WR money like he did in NO, then we might not have any choice.

But 1-2 years of franchise tag on a TE is barely any more than he's making now against the cap.

hawk45

Reaction score
I think Graham is worth every penny, he was unstoppable last year IMO.

But we need to see if Britt continues to play as he did last year. If so, then between Britt and Graham we keep Britt if it comes down to it.

Reason: As spectacular as Graham is, we have plenty of weapons at skill positions. We absolutely must have 2 pro-bowl or close anchors on the OL to function when we swap out the rest of the positions as we will continue to do. C and LT would ideally be the anchors if the talent works out that way. This team needs to run the ball. We are not New Orleans or New England. Those two teams could live off of Graham's production all season and be fine without a run game. We haven't demonstrated that at all, in fact I think we've demonstrated quite the opposite.

This line, this line coach, this team, this front office is not capable of overcoming the loss of a center who is worth paying. I was fine losing Carp and Sweezy, and even Unger because he was like half a player how injured he was. Okung I was less fine with losing and it haunted us.

It's just a question of what units can absorb the loss more. If this O kept its OL together but substituted a mean run-blocking TE for Graham, we'd be fine.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, he flat out can't be covered 1 on 1 in the end zone. Yet they continue to not use him. Do the right thing, throw it up and let him go get it. Not sure why it's so hard.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Assuming Graham gets his bonuses this year (roster and workout) he's set to bring in $10 million for this season, so that is what his current cap hit is. If we extend him or re-sign him, his cap hit for next season will almost surely be less than that (unless they purposely want to front load it). I think a deal for Graham hinges on whether they think he can stay healthy. If they do, we keep him and should probably just extend him. If we don't, then he should either see the free market or be traded. I believe the former scenario is MUCH more likely than the latter.

LolaRox

Reaction score
I love the idea of Jimmy the monster, but not convinced they will ever use him to his full impact. If they re-sign him, I don't think he should be a priority.

For that reason I'd like to see his 10M spent on extending others - Britt (although not at 10M), Earl, Sherm, Avril, Lockett, Clark - all have more impact on the team's success than Jimmy does.

I see him as a 'nice to have' but not a 'must have'.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
It boils down to one simple thing,

If the Offensive Line continues to struggle then Jimmy will be wasted trying to help stay in and protect whoever.

If the O-line can handle themselves this year, Jimmy will break every record for a TE the Hawks and maybe the NFL has because he will used to his extreme.

It's really that simple.

GO HAWKS!!!

semiahmoo

Reaction score
kidhawk":o3rlvwg1 said:
Assuming Graham gets his bonuses this year (roster and workout) he's set to bring in $10 million for this season, so that is what his current cap hit is. If we extend him or re-sign him, his cap hit for next season will almost surely be less than that (unless they purposely want to front load it). I think a deal for Graham hinges on whether they think he can stay healthy. If they do, we keep him and should probably just extend him. If we don't, then he should either see the free market or be traded. I believe the former scenario is MUCH more likely than the latter.

Agreed.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Arlo":2ah0ikm2 said:
I actually think Prosise takes over the reigns as the starting running back the guy is so versatile. His ability to be a playmaker with his hands and feet put some of the guessing into the equation for defenses like we saw last year when he was healthy against the Pats and Eagles. Graham will for sure benefit from the attention Prosise draws.

True. As of now I see Prosise as the biggest potential breakout performer on offense this season - if he stays healthy and with him that's a very big IF...

SeaChat

Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY, Jimmy is worth his weight in gold we just need to figure out how to use his skills to our best interest. He's a touchdown machine in the red zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

semiahmoo

Reaction score
pacific101":1nzm8isr said:
ABSOLUTELY, Jimmy is worth his weight in gold we just need to figure out how to use his skills to our best interest. He's a touchdown machine in the red zone.

He should be but not w/this team so far.

Soooooooo frustrating....

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Nothing new. We always here "Graham is killing in camp" and "Graham is a man amongst boys out there in practice" or things along those lines since he's been here but when the regular season starts our incompetent OC doesn't use him the way he should be used.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Jimmy had a fabulous season and was used exactly as he should be in lieu of him coming back from the type of injury he sustained. He barely practiced as I understand that. Him being on the field opened things up for Baldwin to have another monster year. I believe Jimmy will exceed his all-time season record for tight ends in Hawks franchise history.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
dopeboy206":m9y3rj4k said:
Nothing new. We always here "Graham is killing in camp" and "Graham is a man amongst boys out there in practice" or things along those lines since he's been here but when the regular season starts our incompetent OC doesn't use him the way he should be used.

It's true.

It's true.

Josea16

Reaction score
dopeboy206":dpplu4ur said:

I believe it's on Wilson and his insistence to keep throwing the ball to Kearse. I don't care how open he is because nobody actually covers him because everyone knows he will drop every easy catch. I just hope one of the new guys or McVoy can down field block above average so we can cut him already. Cap hit be damned.

Latest posts