Is Chris Matthews the Real Deal?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3sxpafyu said:
ImTheScientist":3sxpafyu said:
jlwaters1":3sxpafyu said:
I'd put money on Norwood being a bigger factor than Matthews this year. I think Norwood is going to have breakout year.
Based on?
Not based on anything. I think Norwood's more talented. I think he's being overlooked.

If Norwood can stay healthy, he needs to show something on special teams, or he'll continue to be a healthy scratch on game day.

timmat

Reaction score
The last game the guy played in, he kicked butt. In the game before that, he came up with a huge play. He should get a solid chance in game situations next season, at least early in the year, to find out what we've got here.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Pete will certainly give him his shot. But NFL defenders and coaches will be turning down the screws on him now, to see if he can beat more attention and planning. If he can overcome that, we've got a starting receiver. If not, we don't.

netskier

Reaction score
That was true last year, but this year they will have to devise ways to defend two fast and quick, tall guys simultaneously. No one has the height assets to handle both at once.

The LOB has shut down Jimmy by himself last year. Now let's try to shut down the a Graham and Matthews combo, particularly spread widely to both sides to motivate defense to unload the box against Lynch.

Any ideas on how to do this.

Sherman has to press Jimmy at the los, giving up 75 pounds. Cary Williams has to press Mathews, giving up 23 pounds.

The height advantages are four inches in both cases. Ever try to rebound against a guy four inches taller?

I would love to hear your ideas on how to defend this combination.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3lgk7omi said:
jlwaters1":3lgk7omi said:
ImTheScientist":3lgk7omi said:
jlwaters1":3lgk7omi said:
I'd put money on Norwood being a bigger factor than Matthews this year. I think Norwood is going to have breakout year.
Based on?
Not based on anything. I think Norwood's more talented. I think he's being overlooked.

If Norwood can stay healthy, he needs to show something on special teams, or he'll continue to be a healthy scratch on game day.
His big problem last year was getting injured 1st week of camp and missing all the valuable reps in the preseason, and yet they kept him. I thought he played well when he did play, I think this offseason with Russell will be critical, I wonder when they'll do their annual trip to cali to throw and bond.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
netskier":3azmpy1r said:
We can recreate the enormous size matchup on EVERY play simply by playing both JG with CM on the same down.

Great height is rare for wide receivers, and much rarer for defensive backs.

What am I missing here.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Imagine this goal line package:

JG (6'7")
Matthews (6'5")
L. Willson (6'5")

Along with ML & RW as running threats.

Whether it's to win a Super Bowl with 20 seconds left or convert a 2-pt. conversion, that group would be ttough for ANY D to stop.

Paschtorian

Reaction score
Matthews will be a starter on this team (LONGGGGGGGG before Lockett gets the job.

Bank it.

netskier

Reaction score
I can not decide whether Norwood or Matthews will be the bigger factor this year, with Jimmy drawing double coverage, plus Lynch drawing his usual eight man coverage. Something has to give, and it won't be us. Norwood is the runt receiver, at six two, 202 lbs. That is a damn big runt.

LTH

Reaction score
I think there is something to be said for his great performance in the SB...Obviously he has a lot of talent and is developing nicely...

LTH

netskier

Reaction score
Jl Waters, the receivers were in Hermosa and Manhattan Beach, last April, from at least 15-21.

BTW, Pete still has a house in Manhattan Beach, and is there most of the Summer.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Looking at the glass half full.....based on our injury prone '14 season....it would just be our luck to have Jimmy Graham go down with an ACL tear in the first game. Then the load drops entirely on CM's shoulders.....then we'll see what he is made of. :roll:

jlwaters1

Reaction score
netskier":1mwbwvx4 said:
Jl Waters, the receivers were in Hermosa and Manhattan Beach, last April, from at least 15-21.

BTW, Pete still has a house in Manhattan Beach, and is there most of the Summer.
Yeah I was thinking mid April, they've done it the last two years, seems to be a very positive trip.. I just wish Richardson was healthy. I'm excited to see how Norwood, Matthews, and Richardson develops this year, hopefully Paul will be able to play the 2nd half of this season.

Rob12

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":30a5tpm4 said:
Any receiver that's the proverbial "real deal" would've burned Brandon Browner all day long, not gotten shut down by him.

It was his first real burn in a game, the SB nonetheless, and he finished with well over a hundred yards and looked very good in the process.

I just think responses like that are lacking. He looked great in the SB, and NE made some adjustments to neutralize him. That happens to some of the game's best receivers (say hi, Jimmy).

He won't be a Megatron or Dez Bryant, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see this kid rack up a few 600-800 yard/8-10 TD seasons.

And let's cut out the "if he was the man we would have seen him earlier" talk. Pete does things differently and we all know it. He brings young players along very slowly. Are we pretending that we don't know this?

Let's give the kid a chance. We might have something with him.

rideaducati

Reaction score
SeahawksBMX":1ov1ttcq said:
netskier":1ov1ttcq said:
We can recreate the enormous size matchup on EVERY play simply by playing both JG with CM on the same down.

Great height is rare for wide receivers, and much rarer for defensive backs.

What am I missing here.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Imagine this goal line package:

JG (6'7")
Matthews (6'5")
L. Willson (6'5")

Along with ML & RW as running threats.

Whether it's to win a Super Bowl with 20 seconds left or convert a 2-pt. conversion, that group would be ttough for ANY D to stop.

And they can add in a FB or another WR or go with three TEs...McCoy is 6'4".

Rob12

Reaction score
BlueBlood":1m6pchjy said:
Malcom Smith had a great SuperBowl wouldnt you say? Anyone care to look up his snap count and satistics? Ill save you the pain, worse than Aaron Curry. Matthews is a big dude who appeared to catch with his hand and position himself pretty well but there has to be a reason he wasnt getting run during the regular season wouldnt you think? Need a bigger sample size and after all, the coaches see him everyday in practice. Id think if he dominated in practice the way he did in the Super Bowl that hed declared the next best thing by now. He looked amazing, I loved what I saw but Im really not sure what to think.

Malcolm Smith played on one of the most elite defenses in the modern era - if not the best. He also enjoyed years playing under Pete Carroll, both in college and the NFL.

How does this relate at all to Chris Matthews?

Rob12

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":hxjxfm1b said:
Looking at the glass half full.....based on our injury prone '14 season....it would just be our luck to have Jimmy Graham go down with an ACL tear in the first game. Then the load drops entirely on CM's shoulders.....then we'll see what he is made of. :roll:

You should probably be banned for saying such a thing.

netskier

Reaction score
Big Pumpkin, that is the half empty view.

We saw that in the Superbowl with all those injuries.

Teams illustrate the principle that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, also called synergy.

Just as in basketball, it takes height to defend height in the passing game. And now we have a lot of tall receivers, and one of them, Jimmy, actually meets all of the criteria for a True Number One receiver listed by HawkSureThing, particularly "demanding double coverage", and this opens up other receivers, particularly extra tall ones such as Matthews.

devilhawk88

Reaction score
Maybe, just maybe, the reason that Browner wasn't "burned" by CM wasn't because of CM. Maybe it was where a particular QB placed the ball. Just like the last pass of the game from that same QB that didn't result in a SB winning touchdown. Just another possibility. :stirthepot: