If RW played at a major program...

sc85sis

Reaction score
If Russ had played in a bigger program in a major conference, do you think he'd have been drafted earlier? Manziel was just drafted in the first round. Obviously Russell's success has helped Johnny; I doubt he'd have gone in the 1st if Russ hadn't blazed the trail for shorter guys. Still, Johnny also played in the SEC, which made him much more public. So would Russell have gone sooner? Perhaps in the second round?

Sure am glad we got him when we did.

randomation

Reaction score
sc85sis":1e39m4lk said:
If Russ had played in a bigger program in a major conference, do you think he'd have been drafted earlier? Manziel was just drafted in the first round. Obviously Russell's success has helped Johnny; I doubt he'd have gone in the 1st if Russ had blazed the trail for shorter guys. Still, Johnny also played in the SEC, which made him much more public. So would Russell have gone sooner? Perhaps in the second round?

Wisconsin is a pretty major program not for qbs perhaps but we often have at least one pick in the first round. If RW had won the heisman as a freshman its likely he would have gone higher. The thing is RW elevated his game immensely in his season at Wisconsin likely he was prevented from doing so by talent around him previously. Manziel got thrust into the national spotlight after beating bama before then he wasn't paid that much attention to. His numbers last year were actually better then his heisman year but he lost to bama and A&M wasn't in the ncg picture. Remember before wisc lost two in a row both Russ and Ball were way up in the heisman race.

OP
OP
sc85sis

sc85sis

Reaction score
randomation":xb9vzu5s said:
Wisconsin is a pretty major program not for qbs perhaps but we often have at least one pick in the first round. If RW had won the heisman as a freshman its likely he would have gone higher. The thing is RW elevated his game immensely in his season at Wisconsin likely he was prevented from doing so by talent around him previously. Manziel got thrust into the national spotlight after beating bama before then he wasn't paid that much attention to. His numbers last year were actually better then his heisman year but he lost to bama and A&M wasn't in the ncg picture. Remember before wisc lost two in a row both Russ and Ball were way up in the heisman race.

Yeah, I guess I was wondering if Russ had spent his entire career at Wisc, would he have gotten more notice. Obviously he simply didn't have that option, but it does make you wonder when you see the buzz Johnny got because he played in the SEC.

zifnab32

Reaction score
sc85sis":39vpho79 said:
If Russ had played in a bigger program in a major conference, do you think he'd have been drafted earlier? Manziel was just drafted in the first round. Obviously Russell's success has helped Johnny; I doubt he'd have gone in the 1st if Russ hadn't blazed the trail for shorter guys. Still, Johnny also played in the SEC, which made him much more public. So would Russell have gone sooner? Perhaps in the second round?

He played at Wisconsin in the Big Ten, that is a big program at a major conference

pocketprotector

Reaction score
He played at the same university as fourth overall pick Phil Rivers. He was discounted because of his height, not where he played.

McG

Reaction score
Manziel was drafted higher because of Russell Wilson. He also won the Heisman, also Texas A&M isn't that much bigger than NC State or Wisconsin. Not to mention, Manziel is dynamic talent that could become a great player in the NFL.

randomation

Reaction score
McG":p0rnm6hx said:
Manziel was drafted higher because of Russell Wilson. He also won the Heisman, also Texas A&M isn't that much bigger than NC State or Wisconsin. Not to mention, Manziel is dynamic talent that could become a great player in the NFL.

Pretty sure RW was a dynamic talent at Wisc. Honestly the projections most wisc fans were making was 5 to 6 losses before we got Russ that was supposed to be a really down year there is a reason JJ left early I wish he had waited because if we had JJ Watt and RW I don't think anything could have stopped us. I also think that the hawks may not have ended up with RW then though since he would have gone higher because I think he would have won the heisman or been 2nd to ball due to going undefeated. Our D that year was bad and we were still 2 plays from going undefeated pre bowls. That was mainly because of RW, RW also helped Abby emerge into a top tier wideout.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Ummm...he did play at a big school in a big conference

OP
OP
sc85sis

sc85sis

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2qib380b said:
Ummm...he did play at a big school in a big conference
For one year. If he had 2-3 years of tape from a major school looking as good as he did in that one year, might he have gone higher?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Wisconsin is no small time program. I can't help the fact that the scouts ignored the statistically best quarterback in decades in Division 1 football playing in a big time conference because he's an inch short. As is he was top 10 if not 5. Give him 2-3 inches? He'd be a Colt end of story.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
You raise a good point. If the genius Tom O'Brien had not decided to bench returning starter Russell Wilson in favor of Mike Glennon at NC State, who knows if he would have been selected by the Seahawks. Would a 5'11 QB at NC State have been invited to the combine, which Wilson dominated? Would a 5'11 QB at NC State have received the same attention at his Pro Day as Russell Wilson received during his impressive performance at Wisconsin's Pro Day?

Wilson's ill-advised benching by O'Brien and his subsequent high-profile season at the command of Wisconsin's Rose Bowl-bound offense certainly raised his profile among the scouts, allowing him to become a possibility as a selection in the Third Round.

kearly

Reaction score
Wisconsin is obviously a major program. NC State is an ACC team. Wilson spent all five years as part of a team that was in a BCS conference. As mentioned before, NC State had previously produced Philip Rivers, and also Mike Glennon.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Hmmm let's see. He played at NC State who plays in the ACC. The same conference as the defending national champs. NC State is also a school who fairly recently had a #1 overall pick, Mario Williams,as well as a QB, Phillip Rivers, who was drafted Top 5.

He also played at Wisconsin. A school who is in a big time conference as well as produced many first rounders and a Top 3 pick, Joe Thomas.

Watch more college football. He was drafted low because he's 5'2". It's that simple.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Only sc fans would imply Wisconsin and NC state aren't big time programs.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Manziel went higher also because rw made so many "i need a six four qb" scouts look like fools.....

He should sent rw a nice present,,,

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
sc85sis":9f5f168z said:

LOL WUT

He played at two major conference programs. Hell, his last game as a college QB was the freaking Rose Bowl, doesn't get a whole lot bigger.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
NC State and Wiskey have both produced their share of NFL draft picks and even QBs. Last season NC State had 3 former QBs startting for NFL teams. Of course the other two QBs are even larger than the NFL prototype.
Russell was drafted low because of his size. Manzelle was so hyped I one even noticed he was under 6 until the combine rolled around. Russ helped him at that point.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Let's also not forget the #1 overall pick last year was from Eastern Michigan.