If Matt Flynn was QB for 10 years for Seahawks instead of Wilson……………….

Ozzy

Reaction score
Pete Carroll would of been fired years ago. I'm torn on the SB angle. I don't think people realize how good Russ was in those early years. He had a ton of come from behind, 4th quarter wins early on and his rushing ability massively helped Lynch and the read option (and like wise Lynch helped him). I don't have a super strong opinion either way I just know the idea that he was average and the defense and Lynch carried him is false.

W

Welshers

They still would have won the super bowl. You have to remember it was their defense that carried them. Wilson was not yet all pro level in his second year when we won it all.

W

Welshers

No that’s flat out false. Wilson was a monster early on and like I said had multiple 4th quarter theatrics. The whole team was special including young Russ
Agree to disagree. Wilson played well, yes, but he wasn't yet at that level. It's reasonable to assume Flynn could have performed at a somewhat similar level. The running game and defense was always the heart of that team. From that SB to the NFC Championship where Russ threw 4 interceptions the following year. Not knocking on Wilson at all here, he got consistently better and became a great player. But I do believe we could have still won the SB without him in 13-14'. The only time we were challenged on route to the title was vs the 49ers.

W

Welshers

You're high if you think that team makes either Super Bowl without Russ. OR the Defense. OR Lynch.
I literally said the defense and Lynch were the reasons they won it. One of the very top defenses of all time. Defense could still singlehandedly win SB's back then. It did again two years later when the Broncos won it with a washed Manning

W

Welshers

Facts? Ok
Like the "fact" that Baker was linked to Carolina? Something we all knew a month ago???
I see you are unable to stay on topic in the current thread. Unfortunate. You seem to be developing a very unhealthy obsession with me, bringing me up in every thread. Let's call it WDS (Welshers derangement syndrome)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Gentlemen, kindly cease the personal comments about each other as that leads to unreadable threads and creates an atmosphere of hostility here.

You each are entitled to your own beliefs and if there are objective reasons supporting your views state those instead of comments against the person of the other.

Lets move on.

sdog1981

Reaction score
This is just a silly question. Are you talking about a hypothetical Matt Flynn that was a starting caliber QB and did not have a 7-year career Or are you asking if Matt Flynn who only started 7 games in his 7-year NFL career was forced to start every game and extend his career by 3 seasons?

W

Welshers

Gentlemen, kindly cease the personal comments about each other as that leads to unreadable threads and creates an atmosphere of hostility here.

You each are entitled to your own beliefs and if there are objective reasons supporting your views state those instead of comments against the person of the other.

Lets move on.
Fair enough. I thought we were just messing with each other. Nothing personal. I'll gladly bow out.
Yes it was nothing personal, it was all light hearted from me as well. I understand not hijacking the the thread though, so happy to stop. Thanks for your tact in taking care of the situation Jammer! Our great mods are one of the reasons this site rocks.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
It is an interesting question. When Pete arrived he went all in with the defense despite knowing the o-line was terrible. We had to have a QB that could evade and run, RW was the best fit. Even with his abilities RW was still sacked way too often. I feared for Hasselbeck and I doubt Flynn would have lasted long either.

The real magic was that Lynch and RW made something out of nothing. When Beast mode was on he didn't need blockers to gain yards and RW was Brett Favre without the recklessness.

Now Pete knows he has to protect a passing QB and run the ball. He confirmed it by drafting 2 OL's in this years draft. I don't know how this will play out but it will be nice to have a tall QB with enough time to pass in the pocket. I don't have high hopes for Drew but he shares a lot of similar attributes with Hass.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I side more with austinslater25 in regards to how underappreciated young Russ was. I fear after another 6-7 years or so he will fall victim of "Shaun Alexander Syndrome" where he is barely appreciated by 12's years after his tenure with the team is up. This narrative that it was the defense (and maybe Lynch) alone that made us champions is false. Without Russell I doubt we make it to back-to-back Super Bowls, winning one. Go back and watch every game from 2013 and 2014 and yes, while we had a historic, bad ass defense, watch all the amazing, incredible plays Russ made on those teams.

The fact is, the TEAM was excellent, including #3 who will go down as the best QB in franchise history, book it.

Eamon696

Reaction score
I side more with austinslater25 in regards to how underappreciated young Russ was. I fear after another 6-7 years or so he will fall victim of "Shaun Alexander Syndrome" where he is barely appreciated by 12's years after his tenure with the team is up. This narrative that it was the defense (and maybe Lynch) alone that made us champions is false. Without Russell I doubt we make it to back-to-back Super Bowls, winning one. Go back and watch every game from 2013 and 2014 and yes, while we had a historic, bad ass defense, watch all the amazing, incredible plays Russ made on those teams.

The fact is, the TEAM was excellent, including #3 who will go down as the best QB in franchise history, book it.
Pretty much how I feel. Russ brought a level of dynamism to the offense that we didn't have with a Flynn or Tjack.
I think we are a good team with Flynn but that the experiment would have run its course rather quickly - the LOB wouldn't have tolerated the mediocrity from him, and the team infighting would have consumed the Seahawks lockeroom.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The running game exploded in Pa
Agree to disagree. Wilson played well, yes, but he wasn't yet at that level. It's reasonable to assume Flynn could have performed at a somewhat similar level. The running game and defense was always the heart of that team. From that SB to the NFC Championship where Russ threw 4 interceptions the following year. Not knocking on Wilson at all here, he got consistently better and became a great player. But I do believe we could have still won the SB without him in 13-14'. The only time we were challenged on route to the title was vs the 49ers.
the running game exploded in large part because of Russ and Welshers you keep ignoring the 4th quarter success and multiple games Russ won on game winning drives. Statistically he had close to 4,000 yards, was the leading rushing QB, didn't turn the ball over, hit on the explosive play and had 30 touchdowns that year. He was already one of the best in the league at that point.

Soulish said it best, we don't make the SB without the defense, Lynch or Russ. All played a massive part.

I just think we all forget at times how good early Russ was. He was a monster early on.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
No. Wilson's mobility in those early years was scary for opposing defenses.

His mobility allowed Bevell to abuse the read option. Lynch and Wilson out of the backfield kept the chains moving and the clock ticking, especially late in crucial games.

When T.O. dropped that TD from Matt Flynn Week 2 of preseason 2012 season, that was the greatest drop in franchise history. It opened the door for Wilson.