If we cut Frank Clark, any replacement FA?

toffee

Reaction score
If Clark can't perform, would post 9ers game a good time to cut him so we can sign an edge that can contribute? Who's out there that we can sign?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Depth signing like Jonathan Garvin or Jordan Willis to fall back on. Some guys like Melvin Ingram are out there, but are quite old and ineffective at this point. Other than that, it's all back of roster guys. Might be able to poach a PS guy from somewhere.

Levi Bell and Tyreke Smith would be my primary options.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I am with Polk738 and Maelstrom787, I like to see what Levi can do in real games. Frank Clark coming back to play with Jarran Reed and Bobby was a heartwarming story, but he got nothing left in the tank, we still need to move on.
Depth signing like Jonathan Garvin or Jordan Willis to fall back on. Some guys like Melvin Ingram are out there, but are quite old and ineffective at this point. Other than that, it's all back of roster guys. Might be able to poach a PS guy from somewhere.

Levi Bell and Tyreke Smith would be my primary options.
Jordan Willis played 200 snaps in 2022 with the 9ers, and PFF judged that he didn't suck, gave him 70.7 overall, 63.3 run defense, 76.8 tackling, and 65.4 pass rush which he had 12 pressure including 2 sacks. He is also 28.5 years old.

rcaido

Reaction score
Levi Bell was good in the pre-season. That's why i was against the Frank Clark signing. We need to develope our younger players. Not old players saving themselves for the playoffs. There is a reason why Broncos decided to just cut Frank because he was giving zero effort.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Levi Bell's scout reports weren't encouraging, so the guy may have some limitations? I am still for trying him in real game situations.

I think the team is playing Reed, Williams, Adams, and Cam Young as DTs, they are moving Jones to play DE or as Nowosu replacement. That way, we have Mafe, Jones as edges, backup by Hall and Taylor.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Levi Bell's scout reports weren't encouraging, so the guy may have some limitations? I am still for trying him in real game situations.
Levi would be a severe athletic outlier in almost every regard for a genuine NFL edge player.

He's 5'11, which on it's own isn't a dealbreaker, but he doesn't have the wingspan to compensate like fellow DL tweener Poona Ford did. 31 inch arms. An edge player with the arms of cornerback Tre Brown is a... longshot. Even if he is good in other areas, that's going to show up. It limits his ceiling.

His wingspan of 75 1/2" would put him at the 2nd percentile of edge players with a wingspan measurement on mockdraftable's database. Not a single player at or below his wingspan (ON MOCKDRAFTABLE, and at edge rusher) has recorded an NFL tackle, let alone a sack.

5.01 40 yard dash, as well, so he's not a burner to compensate.

While I did like his preseason showing, there's a BIG uphill battle there. I'd expect Tyreke to get the call first. Reasonable to wonder if Bell would be able do much of anything against a starting caliber tackle with 35 inch arms. I'd trust them if they called him up, though. They get eyes on him daily.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Levi would be a severe athletic outlier in almost every regard for a genuine NFL edge player.

He's 5'11, which on it's own isn't a dealbreaker, but he doesn't have the wingspan to compensate like fellow DL tweener Poona Ford did. 31 inch arms. An edge player with the arms of cornerback Tre Brown is a... longshot. Even if he is good in other areas, that's going to show up. It limits his ceiling.

His wingspan of 75 1/2" would put him at the 2nd percentile of edge players with a wingspan measurement on mockdraftable's database. Not a single player at or below his wingspan has recorded an NFL tackle, let alone a sack.

5.01 40 yard dash, as well, so he's not a burner to compensate.

While I did like his preseason showing, there's a BIG uphill battle there. I'd expect Tyreke to get the call first. Reasonable to wonder if he would be able do much of anything against a starting caliber tackle with 35 inch arms. I'd trust them if they called him up, though. They get eyes on him daily.
Thanks for the analysis, I looked him up when he was flashing in preseason games, what I read cooled me down.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Thanks for the analysis, I looked him up when he was flashing in preseason games, what I read cooled me down.
He did genuinely well. If he comes up, I'd be real excited at him receiving that endorsement from the staff.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Call up Tyreke Smith and give him some snaps.

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
We need an edge with a good 40 time, whoever that might be. If you watch SF, their quickness on defense is very noticeable.

Polk738

Reaction score
Levi Bell was good in the pre-season. That's why i was against the Frank Clark signing. We need to develope our younger players. Not old players saving themselves for the playoffs. There is a reason why Broncos decided to just cut Frank because he was giving zero effort.

I really didn't understand the fan obsession with signing Frank Clark, I knew he would have little to zero impact with this team, thus why I think we may see Dre'Mont Jones more on the edge taking his snaps since Williams and Reed are an absolute force on the line.