Interesting points made by Gee Scott on the OLine

Jville

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":7w3s3vd5 said:
Jville":7w3s3vd5 said:
Jimjones0384":7w3s3vd5 said:
Jville":7w3s3vd5 said:
Glow is more athletic than generally acknowledged. As long as they all continue to work on flexibility and quickness, they can add more mass. They are all still in their early years. The best is yet to come.

Exciting times :2thumbs:

Your outlook is awesome. Hope they make a giant leap, and pcjs sit back, laughing because their plan worked when no one thought it would.

The reinforcement that jumps out in Gee's report is the commitment with which this new generation of linemen work at their craft. Gone are the old days of accommodating guys that reported to OTAs and training camp out of shape. For this new generation ..... there is no off season.

It's a process. Every day matters ..... one day at a time.

O-line is a different animal, it's almost impossible to bring along 5 new starters and form them into a cohesive productive line in even 2-3 years...........and that's if they have the talent in the first place.

I like Britt, and I do think Ifedi can become a decent guard. But no line can be good without at least serviceable tackles.

Believe me, I'd love to be optimistic about our line, but all I see is another disaster line year without signing guys like Lang who can come in and at least stabilize one of the 4 critical need positions other than Britt.

Relax my friend ....... it's a process. Your in for a real treat.

RussB

Reaction score
Looking back at it even letting okung go was a mistake. When healthy was decent at his job. They basically released all their best linemen to save money thinking it wouldnt be an issue and it has blown up in their face. Now they have to scour whats left of free agency in a desperate attempt to fix a disaster. Someone needs to be traded.

mikeak

Reaction score
^Okung was a FA and he elected to get paid less under a stupid contract because he wanted to negotiate himself.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RussB":tagy3mja said:
Looking back at it even letting okung go was a mistake. When healthy was decent at his job. They basically released all their best linemen to save money thinking it wouldnt be an issue and it has blown up in their face. Now they have to scour whats left of free agency in a desperate attempt to fix a disaster. Someone needs to be traded.

I'm fine with this philosophy, IF you have the right talent evaluation in place to replace guys like Okung, Carp, Sweezy, etc. so you're not missing a beat with trying to build an offense around the run game.

But we don't, it's been by far the worst part of our talent evaluating.

So either change the cap space philosophy and commit more dollars to the line so you can sign FA's and keep your own guys.........or change your draft philosophy.

RussB

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1fyiw686 said:
RussB":1fyiw686 said:

I'm fine with this philosophy, IF you have the right talent evaluation in place to replace guys like Okung, Carp, Sweezy, etc. so you're not missing a beat with trying to build an offense around the run game.

So either change the cap space philosophy and commit more dollars to the line so you can sign FA's and keep your own guys.........or change your draft philosophy.
I just dont get how they are so good everywhere else but stink with the o line. They have overloaded the defense and offense and paid everyone. But didnt look at the most important part of a run game and offense. THE DAMN O LINE. I mean did they really think they could put those guys out there and win a SB? Britt is the only positive there has been the past 2 years.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RussB":bpklpz02 said:
Sgt. Largent":bpklpz02 said:
RussB":bpklpz02 said:

I just dont get how they are so good everywhere else but stink with the o line. They have overloaded the defense and offense and paid everyone. But didnt look at the most important part of a run game and offense. THE DAMN O LINE. I mean did they really think they could put those guys out there and win a SB? Britt is the only positive there has been the past 2 years.

To be fair, 25-27 other teams are having the same problem as us trying to draft and develop O-linemen.

The college game is ruining offensive lineman.

So I don't know what the answer is, other than maybe you don't trade guys like Unger for Graham, and let guys like Carp and Okung go?

Going forward my philosophy would be if you've gotten lucky enough to draft and develop a good O-lineman, you hang onto him like grim death, you don't let him get to FA, or trade him even if you think what you get in return is too good to pass up.

RussB

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3t8dz5rn said:
RussB":3t8dz5rn said:
Sgt. Largent":3t8dz5rn said:
RussB":3t8dz5rn said:

To be fair, 25-27 other teams are having the same problem as us trying to draft and develop O-linemen.

So I don't know what the answer is, other than maybe you don't trade guys like Unger for Graham, and let guys like Carp and Okung go?

Going forward my philosophy would be if you've gotten lucky enough to draft and develop a good O-lineman, you hang onto him like grim death, you don't let him get to FA, or trade him even if you think what you get in return is too good to pass up.
But they do the exact opposite is what pisses me off. They thought they could just let everyone go then plug and play guys like owell lmao. Shit backfired badly now they have to pick up the pieces through whats left of FA and the draft. I hope by some miracle they can draft, garret boles, ramzyk or cam robinson. If not they seriously need to consider trading a defensive player or graham that would be the only fix. Another season will go to waste if they dont figure it out before september.

Hendo66

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":8dkqu4g8 said:
RussB":8dkqu4g8 said:
Sgt. Largent":8dkqu4g8 said:
RussB":8dkqu4g8 said:

Exactly why they should be redoing Britts deal before he's up for FA.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sounds like Gilliam is going to get into a doghouse real fast if he returns, our history has shown Carp, Bowie, Moffit and others that are not part of the crew so to speak end up being kick off the ship at some point.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I tweeted out today that the primary hope for Seahawks fans for the future is to look at the progression of JR Sweezy from year 1 to year 2, and year 2 to year 3.

Sweezy was terrible year 1, and a very nice starter by year 3. All of our linemen will improve. Will they improve enough? Well... here's to hoping..:)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The three guys who are hanging together are the three the team need to grow as much as possible. I see nothing wrong with Gee's observations about the development of the OLine. Of course they are going to grow with a second year of starting. It's the right side of the line that needs to grow the most. I need to see development from Ifedi and whichever T takes the RT job.

The negativity here about the OLine is palpable. It will be better,simply as a result of them learning their jobs and knowing what is expected from them. Rob Staton has nailed the correct approach surrounding the non-acquisition of Lang. All this handwringing about the OLine sucks, so do the coaches ,being Po'd b/c the team didn't overpay for a free agent in an off season for OLinemen in the draft is fine, but not for me. Today @ 9 is only a week since the tampering period started and 5 days since FA started, some patience and perspective is needed by a few here.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3t0z7gg6 said:
The three guys who are hanging together are the three the team need to grow as much as possible. I see nothing wrong with Gee's observations about the development of the OLine. Of course they are going to grow with a second year of starting. It's the right side of the line that needs to grow the most. I need to see development from Ifedi and whichever T takes the RT job.

The negativity here about the OLine is palpable. It will be better,simply as a result of them learning their jobs and knowing what is expected from them. Rob Staton has nailed the correct approach surrounding the non-acquisition of Lang. All this handwringing about the OLine sucks, so do the coaches ,being Po'd b/c the team didn't overpay for a free agent in an off season for OLinemen in the draft is fine, but not for me. Today @ 9 is only a week since the tampering period started and 5 days since FA started, some patience and perspective is needed by a few here.
Don't you understand jammerhawk that patience is a lost art on this new breed of fans that have the attention span of a gnat? Every person that I battle with on here is of that variety. In their eyes, new always equates to better and continuity is the sum of not trying. It's a losers' mentality. You're now even seeing swipes at Pete, who just delivered us a Super Bowl win three years ago and is one of the best things to ever happen for this organization. But I know that you get it and at least we can be comforted in knowing our coach and GM get it too.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
endzorn":v8jjeujk said:
I understand that we're grasping at anything that sounds like good news from the offensive line, but this is a non-story. We all heard last season that Britt had stepped into a leadership role and our line was a sloppy mess of dirty toilet water. I'm not sure how ab workouts separate them from other lines. I venture a guess that most lines work diligently together in the offseason with the difference being that most lines are also more talented.

I want to believe that this offensive line will be OK as much as any of you, but the reality is that we've seen nothing on the field to make us think they can be anything other than below average.

That said...go Hawks.

Britt's interfacing with his Athletic comrades, maybe trying to impart some of his Positional KNOWLEDGE to Fant & Glow is a bad thing? That they should just do NOTHING??
I see it as some Professional Athletes trying to do something POSITIVE, trying to hone their craft.
The fact that Britt did an outstanding job of bettering his play last season, tells me that maybe he's on the right path, and who's to say that Fant and Glow won't grow from putting in the off-season time.
I guess I just don't buy the NEGATIVITY you're laying down.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
chris98251":19yl3wn2 said:
Sounds like Gilliam is going to get into a doghouse real fast if he returns, our history has shown Carp, Bowie, Moffit and others that are not part of the crew so to speak end up being kick off the ship at some point.

Someone within the organization was quoted saying that pcjs dont believe he is tough enough. Odihambo or a draft pick may be better options. Or joeckel lg, glow at rg and ifedi at rt. That leaves fant at Lt.