Irvin will give Seahawks a hometown discount.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Taking $3M - $5M less in the TOTAL value of a contract is not such a large discount that I couldn't see it happening. Assuming Bruce is likely to get a 4-year deal given his age, that's about $1M less per year, and assuming there are signing bonuses, etc built in, it's probably even less than $1M on the actual salary.

That said, I don't really understand the idea that it's 'dumb' to take more money to play for a lesser team. I know some fans don't like to hear it, but this is a job, and ultimately players (like the rest of us) want to provide as much as possible for themselves and their family, especially given that most NFL players have very short careers, and many don't have great job prospects after the NFL. Very few players are in the position that Tom Brady was to take significantly less on his paycheck in order to stay with the Patriots and help them out.

edogg23

Reaction score
I don't think it would be wise for the Seahawks to be paying 3 substantial second contracts to their linebackers. You have to have young cheap talent in there somewhere.

2_0_6

Reaction score
There is an old saying that "no team will treat you as good as your first team", but everyone has their price. With that being said Bruce has said many times in interviews that being about the furthest possible place away from trouble and his old circle of friends really helped him straighten out for the better and concentrate more on family.

I'm absolutely torn on this honestly. I absolutely love Bruce (own his jersey as a matter of fact), his work ethic, his wipe me down sack dance, and the sheer athleticism that he brings to the field, but I also know we have more glaring needs that a LB/DE hybrid.

We did not miss out on the #1 seed this year due to poor LB play, we have no Oline and need to allocate funds to keep our $20m man upright.

nanomoz

Reaction score
A team that runs 34 on D is going to pay him a bunch of money. He could be an all-world OLB in that scheme.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Mick063":2zdmf36z said:
He means well but his agent will not stand for it.

Nothing worse on your agent's resume than "home town discount."

LOL....I can just hear his agent screaming, "You said what? We need to have a talk."

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Somebody is going to blow him away with money the Hawks cannot afford.

Which is too bad, because he was becoming a damn good player.

mikeak

Reaction score
kearly":1eovmg0z said:
A hometown discount just means that if Seattle's offer is close, they'll get it done. Seattle was not close in their offer to Tate, which is why he left.

1) Agree 100%

2) That is how it should be from both sides. If you lowball a guy either because you think you can or because you don't have cap space then the team and fans should understand why he leaves. If he is with a winning team and gets slightly less than a crappy team then you find out if they are all about the money or not.

I do wonder if people remember playoff bonuses, endorsement deals AND taxes when they look at this. Just state taxes probably makes up $3 million.....

QuahHawk

Reaction score
This is his ploy to get his bidders to up their anti, just like Tate who claimed he would take less if gave him more leverage when teams came calling. Forcing them to pry him away with an offer he can't refuse.

He is worth more to us than most teams, I'd keep him for $7mil APY.

Osprey12

Reaction score
All depends if the contract he signs elsewhere exceeds the state income tax break he would get here. That's the hometown discount I'm sure.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Largent80":244iz89t said:
Atlanta sucked. Why would Irvin want to go to a suck ass team?...Hometown?....If you are a player the desire to WIN takes front and center stage.
He would go to Atlanta for one reason only - $$$.
We as fans like to believe that winning is what a player wants. Don't believe it, it's not true. It's $ nothing more, and certainly nothing less.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Largent80":1iv8j4q3 said:
Atlanta sucked. Why would Irvin want to go to a suck ass team?...Hometown?....If you are a player the desire to WIN takes front and center stage.

Time to wake up, Dorothy, you're not in Kansas anymore. When the business side kicks in, all bets are off. If another team, like Atlanta, offers significantly more, he's as good as gone. The first re-up is usually all about money. That big contract players all dream of.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'll be surprised if we can afford him.

We're paying KJ $6.75M/year average and Wagner $10.75M/year.

Based on those two numbers, Irvin should be pulling in somewhere around $7.5M/year.

I don't see it happening.

I'd let him skate and likely recoup a 4th round compensatory pick in 2017.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":139znmsh said:
Irvin is not going anywhere. Book it.

I'm booking the opposite. Some dumb team will overpay.

Next man up.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
nanomoz":2408mj2o said:
A team that runs 34 on D is going to pay him a bunch of money. He could be an all-world OLB in that scheme.

Imagine him going to Houston...They run a 3-4 right? Watt and Irvin would make a deadly pair

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
HawkMeat":26l9m4rz said:
Greenhell":26l9m4rz said:
He knows how well he's got it in Seattle. A constant contender for future championships the next 5 years.IMO, He'd be dumb to take a money grab and play for a lesser team.
I honestly don't think that is dumb. Look at Tate. Doubled his money, almost, and we'll deserved.

Irvin ri take a 3 million a year discount with the possibility your team gets into the playoffs is silly, and just bad business. There are zero guarantees the team makes the playoffs again. You take the money..every....single...time. the only caveat is your offers are not much more and you'd have to go to Cleveland... :)

Too bad Tate wont sniff the playoffs until he moves on from Detroit either...he did win his ring though so im sure he doesnt care as much

mistaowen

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":29m2t7us said:
Mistashoesta":29m2t7us said:

Next man up.

Browns should offer him 7 year contract $95 mil, 80 guaranteed.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I'd like to keep Bruce. With pass rushers at a premium, I feel like they'll try to. Does anything think moving him to LB thus lowering his sack total will weaken his market and allow us to retain him?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2shvf67y said:
Mistashoesta":2shvf67y said:

Next man up.

Exactly! I've already colored him gone, setting myself of nicely of an 'unexpected surprise' :mrgreen: